What's been your most successful diet?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I've done just about every diet out there, as many people have, but I find that most of the higher protein diets work best for me. I never feel deprived and my cravings for sweets disappear. The only thing I don't like about it is a miss my fruit.

How about you guys? What has been your favorite diet where you've been the most satisfied and had the most success?
  • Calorie counting is the only way I've ever had any success.
  • Calorie counting for me too
  • Calorie counting + lower (but not low) carb/higher protein/higher fiber.

But it's not really a diet. I expect to count calories for the rest of my life.
  • The South Beach Diet and calorie counting. Can't say any diet could fall into a "favorites" category, but those seem the most reasonable for the long term. Now if I can only give myself a chance to see if that's true!
  • Calorie counting.
  • I lost almost 90 pounds calorie counting in 2006. Gained most of it back. Came back this fall and tried WW. It was not working for me, so I am back calorie counting with moderate carbs.

Good Luck!
  • Calorie counting and exercise has worked best for me.
  • The exchange program worked for me.
  • This is my first diet ever. I've been calorie counting and trying to eat well...complex carbs, lean protein, not a lot of fats, plenty of fiber, no processed sugar, more veg, some fruits, usually berries though I love bananas. Mainly keeping track of what I eat, portion sizes and LOTS of exercise. It works when I stay on plan, and even when I can't exercise much and I don't eat perfectly, I was able to maintain pretty much. This summer was just so hectic for us that i lost track, but I didn't gain even though I worried I would.

I like counting calories becuase I can choose what I eat. If I want to blow my cals on cookies for breakfast, I can. That said, it usually just isn't worth it...and I make better choices without feeling like I am on a no fun no food *DIET*

Barb
  • Calorie Counting works best for me and I've tried them all ( or so it seems )
  • Weight watchers now...calorie counting in the past...either way, recording my food seems to help.
  • For me the only thing that has worked so far has been a combination of calorie counting with moderate carbs.

carlyjordon2002 I consider my eating plan to be moderate on carbs (at least moderate for a carb junkie like me) and I tend to settle around 100 - 130 g of carbs a day give or take. On a really heavy carb day I might hit around 150 or so.
  • I lost 72 pounds on Jenny Craig in the early 90s. Although I gained all the weight back and then some, it wasn't until many years after I left the JC program and got a desk job instead of the retail jobs I'd previously worked; I was able to maintain it for nearly five years. The JC food was fairly tasty as frozen/packaged food goes; I did get a little bored with it after a few months, but I never suffered. The center offered more frills than I ever took advantage of--classes on maintenance, support group meetings, cooking lessons, and so forth. My counselor was awesome.

In fact, if I were to win the lottery, I'd probably head right back to Jenny, but barring that, there just aren't funds available for it. So calorie-counting I shall go!

Rather than continue to beat myself up about having to re-lose all that "post-Jenny" weight, I'm looking at it as a valuable learning experience. JC did teach me a lot about what works for me and what doesn't, so I'm glad to have that experience to call upon now that I'm trying a different road to Rome.
  • Calorie approximation and lots of cardio.

I'd say this is my most "successful" weight loss venture because in the past I was just too teenage-angsty to eat or I tried to eat as little as humanly possible.