Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/160.2/135

Height: 5'6.5

Default Need help thinking of non-food rewards :)

Hey all,

So, I'm big on rewards. I find it's the best way to motivate myself. However, up until quite recently, rewards have always been food. Chocolate for running more than 5 miles, Chipoltle for finishing a big work project, etc..

What are some non food rewards? The ones I've typically seen are things I'm not interested in like messages, manicures, clothes etc. (well, I am interested in clothes but there's no way I'm going to invest money in being this size!). I guess I don't go for the "girlie" stuffs.

So, I'm curious, how do y'all like to reward yourself for a job well done?
YoYono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Fitness equipment
Cooking equipment
Gourmet/fancy ingredients that are also low-cal (spices, vanilla beans, etc)

All of those things both reward me for staying on track (woohoo! New gadget!) but also motivate me to STAY on track.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #3  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Fun time - doing something I really want to.
- Spend time with a friend
- Video game time
- Read a good book
- Needlework
- Go for a fun drive or bike ride
- Movie
- etc.

My suggestion: make a list of things you love to do with your free time, and promise yourself that you will set aside some time for those things when you reach your goals - then reward yourself!
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I often reward fitness with more fitness. If I meet a fitness goal (ie like your more than 5 miles goal), I pack some healthy snacks, drive to a popular mountain hike, and do one there. It's a great feeling at the end.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Here's what we do:
-Go out for coffee (I drink it with just low fat milk so there's barely any calories there)
-Workout clothes/equipment (I plan to get a new outfit once I get into onderland!!)
-Fun activities (we go to museums or might try and see a movie)
-I do make some desserts at time for big occasions (I made a cheesecake from agave nectar for DH's birthday) but we eat it MUCH slower than before
-Have friends over
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

time alone -- no spouse, kids, nothing!
library trip for books / movies
Sleep in
attend local events -- special screenings, renn faire, ghost tour etc.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

A haircut is always a great one for me when I hit a milestone of some sort.

Or getting yourself that something you have been putting off for a while buying
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I don't LOVE to cook. But I like it, and I do love it when I create something new and nutritious. So I'll spend time looking for a new recipe and buy very high end ingredients and invite a friend, or my boyfriend over for a gourmet healthy meal.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4''

small appliances. I have this weird obsession with panini makers, blenders, toaster ovens, juicers, bread machines, etc.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Default Woo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Fitness equipment
Cooking equipment
Gourmet/fancy ingredients that are also low-cal (spices, vanilla beans, etc)

All of those things both reward me for staying on track (woohoo! New gadget!) but also motivate me to STAY on track.
This is me in a nutshell!! I stopped rewarding/punishing myself with food when I started this journey, but rewards are just so lovely! So I work out my rewards with things I need or will enjoy but are still useful. For example, I had really worn out my last pair of slip-on shoes, so I used that as a reward. My next scheduled reward (one per every 10lbs lost!) is a nice haircut, which I haven't had in ages. Once I'm down about 80lbs I plan to get some nicer workout shoes, or maybe a few new pairs of workout pants. My big reward for crossing the line into onederland will be an IPod nano, and my reward for hitting goal...sexy undies!!

I totally hear what you're saying about the clothing, but I still do some thrifting at Goodwill, etc, for spare clothing while I'm in the 'in-between' phases. It's cheap, and it works until I'm at goal. I encourage you to pick things that you can treasure even after the fact because you worked really hard to get to those rewards. Some food will only last as long as it sits on that plate, and there will always be more.
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

#2 ^^ I do reward myself with clothes, but from a thrift store. I will buy a new wardrobe when back at maintenance.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #12  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I had seen an expensive little tea set at an Asian grocery close to where I live, and I just couldn't justify spending the money on it. I decided it would be my first major-goal reward. It was a fun day a couple months later going and buying that tea set when I got under 300lbs. I EARNED that!!! And now each time I have tea, I think of the amazing accomplishment I made and it just keeps me going strong!

C'mon, isn't there a little something you've seen somewhere that you sorta wanted but didn't want to just blow the money on for no reason? That's what I'd think of! I'm still figuring out what I'll get for my next major goal.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #13  

Rewards Are Great.. I Lost 100 Lbs About Two Years Ago And As A Reward , For Every 10 Lbs Lost I Would Treat Myself To A New Item Of Clothing.. And In Return I Would Donate One Of My Larger Itemsto A Charity. By The End Of My Jouney I Had A New Wardrobe.. And No " Big Clothes Left In My Closet To Grow Back Into.. This Keeps Me On Track Still. Good Luck .
FERK34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Coach!
I've "earned" Sunglasses and 2 Purses so far.
I'm getting a new pair of Uggs when I get this 16
lbs back off.

Last edited by odonnela; 10-27-2010 at 02:13 PM.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 167/160.2/135

Height: 5'6.5

Wow! Great stuffs, guys, thanks!!

Ok, I'm thinking I'll treat myself with DVDs (LOVE watching movies at home) and I love the haircut idea. First reward will be for when I break into the next decade. I can't wait
YoYono is offline   Reply With Quote