Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #1  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Default How Do You Deal With Doctor Weigh-Ins?

I've noticed that many of us here have a love/hate relationship with the scale. Obviously I love weighing myself everyday and seeing new progress but hate it when I'm at a standstill. I weigh myself three times per day, ideally. Once in the morning at 5:30, again around 1:00 in the afternoon, and once again in the evening around 7:00 at night. I have my rituals before getting onto the scale, which consist of the usual stuff, being undressed and un-showered (wetness adds pounds!). But what do you do when you're required to weigh-in at the doctor's office? I HATE stepping on the scale fully clothed and with my shoes on (usually because the MA is in a major hurry and ushers you onto the scales before you have a chance to chuck 'em off). I always close my eyes because I know the numbers will be a good five pounds or so heavier than what my true weight is. It's very frustrating and even somewhat traumatizing to me. I've tried to refuse getting on before but they insist they need a weight. And due to my recent and ever-changing insurance, I have been bouncing around between doctors, so it's a new weigh-in every new office visit. It sucks! How do you mentally prep yourself for dealing with this? Or am I the only one who has major issues with it?
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: SW:197.8/GW:145

Height: 5'8"

I just deal with it I guess. I always hate it. I especially hated before digital scales when they would start me off on the 100 weight thingy and get all the way to 150 and realize they had to move it up and then they would still have to move the other little bar over a lot. Bleh.

One trick - wear flip flops - so easy to take off and they weigh nothing if you can't.

And I had to laugh about wetness = weight. I do the same thing. All that water in my hair - must add at least 5 pounds. Haha.
asparagus4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

You're not the only one. Usually I just get on the scales, close my eyes and tell the MA that I don't want to know what the scales says. I know they need to weigh me to ensure that, if medication is prescribed for any reason, the proper amount is prescribed based on my weight but I don't have to like it!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I know the numbers will be a good five pounds or so heavier than what my true weight is.
IF you know this to be the case, if you are certain of this, than why would it bother you??? If you are always up five pounds, then you are always up five pounds and there is nothing to sweat.

If you were at home, and you stepped on the scale holding a 5 lb bag of flour and therefore your weight would be up by 5 lbs, would it freak you out? No. Because you are CERTAIN that you will be up 5 pounds and therefore it's nothing whatsoever to freak out about. Same difference with your doctors scale.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-22-2010 at 08:42 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #5  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Nope, I hate it too. The used to have people go barefoot in those gown things to weigh in (which was much better, as the gowns weigh like NOTHING), but now they'll weigh you if you're wearing a leather jacket and biker boots for crying out loud.

AND they like announce your weight to the whole office, no matter who's nearby. Ugh.

What I do is wear lighter, smaller clothes and flip flops or slip-off shoes. If I'm feeling vulnerable and really want a good weigh-in at the doctor's, I'll do the clothing thing even if it's cold (I just wear warm stuff over it).

Maybe try weighing yourself with your lightest clothes on and see what difference that makes.

Or, think of it this way - the doctor weigh-in isn't the REAL one. You're going by your own scale, so that's your real one. It's the same as if you borrowed a friend's scale.

Don't worry about it too much - just remember that you're healthy and doing well.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I usually step on the scale backwards, that way I don't have to look at the numbers.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

We had a Heath Fair at work yesterday and the scale there said I was 208 - in jeans and a sweater and after a big lunch (I think I kicked my shoes off tho). Yeah, sure I like this morning's 201 much better but heck - 208!!! Wow! That's still nearly 80 pounds less than a year ago. Back then I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven to get a 208.

Whatever your doctor's scale says - it says less than it did when you started your journey. Celebrate *that* and don't worry that the number isn't as low as at home.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #8  
Delectable Inside + Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
IF you know this to be the case, if you are certain of this, than why would it bother you??? If you are always up five pounds, then you are always up five pounds and there is nothing to sweat.

If you were at home, and you stepped on the scale holding a 5 lb bag of flour and therefore your weight would be up by 5 lbs, would it freak you out? No. Because you are CERTAIN that you will be up 5 pounds and therefore it's nothing whatsoever to freak out about. Same difference with your doctors scale.
"Know" is perhaps the wrong word. I suspect the numbers to be at least a good five pounds or more with clothes and shoes on. Again, I'm not certain because I don't look and I don't want the MA telling me. But you have to understand it's the mental anxiety that I'm experiencing. It's knowing that I'm definitely weighing more than what I do undressed and un-showered. And I hate that this particular number, is what gets recorded. Meh.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I don't mind at all. I know what I weigh, so what can the scale at the doctor's office tell me that I don't already know?

Also, I wish doctors would talk more candidly about weight with their patients. Being overweight is primarily a health issue. So, it *should* be talked about.

Last edited by rachinma; 10-22-2010 at 10:38 AM.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I close my eyes as I do when I get a mammogram. Luckily Canadian doctors use metric and I don't bother converting. I just compare it to the previous metric weight.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 348/348/150

Height: 5'7

I have to say I usually don't mind the weigh in part. It's my bp reading that makes me nervous (idk why either, it's usually fine! LOL) I usually know what I weigh before I go to the doctor and actually alot of the times I end up weighing less then my at home scale! My drs office is extremely private about it. Their scales are in a little corner were no one else can see them and I always get my favorite nurse, who is also strugglin' with her weight! So we have an understanding with one another :0) My drs is great too! She doesn't harp on me because she knows I'm working my hardest!

But the best tip is to just go on it backwards! My best friend is pregnant and hates to see her weight. She had lost a ton of it before she became pregnant and is nervous to get back up again. She just told the nurse she doesn't want to hear her weight. They respect that! Then her dr will tell her if she needs to slow down on her weight gain or if she's good! She's actually not gaining weight, so she pretty lucky right now LOL.
MJCota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #12  
Delectable Inside + Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
I don't mind at all. I know what I weigh, so what can the scale at the doctor's office tell me that I don't already know?

Also, I wish doctor's would talk more candidly about weight with their patients. Being overweight is primarily a health issue. So, it *should* be talked about.
It should be talked about. You're absolutely right. It's just harder when you're dealing with bulimia.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Doesn't bother me. I enjoy it, actually. I remember going to the doctor before weight loss and having them slide the scale lever to the "100" and then seeing them slide it over to the "200". Now, they usually start at 150 so I get a small thrill every time I step on the doctor's scale. :-) Sometimes I'll ask them, "What was the weight?" (as if I didn't notice) just so I can hear them say it out loud. lol!

Last edited by Cali Doll; 10-22-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #14  
Delectable Inside + Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCota View Post
I have to say I usually don't mind the weigh in part. It's my bp reading that makes me nervous (idk why either, it's usually fine! LOL) I usually know what I weigh before I go to the doctor and actually alot of the times I end up weighing less then my at home scale! My drs office is extremely private about it. Their scales are in a little corner were no one else can see them and I always get my favorite nurse, who is also strugglin' with her weight! So we have an understanding with one another :0) My drs is great too! She doesn't harp on me because she knows I'm working my hardest!

But the best tip is to just go on it backwards! My best friend is pregnant and hates to see her weight. She had lost a ton of it before she became pregnant and is nervous to get back up again. She just told the nurse she doesn't want to hear her weight. They respect that! Then her dr will tell her if she needs to slow down on her weight gain or if she's good! She's actually not gaining weight, so she pretty lucky right now LOL.
My blood pressure has generally been in the normal range. But when it's high I'm usually dealing with my bipolar mania. It peaks when I'm stressed or is even triggered by just plain old anxiety and uncomfortableness.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #15  
Delectable Inside + Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Doesn't bother me. I enjoy it, actually. I remember going to the doctor before weight loss and having them slide the scale lever to the "100" and then seeing them slide it over to the "200". Now, they usually start at 150 so I get a small thrill every time I step on the doctor's scale. :-) Sometimes I'll ask them, "What was the weight?" (as if I didn't notice) just so I can hear them say it out loud. lol!
Haha. Well having a good sense of humour is a virtue :] I need to lighten up with a lot of things..