3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   This is how you do it. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/216597-how-you-do.html)

carter 11-04-2010 06:31 PM

This is how you do it.

Here's something I'm sure has occurred to many of you - I've noticed as I go to the gym more and more frequently that I see the same trim, fit people there every day. Trim and fit people for the most part are not trim and fit by luck, but rather because they put in the time and effort to keep themselves that way. That's a good thing for me to keep in mind when I'm feeling sorry for myself because losing weight is haaaaaaard (hear that in a whiny tone).

Anyway, my gym is at my workplace, and so those same people I see there every day, I sometimes see them elsewhere around the company grounds. This evening I went to the office kitchen to cut up the orange I usually eat before I head down to the gym, and I ran into one of those people there. Though I don't know this fellow, I like him; he always has a friendly smile on his face at the gym. He's very fit, built somewhat like a gymnast, compact and strong.

He was also preparing his pre-gym snack: on a plate he had half a bell pepper, a handful of baby carrots, a cup of yogurt. He was standing over the sink peeling a kiwi.

It was rather like a tiny lightbulb clicking on in my mind. Here is a fellow whose physique and dedication I have admired as long as I've been working out in the company gym. And watching him prepare his snack - whole, colorful foods packed with vitamins and nutrients - just made me feel better about all the work I have to do to get as trim and strong as I want to be.

That's how you do it. I'm on the right track. And now, I'm off to the gym!

Onederchic 11-04-2010 07:19 PM

Awesome post! Good for you :D :hug:

Beverlyjoy 11-04-2010 07:28 PM

I agree...this is absolutley true. Great post!

Summer2010 11-04-2010 08:58 PM

Great post! Love it!

angelskeep 11-04-2010 09:00 PM

Thank you!

Barb

Nola Celeste 11-04-2010 09:08 PM

You know what's double-awesome about your post? You keep running into these same fit folks--and that means you're at the gym a lot too. Nice work! :)

stacygee 11-04-2010 09:46 PM

I work out 6 days a week and I am seeing results. Can't wait until I am in the category of a fit and trim person!

shannonmb 11-05-2010 06:32 AM

I like this post, too! Sometimes I read where someone is discouraged because so and so can eat whatever they want, and it's not fair they're still skinny. But fueling one's body properly and working it, that's something to aspire to!

thesame7lbs 11-05-2010 07:27 AM

Great post! Like Shannon says, we hear/write/think a lot about those skinny people who can "eat whatever they want" and "never exercise." Well, the reality is that those people are few and far between. Most thin, fit, healthy people are eating sensibly and working out regularly. Carter, way to be one of 'em!

Eliana 11-05-2010 07:50 AM

You're absolutely right!! The trim and fit people are the ones who are at my gym every single day. And...so am I! I'm imitating just what they do. And I will be just as fit and trim as they are.

A lot of the not-so trim and fit folks just don't stick it out. That's always sad. I'd say my dear friend and I are the only two who started out not-so trim and fit and yet still put in the time every single day.

rockinrobin 11-05-2010 08:17 AM

Ummm, yeah, that's basically it!!!

It is nice though to see affirmation of it.

I can not say that I was ever one of those who thought that people were slim by accident, or because of genetics and their metabolisms and all. I pretty much knew that anyone who was slim was there because they worked for it. I guess I was just not willing to put forth the effort. Not sure why.

I knew it looked like a great life to be slim. But it did seem to entail "all that work". Upon fearing for my life and realizing I had no choice but to put forth that effort, I quickly came to realize that all that "work" was 10000% worth it. It's like I was let into the club.. It was a big secret. All that work and discipline came with over the top rewards and those *sacrifices* are negligible compared to what you get back and don't seem like sacrifices at all. :)

Belinda0509 11-05-2010 08:50 AM

Great post!

Have you ever watched Gilmore Girls and see the amounts of food Laurali & Rory supposedly eat? When you look at them though you realize there is no way they eat like that in real life because they are so fit and trim. I'm sure they work really hard to keep those trim figures.

Eliana 11-05-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belinda0509 (Post 3554064)
Great post!

Have you ever watched Gilmore Girls and see the amounts of food Laurali & Rory supposedly eat? When you look at them though you realize there is no way they eat like that in real life because they are so fit and trim. I'm sure they work really hard to keep those trim figures.

There are several shows like this. They love to make the skinny girl eat. And they start them young! "Sam" on "iCarly" will eat anything and loves fried chicken. "Kenzie" on NCIS LA was compared to a goat on the last episode I watched

carter 11-05-2010 09:45 AM

In defense of thin people, there are thin people who love to eat rich fattening foods - I hope I can manage to be one of them - they just do what we here are learning to do, plan for it, adjust for it, do it once in a while, enjoy smaller portions of it, etc.

As for the gym, I don't manage to go every day. I aim for 5 days a week (as I mentioned it's at my workplace), and most weeks I go 4 days. Every once in a while I hit all 5 days.

I'm happy with that for now because I used to aim for 3 days a week and only manage two. ;) Anyhow I'm okay with having room for improvement, because it gives me somewhere to go when/if the weight loss slows down more than I'd like.

Glad you all enjoyed the post!

SillyFilly17 11-05-2010 10:16 AM

I love this post. Just makes you think that all bodies are basically created equal and the same things apply to us all. Less calories into the body and burn off more calories than you eat. Simple math, right!?!

Well done!!