Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #1  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

Default perspective shift sedentary to active lifestyle

I've noticed my perspective and expectations are different now that i'm trying to burn as many calories as i can each day. Each time i move a little more, it's adding a few extra calories burned for the day. So..

i used to hate washing a ton of dishes, now i remember i can do hanstring curls or other exercises while i do them, or just standing burns more cal. than sitting.

complain about going all the way accross super wal-mart to the bathroom with my kids (last trip it was 2 different times), but now i'm thankful for the extra steps.

we went to the pumpkin farm and i volunteered to take the kiddies on bathroom breaks.

we took the tractor ride and i wanted to walk the whole way.

i also took extra trips up and down the stairs when we were visiting family for Thanksgiving. I was very thankful there was stairs, i don't have any at home.

anyone else notice this?

Last edited by katy trail; 12-06-2010 at 05:42 PM.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

amen sister!!!! thats exactly it!!! I do that at work, when going up stairs i take my time and focus on my muscles! woot woot!~
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #3  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Totally! And this time of year Christmas shopping, it's not necessarily a bad thing that you don't get "rock star" parking next to the store
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #4  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

The big one for me is grocery shopping. I used to park as close to the door as I could, get what I need and be done. Now I park waaay at the back of the parking lot and browse all the aisles. What used to be a quick in-and-out trip is now a long walk. It's a lot more interesting than doing an hour of walking on a treadmill (gotta love people watching in Walmart).
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hahaha, I assume y'all know about the website People of Walmart, right?

I take the stairs instead of the escalators at train/subway stations now, and I feel positively disgusting if I don't do hard, sweaty cardio for more than one day. I like walking and I wouldn't dream of buying a bicycle to get around. Having to take the time to walk is nice. Walking time is plugged-in-to-music and thinking time.

I'm really, really going to miss my walking-everywhere lifestyle when I move back to America. I hope I can recreate it. I'm thinking of setting rules for myself, like "no driving anywhere closer than 2 miles."
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #6  
Mini Goal 2 reached!

S/C/G: 164/142.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

I can agree with everything except the not being disappointed about the lack of rockstar parking thing, LOL. I live in WI, and today the wind chill was 0. I don't mind walking, just make sure I'm warm LOL!
Andejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #7  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

I had the same shift. I always use the stairs and I like to walk and talk when I'm on the phone, even if it is just walking around my house.
WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #8  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i don't talk on the phone that much(kind of a surprise, since i usually can't stop talking) but i do that too, and when i'm brushing my teeth. or hold the squat the position. i'm all about squats baby! i've found so many different ways to do lower body moves throughout the day. then if i didn't get a real w/o at least i did something.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I hear ya. I do squats when I blow dry my hair after a shower.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #10  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I love walking everywhere and am grateful I live in a large city where I can do that. The last place I lived hardly had sidewalks even if I DID want to walk somewhere. Now I live near the train line I take to my work, and when at work I don't have my car so anywhere I want to go is done by walking - including the gym which is 1/2 mile from my office!!! I love the built in exercise.

I also take the stairs every time at work - and I am on the 5th floor so it's a bit of a work out.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #11  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

no kidding. this shift in attitude is what's made me love mowing the lawn.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

My house is so mcuh cleaner! I used to relax in front of the TV at night but now I can't stand sitting for too long so I'm cleanign the house, rearranging the bedroom, doing the laundry, ironing, etc. It seems I've gone from a couch potato to someone who is constantly moving.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote