3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Issues with blood sugar

Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #1

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Default Issues with blood sugar

I think this needs to go under General Chatter. I'm sorry, I'm horrible at placing things.
---

It IS totally possible to be hypoglycemic but not be diabetic or anything, right? I know I need to go see a doctor, but I don't have medical insurance right now and it's not THAT big of a deal, but it IS getting annoying.

If I don't eat every 4-5 hours, I start getting quiet, I get shakey and anxious, etc. It happens a lot more often than it used to. I used to work 8hours with either one or no breaks in between, but lately if I don't have something right then and there I feel horrible. I've almost passed out once, I was literally seconds away before I jammed a donut into my mouth (before I started losing weight.)

It's just so inconvenient, I try to remember to pack snacks, but I only can remember half the time. And I do have a glucose monitor so I do keep track of my blood sugar, and I'm never super low or super high. So I just don't get it. I wonder if it will get better with the more weight I lose, or if it's just something unique to me I'll have to deal with.

Does anyone else have issues with their blood sugar, though? I know a while ago a few people here were telling me if I'm getting lows that I've got to be spiking, which I guess makes sense. I ate breakfast today at 9:30 and was fine until 12ish, but started feeling sick around 1 and didn't get to eat until 3something.

(I need a box that pops up and says- You already made this topic, doofus! I completely forgot. SORRY EVERYONE.)

Last edited by yhahmd : 11-05-2010 at 04:46 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi!

You've asked questions like this before. It's not unusual for someone who hasn't eaten in 4-5 hours and has been busy the whole time to get lightheaded. It's just too long to go for most folks, especially if you are restricting calories. Just my opinion.

I'd say, stop looking for an "illness indicator" and remember to pack your snacks! You can't go from 9:30 to 3 without eating and expect to feel hunky dory.

Jay
Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Obese Runner

S/C/G: 260/202.2/healthy

Height: 5'3

I've always had problems with my blood sugar, if I go to long without eating I start to feel lightheaded then I sweat and eventually I see black spots that continue to get bigger until all I see is black and after that I assume I would faint. Luckily my mom was there and once my vision went totally black she handed me a banana and I started to see again. I've had several close encounters like this, I always keep something to eat in my purse. One time all I had was bite size reese cups in my purse and they were not working at all I was so scared and did not want to faint at my daughters soccer game. Thankfully I just stayed calm because if I freak out (which rarely happens) I will burn up a lot of cals and this will make it worse.

I've been tested for diabetes several times and they all come back negative. I was googling this same subject a couple of days ago and what I found was eating protein at every meal helps stabilize the blood sugar and it keeps it from going low soon after meals. I read the worst kind of diet for a person who battles with low blood sugar is a high carb, low protein diet. This is exactly what I was doing, I had very little protein in my diet and over 300g of carbs. So for the past couple of days I have been eating or drinking a protein shake with every meal and I am feeling way better. When I was eating the high carb diet I was tired and hungry the whole time.

I also eat every 1-3 hours, I can feel my blood sugar start to dip and I make something to eat because if I wait I start shaking and I don't want to faint when its just me and my 3 year old. I eat/drink about 120-150g of protein a day, and then I limit my carbs to around 100-200g a day. I usually end up at 150g for carbs. The protein shake I drink is muscle milk and muscle milk light, if I need more fat I drink the regular but if I don't need more fat then I drink the light. I much prefer to eat my protein but sometimes I need something quick and this is where the protein shake comes in. Mine has 195 cals with 25g of protein. I'm also a runner and since I started drinking it again I feel more toned, plus I have been losing weight every single day! which never happened when I was eating high carb.

I have to pick up my daughter from school in a couple of mins so I have to wrap this up but my advice is to eat at least 20g of protein at each meal. For example if I eat a cup of grapes I make half of a protein shake to drink after I'm done eating the grapes. Grapes do not help keep my blood sugar steady, they are quickly absorbed and then I crash again. So the protein helps a lot. Also today I started feeling tired and I noticed that I had a good amount of protein but hardly any fat, so I ate a 2 egg omelet with ham and cheese and some oil. I started to feel better and my energy came back. I can't do high protein, low fat, low carb. If my protein is high I have to eat some fat also or else I feel tired. Hopefully what I said helps. I track my food using calorie count. I am also able to raise my cal limit while eating more protein. I was eating about 1500 cals a day but with higher protein I can eat 2000 cals and lose weight.
VERTICAL SLEEVE (VSG)

19Deltawifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hi!

You've asked questions like this before. It's not unusual for someone who hasn't eaten in 4-5 hours and has been busy the whole time to get lightheaded. It's just too long to go for most folks, especially if you are restricting calories. Just my opinion.

I'd say, stop looking for an "illness indicator" and remember to pack your snacks! You can't go from 9:30 to 3 without eating and expect to feel hunky dory.

Jay
I know I totally forgot I did until I made the topic (that area where I just wrote I remembered it in the post I just made), I have such crappy memory.
If anything I should get my brain checked lol.

yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw186/gw120

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Your symptoms seem like low blood sugar, and some people have symptoms when they have significant drops, even if the number on the glucometer is not officially low.
The answer, as discussed above is small frequent meals. If you have symptoms with a normal diet, of course you should see your doctor, but basically the word is to eat regularly. Otherwise its just not healthy.

zen and the art of weight loss, finding the true path of en-lighten-ment

fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

I used to think I had low blood sugar but I started testing when I felt it was low. If the readings said normal glucose then I lay down and waited for the feeling to pass and it did. I realised that I didn't feel any less hungry when I ate than when I didn't eat because my signals were all messed up, so I'd eat something, but only a set amount, not eat until I felt better. Now I eat regularly to a timetable and the problem has gone away, but it was rarely genuine low blood sugar.

Immediate goal:
Undo holiday lapse, back to 160
BMI under 30: Maintained THREE YEARS!
BMI back under 28:
BMI back under 25:
Goal:
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Obese Runner

S/C/G: 260/202.2/healthy

Height: 5'3

Also with veggies they don't do anything for my blood sugar, I quickly crash after eating those also unless I eat my veggies with a egg or some type of protein. My husband can go the whole day without eating and be just fine but me on the other hand I can't. I really should get a blood sugar monitor or tester thingy. I just never thought it was something simple like more protein that would help and I'm not saying this is the case with everyone but for me it definitely helps. Good Luck
VERTICAL SLEEVE (VSG)

19Deltawifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.