How do you calculate calorie burn rate?

• Hello All!

I am wondering how you can calculate the calorie burn rate for an exercise you do.

Example: Walking in soft snow for 30 minutes (sledging with my boys), but not walking over the whole half hour at a speed of 2.5 mph (= 17:00 minutes per mile).

I have got a burn rate for "walking in soft snow at a speed of 2.5 mph".

So, how can I try to calculate this best?

Thanks for your advice,
    Beni
  • I might count it as "walking 2.5 miles per hour" for however long you think you walked. Then the snow part is just a bonus recorded by your body.
  • Quote:
    I am wondering how you can calculate the calorie burn rate for an exercise you do.
    I don't. It's impossible to do so with any accuracy what so ever.

And besides it's not necessary for me to know. It doesn't change how I eat. I don't consume more calories due to my activity level or exercise level. I eat what I eat. I burn what I burn.

Any calories burned do to exercise, movement or activity is an added bonus in the calorie deficit department.
  • I don't either. I used to count it and eat more on the days I had intense exercise and all it did was cause me to plateau and then eventually gain weight.

Exercise is a bonus health booster for me... I have fun, I relax, I de-stress, I get stronger, I have better lung-heart function, I burn off excess glucose, better manage my insulin, whatever.

As to burning last night's dinner? Who knows and I don't care.
  • I don't count exercise either. I just keep my food calories in line and I don't worry about the ones I expend except for making sure I stay as active as possible.
  • Interesting thoughts
    Thanks so much for sharing!

I am just getting a bit frustrated at the moment as I cannot walk as usual due to the bad weather conditions (storm and ice). I try to do some different exercise, but it doesn't work on an every day basis at the moment...