Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #16  

Height: 5'4"

I should weigh my food again, i used to weigh every crumb. I've basically been watching what i eat since i was 15. I've been back on somewhat track for several weeks/months now. I know the areas i could do better. Your right, more veggies i do need. I'm totally a carb person which is bad! I think when i got discouraged is when i joined ww for SEVERAL months and plateaued after 4 lbs. I tracked every crumb in my mouth one week and stayed the same for the next two weeks. My body just won't let go is my fear

Thank you Eliana, i do take it well, that's what we are here for right? No one is out to bash another. That other thread got way out of hand with the defensiveness!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #17  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You could be eating too many carbs- that does it for me.

Also- I would try 1400-1500 calories and see how that works for you- we are about the same weight and when I ate 1200-1300 calories the scale did NOT budge.

I didn't see it but did you say you are exercising? If you are then 1200-1300 is definitely too low. And water water water- you need plenty of it- that hurts me too.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #18  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Carb doesn't have to be bad! I've just changed onto a higher carb diet for the winter months, and it has given me a bit of a kick off the same couple of pounds I was going up and down. Of course, it could also be that with trying something new, I'm concentrating more on the weighing and measuring too.
and good luck!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #19  
Child of Har, 6rayedstar

S/C/G: 361/200/150

Height: 5'4

Trouble shooting points:

How is your sleep?
Lack of sleep contributes to a rise in cortisol which promotes weight gain

Is your strength training really intense?
You could be building muscle which will add weight to a scale. You could be retaining water, from the muscle use which also adds weight

What's your sodium intake?
too much salt in your diet makes you apt to hold water

What's your cardio like?
The cardio you do has to be real. You mentioned sculpting, but how are you feeling as you do that cardio? If you are not out of breath, sweating heavily or showing signs of exertion, you may not be working hard enough. I know that is hard to hear, but it's happened to me and many others. Your body ajusts to certian work outs and they are not as effective. taking lots of breaks also reduces the calorie burn because your body recovers and slows down its fuel use.

How do you count calories?
Splenda, veggies, bites of chocolate, ONE gumdrop, a small fruit ALL have calories. you could be padding your diet with these things. Its important to weigh, measure, and record every single little thing you put in your mouth. A PLAIN black dunkin donuts coffee can be as much as 15 calories. Nope that's not a lot until you become a 4 cup a day person like me. Then suddenly you realize you are drinking nearly 100 calories worth of coffee. Accuracy is almost anal retentive, but you must realize that your body tallies that accurately. Think of the accuracy of your body temperature. If you are even two degree's above normal you begin to feel hot or even feverish. That is how accurate your diet needs to be, because YOUR BODY KNOWS WHAT ITS EATING even if you forget.

Are you eating too little/going into starvation mode?
1200 calories sounds really low if you are exercising as much as you report. You may have inadvertently slowed your own metabolism. Cut back on the exercise for one week and see what happens. Record the results daily by weigh ins and see if you see some pound slippage. If that doesnt work, maintain the same exercise schedule but increase the calories by 100 a day for one week and record daily. All of this is called "tweaking" and you may need to do a lot of that to figure out what your body wants. It may need a physical break or it may need more food.

What are you eating?
your body may be holding on to fat, because the minerals that are contained in that fat are no longer being supplied in your diet. Make sure you are taking vitamins and protein to replenish what may be missing. The most common lacks are: Vitamin D, B12, Iron, Zinc and Calcium. Check your cravings and they may give you a clue to what vitamin you lack. 1200 calories is so low and if you are eating TV dinner's they don't have all of the trace minerals you need.
Harsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #20  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsdottir View Post
Trouble shooting points:

How is your sleep?
Lack of sleep contributes to a rise in cortisol which promotes weight gain

Sleep is bad, up alot at night, started taking melatonin nightly.

Is your strength training really intense?
You could be building muscle which will add weight to a scale. You could be retaining water, from the muscle use which also adds weight

Depending on the body part i usually do 40 - 120 lbs, depending upper/lower

What's your sodium intake?
too much salt in your diet makes you apt to hold water

I know my dinners (lean cusine) are high in salt, i have swollen fingers.

What's your cardio like?
The cardio you do has to be real. You mentioned sculpting, but how are you feeling as you do that cardio? If you are not out of breath, sweating heavily or showing signs of exertion, you may not be working hard enough. I know that is hard to hear, but it's happened to me and many others. Your body ajusts to certian work outs and they are not as effective. taking lots of breaks also reduces the calorie burn because your body recovers and slows down its fuel use.

Arc trainer, treadmill on highest incline 3.3, stair master, i did in the past alot of spinning classes

How do you count calories?
Splenda, veggies, bites of chocolate, ONE gumdrop, a small fruit ALL have calories. you could be padding your diet with these things. Its important to weigh, measure, and record every single little thing you put in your mouth. A PLAIN black dunkin donuts coffee can be as much as 15 calories. Nope that's not a lot until you become a 4 cup a day person like me. Then suddenly you realize you are drinking nearly 100 calories worth of coffee. Accuracy is almost anal retentive, but you must realize that your body tallies that accurately. Think of the accuracy of your body temperature. If you are even two degree's above normal you begin to feel hot or even feverish. That is how accurate your diet needs to be, because YOUR BODY KNOWS WHAT ITS EATING even if you forget.

I need to be more conscious of the little bites or picking at foods here and there.

Are you eating too little/going into starvation mode?
1200 calories sounds really low if you are exercising as much as you report. You may have inadvertently slowed your own metabolism. Cut back on the exercise for one week and see what happens. Record the results daily by weigh ins and see if you see some pound slippage. If that doesnt work, maintain the same exercise schedule but increase the calories by 100 a day for one week and record daily. All of this is called "tweaking" and you may need to do a lot of that to figure out what your body wants. It may need a physical break or it may need more food.

I probably should eat more calories but mentally it's hard as i easily gain.

What are you eating?
your body may be holding on to fat, because the minerals that are contained in that fat are no longer being supplied in your diet. Make sure you are taking vitamins and protein to replenish what may be missing. The most common lacks are: Vitamin D, B12, Iron, Zinc and Calcium. Check your cravings and they may give you a clue to what vitamin you lack. 1200 calories is so low and if you are eating TV dinner's they don't have all of the trace minerals you need.
I crave chocolate and chips type foods alot

Last edited by pointspluspioneer; 11-18-2010 at 03:05 PM.
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #21  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by distraught dieter View Post
I crave chocolate and chips type foods alot
Chocolate = I like lindt 80% cocoa or even 65% cocoa. I find just a small piece of that satisfies a craving b/c it is so dark.

Chips = I like the brand "Food Should Taste Good". If you can control yourself to have only one serving, they are about 140 calories for 10 - 12 chips. Which doesn't SOUND like a lot, but the chips are very satisfying to me. "The Works" and "multigrain" have lots of bits and seeds in them. They are hearty chips with a bit of protein and fiber. I smear my laughing cow wedge on them and had an indulgent crunchy snack for only 175 calories.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote