Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #1  
chick on a mission.

S/C/G: 163/159/140

Height: 5' 8"

Unhappy I Feel Like I'm Sabotaging Myself...

Hi everyone,

I started losing weight back in January, and so far I’ve lost over 30lbs. I only have 5lbs more before I reach my goal weight. Excellent, right?

My problem is that in the past three weeks, I just can’t seem to control myself. I was doing so fantastic, but lately I just can’t stop eating. I don’t know if it’s the cold weather, the fact that I’ve moved back to college or if it’s just my subconscious trying to drag me back down the slippery slope I’ve worked so hard to get away from.

I am miserable. I keep telling myself that I’ll get back on track, that it’s just a minor slip but no matter what I do, I just keep taking the chocolate if someone offers it instead of saying no, I keep eating late at night for no reason.

I really don’t get what’s wrong with me. I am SO CLOSE to goal. Surely that should be motivation enough?

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated. I know that I need to give myself a massive kick up the bum and finish this. I owe it to myself after all the hard work I’ve put into it this year.
Charmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #2  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

This happens to most of us. It is a sort of "blocking it all out" fear that happens. Making goal can mean so many different things, but it can be pretty scary. Will we be expected to be more? Do more? Expect not to have any more eating issues? What does it really mean to make it to goal and what happens then?

Goal is just number on a scale. It is not the end, beginning, or mean anything more than a number.

How you feel in your own body is the true and meaningful goal. Feeling good, feeling healthy, managing your food choices on a daily basis because you want to, not because you are on a diet, learning to be flexible, knowing when to stop eating, these kinds of things are far more important than the number goal.

I have no answers, you will have to explore your feelings and see if you can pinpoint what you are hesitating about. When I lost a great deal of weight, I felt uncomfortable in the "spotlight" of attention. It felt safer to be fat than thin. I had to deal with those feelings.

Last edited by elisaannh; 10-26-2010 at 03:44 PM.
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I just wrote a similiar post yesterday. Our stats are similiar too!

There is something about having come so far and being so close that causes me to become out of control. For me, it's like, "Ok, well I'm so close, I look pretty good...I can splurge a little." But the problem with that is that I haven't mastered the art of splurging a "little"...and I go overboard, and then I feel like crap and go overboard some more and get stuck in the binge cycle. I was thinking last night...I'm a "normal, average weight" person...but I do not have the skills of one. I still need to be almost militant with myself in order to avoid back sliding. I'm much better at losing than maintaining, I tried my hand at that for a while...

Today will be my first day back on track. I wrote down a list of my goals, some tentative goal date, what my plan will be and what I am committing too. I am NOT looking back anymore. Yes, I'm proud of how far I've come, but I need to stop basking in the glory of that and keep moving, keep meeting new challenges and accomplishing new things. And I have to be realistic...I know that I cannot really eat ONE string cheese (or tootsie roll, or oreo, etc, etc)...so I will not eat those things. And I've done enough celebrating, it's time to get back to work!

You can do it!!! I promise. I've been struggling for the past three weeks, but I can feel myself ready to dive back in, better and stronger than before.

Last edited by ThicknPretty; 10-26-2010 at 03:53 PM.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #4  
chick on a mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThicknPretty View Post
I just wrote a similiar post yesterday. Our stats are similiar too!

There is something about having come so far and being so close that causes me to become out of control. For me, it's like, "Ok, well I'm so close, I look pretty good...I can splurge a little." But the problem with that is that I haven't mastered the art of splurging a "little"...and I go overboard, and then I feel like crap and go overboard some more and get stuck in the binge cycle. I was thinking last night...I'm a "normal, average weight" person...but I do not have the skills of one. I still need to be almost militant with myself in order to avoid back sliding. I'm much better at losing than maintaining, I tried my hand at that for a while...
Yes! That's exactly the type of mentality I have going on right now. I feel like "okay, I've worked hard, having a take away won't hurt that much..." except afterwards I beat myself up over it, which in turn makes me miserable, which in turn makes me angry at myself, which in turn makes me eat to make myself feel better.

I'm very glad that you're finding your way out of this cycle. I really don't want to fall at this last hurdle, so I'm going to take your plan of action and work myself up, make a SOLID plan and just take it one day at a time. I can do this. I CAN.

I will reach my goal by Christmas!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #5  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Ugh, tell me about it. I kicked butt from January until about the end of July--lost 55 pounds. Since then I've only lost another five, and am crawling toward the final goal. I don't know what's gotten into me, but I need to expel the demons and get back on track! Good luck--we can do this!
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #6  
chick on a mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaH View Post
Ugh, tell me about it. I kicked butt from January until about the end of July--lost 55 pounds. Since then I've only lost another five, and am crawling toward the final goal. I don't know what's gotten into me, but I need to expel the demons and get back on track! Good luck--we can do this!
We can Louisa! Goal is ALMOST there, so close. The two of us could reach it by Christmas - we just gotta keep going
Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #7  

Hey,

yeah I been there before, its all about will power, last year I lost like 45 pounds then thanksgiving came with all the snacks and goodies on the planet.
I gain back 20 pounds. then tried many diet pills to lose it again, it was about my will power. just keep trying.
biggiefries is offline   Reply With Quote