Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 143/143/115

Height: 5'5"

Default How to lose 10 pounds in a month?

Hey guys, please tell me how to lose 10 pounds in a month because I can't even lose a pound and I'm gaining 2 pounds every month :'(
this is soo depressing, I can't fit in my old clothes anymore, I don't know what to do, please help me.
psycholamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/222/150

Height: 5'8"

Losing ten pounds in a month is a lot, especially considering that you have a normal bmi. It may or may not be possible, depending on your body type. What I recommend is eating a limited number of calories (there are many BMR calculators online-look at one and decrease whatever that number is by 500. Eat that many calories.) By creating a 500 calorie deficit you will lose an average of about a pound a week, so in two to two and a half months, you will be down 10 lbs. Throw some excercise in and make sure you make healthy choices and the weight could come off even faster. Good luck.
AbstractSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm so sorry for your frustration. It's hard to advise since I don't know what you have been doing. For me, working out 6 days a week (lots of cardio....especially Hight Intensity Interval Training and lots of strength training) and counting calories has been very effective. Some months I lose 10 lbs. and some I don't. It's more about the downward trend so if I don't lose 10 lbs., I'm still happy because I've made progress toward my goal. If you want to figure out how many calories you need, look up what your BMR is and you'll know how many calories you burn if you stay in bed all day. Every lb. is lost with a 3500 calorie deficit so if you want to lose 2 lbs. a week, you would need to create a deficit of 7,000 calories through monitoring of calories and via exercise.

It's different for everyone. I have noticed that the more whole foods I eat, the fuller I feel. I try not to eat too much sodium and I've really cut down on artificial sweeteners too....no diet coke, which was SO hard to do, but really worth it and I rarely miss it now. It took me several attempts to quit it.

I hope you find what works for you.

Last edited by luckymommy; 10-23-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Ooops, I was still typing this when someone else already told you about the BMR and calories.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #4  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

why the rush? i think your ht/wt look great! maybe you just need to increase strength training. tone up a bit.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

When I first started at 85 pounds overweight, I was losing 10 pounds per month, but as I have gotten closer and closer to goal it has slowed down considerably. With only 10 pounds to lose, and with your starting weight being in the normal range, it will be very hard to lose that quickly. Most of the ladies here who are in maintenance, or very close to it, will tell you that the last 10 pounds are usually much harder to drop than the first 10 were. When you have close to 100 pounds to lose (or more) virtually any decrease in calorie intake, and even minimal exercise will produce relatively quick results, because the more you weigh, the more calories you need to maintain. As you get lower in weight, you need less calories to maintain, and one can only drop so low without seriously jeopardizing health. When I first started I was easily pulling a 1000 calorie deficit each day. It is impossible for me to do that now without dropping to about 700 calories a day, which is absolutely not recommended without a doctor standing over your shoulder.
So maybe it would just be best if you don't look at the time it will take you so much as just making better calorie choices, get a bit more exercise, and allow the weight to come off at a speed that doesnt get you all stressed out. If it takes 2 or 3 months instead of just one, it will still be just as gone.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

For your height/weight, you're not overweight.

Maybe if you tell us what you're doing (or not doing) we might be able to give you more specific advice?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Just echoing. I'm lucky now to lose 4-5 pounds per month at this point.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214.5/see ticker/132

Height: 5'2''

I guess, losing ten pounds at your current height/weight would probably result in losing muscles instead of body fat? Maybe it would be easier to set a longer time to reach your goal or a smaller weight loss goal for the month?
beni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #9  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

I've lost basically an average of 10 pounds a months since I started, but it was just that -- an average. Some months, especially when I got started, it was 12 pounds or so. Then, maybe only 8 or 9. In September, I seemed to flat-line on the scale, with hardly any movement, though my clothes seemed smaller. Then, all of a sudden the numbers started flying down in October.

The main thing was sticking to a program and not giving up, no matter what -- even when the number on the scale wouldn't budge, or I felt like I might never make progress. I stayed the course with watching what I ate and getting PLENTY of exercise (whether that was running, going for a walk, or dancing around the house -- whatever you enjoy doing!)

The support here on 3FC helped me a lot. Whenever I lost hope, I would come here and read some of the goal stories, or some of the threads here with encouraging posts from people in the same boat as me. It really did, and does help.

Other people have pointed out that you're at a weight that's normal for your height. That doesn't mean that it's wrong to lose some weight if that's what you feel is best for you. There's a wide range of weights appropriate for any height. Personally I was the weight you are now a few weeks ago and decided I wanted to go lower. Some people maintain at your weight. It's all very personal.

Also, like some people have said, you sound pretty rushed. If you're focused and dedicated and it works out that you lose the 10 pounds in a month, great. If you don't, and it takes longer, but you get it done, then, like someone said, you've still lost the 10 pounds, right?

Anyway, if you need help figuring out a plan that might be good for you, taking the time to look around the site might give you some ideas to get going. But whatever you decide, stick to it and don't give up! Having the motivation to continue is the main thing!

Last edited by fivestone; 10-23-2010 at 06:42 PM.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #10  

The first thing you need to do is set reasonable goals that don't involve losing 10 pounds in a month. At your current weight, you can't do it healthily. You gain 2 pounds a month so why the hurry to lose 10 in one month. You won't learn a proper lifestyle that will support your loose in one month so you'll set yourself up to be a yo-yo dieter. A healthy weight loss is .5-2 pounds per week, but the 2 pounds is for those who weigh more than you.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 143/143/115

Thank you guys so much for all your support and advices!
you guys are amazing <3
psycholamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #12  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

The main thing was sticking to a program and not giving up, no matter what -- even when the number on the scale wouldn't budge, or I felt like I might never make progress. I stayed the course with watching what I ate and getting PLENTY of exercise (whether that was running, going for a walk, or dancing around the house -- whatever you enjoy doing!)

I completely agree with this fivestone! That would be my advice as well. Never give up. Keep going even through the tough times, no matter what the scale says.

For perspective, here are my first couple months weight loss. I started on the 15th of the month, so I do a monthly weigh to see trends-

first month-lost 15 lbs.
second month-lost 14 lbs.
third month-lost 14 lbs.
fourth month-lost 8.2 lbs.
fifth month-lost 6 lbs.
so far this month (weigh in day is Dec. 15th)-I have already lost 12 lbs.

Go figure? I haven't done anything differently. Not even in the fifth month when I only lost 6 lbs. I could have lost motivation and quit, but no way! That's when the tough get going. As long as I see a loss, that's all I care about, no kidding, even an ounce.

Best wishes to you! I know you can do it!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 250/217/165

Height: 5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmin2043 View Post

I completely agree with this fivestone! That would be my advice as well. Never give up. Keep going even through the tough times, no matter what the scale says.

For perspective, here are my first couple months weight loss. I started on the 15th of the month, so I do a monthly weigh to see trends-

first month-lost 15 lbs.
second month-lost 14 lbs.
third month-lost 14 lbs.
fourth month-lost 8.2 lbs.
fifth month-lost 6 lbs.
so far this month (weigh in day is Dec. 15th)-I have already lost 12 lbs.

Go figure? I haven't done anything differently. Not even in the fifth month when I only lost 6 lbs. I could have lost motivation and quit, but no way! That's when the tough get going. As long as I see a loss, that's all I care about, no kidding, even an ounce.

Best wishes to you! I know you can do it!!
Amazing stats!!

what plan are you following?
proudmommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 293/Ticker/193

Height: 5 4

Good luck. debbie
debbieOBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #15  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

keep a food diary. just keep track of what you're eating. have you ever gained weight like this before? recently started college or anything?
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote