Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #16  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

just simple regular exercise. some kind of exercise or extra moving each day.

and learning that the portion sizes i'm 'soposed' to eat, do actually apply to me.

what i know now is that the cycle starts with exercise. intense, give everything i have cardio usually. but it starts there.
exercise, control myself when i eat afterwards so i don't undo the cal. i burned, eat what is 'worth' it, bc i don't want to spend 2 hours running off a peice of cake, or more likely a block of cheese.

what's different now is, when i over eat, or eat when i'm not hungry, i'm AWARE of it. for so many years i wasn't aware. and that means i'm less likely to do it, and can stop when i recognize it.

i'm only just starting to learn about ways to cook low fat or without fat. i wish i knew in my teen years. i was interested in cooking, the info is so much more available now. and info about very healthy food like vegan or just lots of whole foods.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #17  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

If I had realised sooner why I overate/ate emotionally, I don't think I would have gained quite as much weight as I did. I also wish I hadn't stopped exercising-- which was partially tied in with the same childhood stuff that lead to the eating part-- because even though I was always a little heavier, staying active helped to keep my weight down. When I stopped completely is when things got really out of hand. If I had known to just keep up with the exercise while working out the eating problems, I would never have stopped!
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #18  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I should never have allowed myself to go so long without a scale. There's a lot of other stuff I never had the power to change, so I'm sticking with something I know for sure was under my control: I should've bought a scale long before I did.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 AM   #19  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinef View Post
I should never have allowed myself to go so long without a scale. There's a lot of other stuff I never had the power to change, so I'm sticking with something I know for sure was under my control: I should've bought a scale long before I did.
I like this one: my mother always encouraged me to never weigh, just go by your clothes, but it turns out accurate knowledge helps me, it doesn't demoralize.

I wish I had known that "calorie counting" doesn't automatically mean "900 calories a day, 1200 if you are a total wimp". I basically either tried to eat 900 calories (and would be perfect for 3-6 months before collapsing) or ate whatever I could get my hands on.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I would never have started eating butter again, and I would have moved to a place that was more walking friendly sooner, and I would have a left an unsatisfying relationship sooner.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I gained most of my weight before the age of 14 so it is difficult to say what I would've done differently because my mom tried to cook healthy foods and we didn't eat processed junk and I was involved in activities. I think if I had a chance, I would've had a doctor look into my irregular periods more but what would they have done for a 12-13 yr old with irregular/heavy periods? I'm guessing they would think that was normal.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #22  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I wish somebody had taught me portion control. I remember my dad scooping me HUUUGE bowls of ice cream that were probably 4 or 5 servings. I was always told to clean my plate, even if I had very large portions. I was always given the last little bit so leftovers weren't cluttering the fridge. I was taught about the economics of getting the bang for your buck...the King Size Snickers bar is cheaper by the ounce than the regular-sized one...get the King Size. As a result, my idea of what a satisfying portion is, is very skewed. I KNOW that an appropriate portion of meat is about the size of a deck of cards, but even after a year of eating better, it just looks so tiny and unsatisfying and I feel deprived if I eat that tiny piece.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #23  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Three things from me:

1. If only I'd known about portion control, specifically that a portion of chicken is HALF a breast.

2. I wish I'd known it was ok to weigh daily. I doubt I'd have put on so much if I had been watching the number go up and up and up.

3. I wish I'd known how different my activity level was going from walking everywhere in college to moving into basically a desk job after college. I didn't realize I'd gone from active to sedentary. I hadn't realized I was active in college because I didn't do any formal exercise. Just walking (ALOT) was enough.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-23-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I wish I had known that I wasn't actually fat. Five to ten pounds over weight, even twenty is not an emergency!

If I hadn't thought I was already a lost cause, I would have taken better care of myself.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

1) Education. I never learned anything about nutrition, calories, exercise, food, until recently. I wish I had been taught these details and how our bodies respond to food twenty years ago.

2) PCOS treatment. I wish I had treated my PCOS differently. I didn't know what it meant when I was first diagnosed, so I ignored it for MANY years. I wish I hadn't now. I think my weight loss would have been easier and faster when I was younger.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #26  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I wish I had known it was okay to stand up for myself.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #27  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I wish I had known that I wasn't actually fat. Five to ten pounds over weight, even twenty is not an emergency!

If I hadn't thought I was already a lost cause, I would have taken better care of myself.
Couldn't have said that better myself Nicole. I always felt fat, so I thought, well, I might as well be fat. So, I never took care of myself either. When I graduated high school, I was 122 pounds. And I felt fat? WTH was I thinking? It's amazing what your mind can convince you of. Now, I wish I was 222. LOL! I'll get there. Eventually.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #28  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I really don't know. The first time I ever strung two words together to form a sentence, I said "More ham."

There was no isolated incident that caused me to put on weight or develop issues with food. I have just always liked eating. I'm not sure my childhood weight gain was really preventable since at the time I didn't know or care about calories and nutrition.

As for slowly putting on lost weight throughout college and Japan, there were factors. For starters, I would have said "**** no" to the bagels with cream cheese I ate for breakfast every summer at my internship. I suppose I would have been more vigilant about taking my birth control pill. I managed to gain 5 lbs in 4 weeks of pregnancy and instead of working to get rid of the gain, I just pretended it wasn't there. Like the bagels and cream cheese weight, instead of acknowledging something had to be done, I just accepted it.

It's all complicated I suppose. Being fat was just part of who I was and I would be very different now if I had always been normal or thin.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

That a fetus the size of a grain of rice doesn't need 6 slices of pizza to grow!!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #30  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I wish I had known that "calorie counting" doesn't automatically mean "900 calories a day, 1200 if you are a total wimp". I basically either tried to eat 900 calories (and would be perfect for 3-6 months before collapsing) or ate whatever I could get my hands on.
Right! When I was a teenager, I thought you had to just pretty much not eat at all to lose weight. THAT didn't last long! Then in the early 90s I thought you had to eat less than 10 fat grams a day. That actually got me down 70lbs, but one trip to New Orleans and THAT was over. Then I thought replacing 2 meals a day with a sugary milkshake was the ONLY way, after all, that feeling of being STARVING must mean I'm on the right track! Too bad that soon went by the wayside as well. I guess bottom line is I thought to lose any meaningful weight there had to be lots of suffering invovled -- and turns out I don't do suffering well!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote