Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 10:33 AM   #151  
Is it Friday yet?

Mornin' Turkey-ettes!

Blustery wet day here so far. I really want to go home and back into my warm bed!

Amarantha - I must've missed something. I didn't see anything about you leaving - I'm thrilled that you're not! You can't leave. Ever. I am going to Arizona next spring and I'd hunt you down, find you and drag you back kicking and screaming to the thread (yes, that's a threat).
Avanti means forward, so you might want to tell your frustration, anger, etc. "allora vattene" (now get lost) or "mi lasci in pace" (leave me alone), or best yet "vada via che sa di aglio" (buzz off garlic breath).
Lastly, I believe it's Camryn Manheim you're referring to in The Practice. I agree, she's amazing. I love the fact that she refuses to fall to the "skinny" demands. Good for her!

Kaylets - I'm all for a whiney Wednesday, tearful Tuesday or mournful Monday. We could start another thread and call it Turkey Tales (or something like that). I agree that a moan-fest is often very cathartic.
I also thought the same thing you did when I saw the tornado damage. I thought "ok, who do I know that lives out there" - then thought "how would I know WHO I know?" - given that there's SO many of us on this site. So many that we've chatted with... the internet does make the world a lot smaller doesn't it.

Tipper - I'm sorry for your experience. I believe I did the same thing subconsciously. My marriage was going bad and in an effort to make him not want me and for HIM to make the decision to end it, I put on 100 pounds. See, he once told me he wouldn't love me if I gained a lot of weight - so I think in my brain I thought "ok, so I'll get really fat and make you leave me so I don't have to be the bad guy". It didn't work. I left and still have the weight to loose...
I do love what you said too about allowing someone to love us being their privilege- it's very true. (oh yeah, and I'd go with the new scale too!)

Dollar - Whew! I had to go back and re-read your post. The word "prick" caught my eye and I thought you were referring to Tipper's man post! Ok, so you were referring to a rose...

Ok, I should get some work started or else it'll feel like the day will never end!

Terri
Old 11-12-2002, 10:56 AM   #152  
motivational guru wannabe

S/C/G: 205/205/185 by spring

Height: 5'4"

Good morning!!! It took me a while to catch up on posts since I have been off running around for the last three days.

Winery trip was wonderful and rotten all at once. Forgot my dramamine and the hills and I do not make a good mix. We had a good time once my stomach got settled. The wine was tasty. I was the designated driver so I only got one glass. I brought some home to try at a later date. We ate out, but I kept it light.

Reading the posts I see that we are all doing some venting. That's the word I prefer...whining sounds whimpy. I know that none of us are whimpy..look at how far we have come. Venting is healthy...it allows us to free up some mental space to allow good and productive thoughts to plant seed. So if you need to vent...here is as good a place as any, among friends.

I'd love to stay, but my work computer calls!

Boating
Old 11-12-2002, 06:59 PM   #153  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default Catching up on posts...

Boatingmommy, catching up on posts is a major achievement! What a bunch! I've come through a few times and felt like I couldn't begin to respond to everyone. Later.

Anyway, later is now. I've got a phone interview to do in an hour's time (usually I would be winding down to a dead halt by 8:30, heading to bed with the chosen novel) so I'm trying to stay alert.

Amarantha, I understand your occasional impulse to leave us. It gets a bit time-consuming - I know that I sometimes find myself checking the site compulsively when I should be working (not suggesting that you do the same thing, you understand). I'm thinking of setting some rules that must be followed. I do always take comfort from the multitude of folks (just about everyone) who says they could never work freelance, because they would never manage to get the work done. Which we do, sooner or later, and by hook or by crook...

That said, though, I must echo Punkin - you can NEVER leave. Ever. You are way too inspirational to everyone here. We NEED you!

Tipper, I think my experience was a little similar to yours. Shortly after I started dating my husband, we went through a very traumatic experience, which I mostly blamed on him. And, to some extent, I think I gained the weight to distance myself from him. We're still together, and more-or-less happy although the shadow of that time persists. Nevertheless, I am much happier slim, and I have to do it for myself.

Punkin, funny what they say and what they do, huh. I think for me, it's mostly just retreating into myself, burrowing down into my fat suit, getting insulated and farther away from anything (anyone) that can cause me pain. That's funny (in a "ha ha ha - OW! way) that he wouldn't leave after you gained the weight. I mean -- a bargain's a bargain, right What a pain, that after all that passive aggression (a specialty of mine as well) you still had to be the one to make the move. Sigh.
Kaylets, you're right, the tornado-devastated folks are suffering a whole different level of problems from what we're putting up with. Never hurts to be reminded. I often think, at times like this, that "well, at least we're all healthy. We have a roof over our head and everything we need to survive."

Anagram, thanks so much for your input about my situation with my son. It really helps, makes me realize that I'm not alone in this. Yup, things with our kids are way more painful than our own stuff.

Love to all, and to all a good night!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:24 PM   #154  

Smile Still Tuesday!

Hello all!

Boatingmommy-- you are soooo right!! We are above whiney, whining or anything highpitched-- have no idea what could have made me think that it was an interesting idea. Seems like a very long time ago, even though it was only 11 hrs--

Am really amazed that the Walmart nearby has stopped carrying Pria bars-- I do have a few other places to buy them but the price was the best ( almost .50 less) than everywhere else. I have heard Costco sells them by the box which I am not sure would be a good idea. I remain one of those people who cannot have more than a couple servings around. DH says he'll hide them for me but what he doesnt realize is that he might get woken up in the middle of the night !!

Aramantha- inquiring minds want to know- - ?

time to pay some bills- hopefully that website is up tonight!!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:35 AM   #155  

Smile Wednesday

Still raining! Dogs came in so wet they seemed grateful as I wrapped the towel around them to dry them. One even looked a little like ET !!

Will keep it short and sweet (hopefully)--

Today's thought is:" Our life is what our thoughts make it." --Marcus Aureilus
Old 11-13-2002, 07:07 AM   #156  

Good Morning folks,
well my wigh in was not what I exepcted but I'll take it, down .6. every little bit counts. This usually happens when I change points range and also when my meds get changed. I figure given another week or so my system will kick back in again.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:42 AM   #157  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry Good Morning, Turkettes!

Raining here too, although not really hard enough to deter me from a walk around the harbour. Did yoga when I got up - I used to do it every day and had gotten out of the habit somehow. But I feel so much better after doing it regularly now for about a week. Between that and the low GL diet I feel like a new woman I think one of the major things for me is just avoiding wheat, though. Every time I do I feel incredibly better, clear-headed, not exhausted when I wake up (THAT's unusual!), more energy in general. And it's a lot easier to be in a good mood when I'm not tired all the time!

More on the weight gain - I was not overweight (well, maybe ten pounds) when I met DH and I felt good. The weight came on gradually over the years, during which I was always "trying" to lose. One of the main problems was that I'd stopped weighing myself - thought I had the problem licked Well, we all know that when the going gets tough.... um, the bad habits tend to come back. And without weighing myself, it was very easy to fool myself that I was not gaining that much weight. Despite all the abundand evidence to the contrary: underwear shrinking in the dryer, sweaters no longer covering my butt, said butt getting stuck in plastic lawn chair. And then, of course, when I thought I'd gained, I didn't want to weigh myself "until I took some of it off" When I finally lost a bit and then weighed in (I probably was at least 10 pounds more before this) I weighed 231, 60-70 pounds more than I had when I met DH. That was 13 years ago, and -- you know what? I'm going to weigh 160 (which is within my desirable range). Definitely. I am on my way and I will get there.

But can someone tell me how to get myself back to 34 years of age?

Let's make this a fabulous day, Turkettes! Love to all!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:12 AM   #158  

I'll be waiting for that answer too, Arabella. I am feeling better and doing better but am trying to reconcile myself to the fact it will never be the same because as I was packing on pounds, I was packing on years. Now that's not all bad because I like to think I also packed on "smarts". But I'm trying to be aware I'll be a "new" me not the old one at whatever weight I achieve.

Down .8 for this week. So tantalizingly close to that elusive poundlet.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:15 AM   #159  

I think I should add that I'm feeling especially vulnerable to food this morning. Rainy again here this a.m. but supposed to be better this afternoon. Rained all day yesterday. Never noticed if weather has an effect on food speaking to me or not. But I sure am hearing it today. So far I've had some cantalope and one slice of rye toast with Key Lime jelly plus a cup of green tea. Best go start swigging the water to tune out this melody of temptation.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:41 AM   #160  
To love me is a privilege

Good morning Turketts. It is going to be a beautiful day here. It has rained for the past two days and I haven't been able to get out for my walk.
I did compensate it with exercise tapes and house cleaing, but it just doesn't feel the same.
It is hard to believe that Thanksgiving is only 15 days away. My goal of under 200 seems harder than ever now, but I can do it.

From reading all the post it seems that we all use eating to protect ourselves. That if we are heavy than we won't get hurt. Well, not only do will still get hurt, but we also hurt ourselves.

NO MORE. WE ARE TOUGH AND CAN TAKE WHATEVER IS SHOVED OUR WAY.

Boy am I feeling impowered today. I hope it last.

I hope everyone has an empowering day.
Tipper
Old 11-13-2002, 10:49 AM   #161  
Empress/Queen

Default Ok, it's Wednesday, let's whine ...

NOT!!! Amarantha be off to work, so I, Elbertine Pep, am posting for her!!! I personally be feeling GREAT and know I CAN DO THIS!!! (Denise Austen voice!!)

Arabella: Thy hit the nail on the headeth with Amarantha's reasons for posting she be leaving 3FC (which she posted in a comment on a journal) ... also Amarantha oft thinketh she posteth too much, is too depressed, etc., etc., but she thinketh the world also o' this group and hopeth Punkin WOULD come to Arizona by virtual or other means and then she'd quit complaining that she won't go to the gym because no one will go with her, as she's sure Punkin would, if it be Friday anyhooo ...

Glad everyone feels better. Amarantha really does, too, and has had several good "diet" (sorry, that's what she calls it) days in a row.

DOLLAR!!! Congratulations on thy loss, which is essentially a pound if thee roundeth. Thy progress is super. Keep a'going!!!

Arabella, we are consulting Hag o' the Hut (not the Pizza Hut, just the Hut) re thy question! Elberta Crone would likewise enjoy returning to age 34.

Tipper, the Empowered One!!! Wooo-hoooo!!! Thanks for thy uplifting post and thou be right ... WE CAN DO THIS!!!! We be

Kaylets: I like the thought for the day. Amarantha still wants thee to post a Whinefest, though. I told her thee had given up the idea, but she just keeps WHINING about it!

Ah, Anagram, the melody lingers on, doth it not? Ah, the sweet siren call o' caloric consumption! Elbertine heareth it faintly on the wind herself this a.m. ... floating softly as the sound o' windchimes from a distant temple on some exotic shore in a far-off land, mingling with the perfume o' myriads o' orchids and plump fruit trees ... (STOP IT, ELBERTINE, THAT IS THE VOICE OF THE BAD FOOD DEMON!! IGNORE IT! ~ Signed, Elberta Crone )

Boatingmommy!!! I be going to tell Amarantha that from now on she can VENT but not WHINE!!! Good distinction thee hath pointed out! Thy wine trip soundeth fun!

Re the tornado damage ... some of that was close to where I was born actually. Also an ex-editor of mine has some family there, which reminds me I need to email her. It was a devastating sight. One news report remindeth though that a message of hope always comes through from the universe somehow ... in the midst of complete ruination and rubble, a glass punchbowl sat on the ground untouched and unbroken. My wish for that poor family that lived in the house was that the bowl will somehow give them comfort and hope for years to come.

Bye all. Have a great day.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:15 PM   #162  
Is it Friday yet?

Whoaful Wednesday... at least the week's half over!

I can't believe my morning. I woke up and burst into tears. Yup, I really did. I'm tired, burnt out and stressed beyond tollerance. There's stuff going on at work and today was the first day in 3 years that I honestly didn't want to be here. So, I had a good cry and I'm trying to keep telling myself to just do the same job I've been doing since I was literally 15 years old and it'll all work out ok. It's hard though because at 15 I didn't take my job as seriously, or as personally as I do now...

Anywhoo... Yesterday, after cursing a blue streak at work for the last 30 minutes and then chewing on one of my mechanics for doing something stupid and not caring that *I* got blamed for it, I went home and ate everything that couldn't outrun me. Not good. Again I went to bed feeling sick to my stomach. Got to quit eating my stress and just go take a bath and make some tea! I did get 2 more ornaments painted though - that did calm me down.

Boatingmommy - Do you know I was born and raised in the Napa Valley and I've NEVER been wine tasting??? Still on my list of things to do...

Arabella - Hope the interview went good last night! As to how to get to 34, I donno', I'm speeding toward 33 in January and amazed that I'm "that old" - I don't feel it.

Kaylets - Mmmmm.... stench of wet dog.... we've had that scent at our house the last few days too!

Anagram & Dollar - Congrats on the loss! I'll update the Pilgrim roster! Ooops, sorry, that's a rooster...

Tipper - Thank you, yes I am hoping for an empowering day! I've been reminding myself that my mood is dependant on how *I* react to what's going on around me. That is empowering - I'm in charge of my mood!

Amarantha - Are ya anywhere near Yuma? I'm going to my Dad's in the spring (before he disinherits me for never coming to see him). I'd go with you to the gym!

Last night's giggle. I threw out what was left of an old canteloup (sp?) and last night a small herd of deer came though my back yard, with a little one in tow. The little one took a few bites of mellon and went sprinting around the back of my house, jumping up and down bucking - and licking his little lips. I guess it was the little guy's first taste of mellon. It was too cute and quite a treat to watch.

Well, hi-ho, hi-ho... on to a better day!

Terri
Old 11-13-2002, 01:34 PM   #163  

Hi

Having a emotional melt down...my grandma had a stroke and she is going to die. She is 90 but what an amazing women. I thought she would out live all of us and im 29. She is a toughie!

I do feel like i want to hurt myself...eating bad....binge sounds so good however i dont feel like eating. Whats a good binge when you dont feel like eating all the junk food you could possibly want. Oh well i will save that for another day i guess.

Pumpkinseed that canteloup story is to cute! Made me smile!
Old 11-13-2002, 01:53 PM   #164  
To love me is a privilege

Scooby:

My grandmother had a stroke about 5 years ago and she was 90 when she had it. She was very active up until that day.

She layed in a bed of 3 years not being able to walk or even sit up. It was hard for me to watch such a strong women become so helpless.
When she passed away I was so relieved because she hated the way she was. She hated eveyday she was alive after her stoke.
So just keep in mind that is she does pass away it is better than watching her suffer.

As far as the stress involved. Visit her as much as you can while she is still here. Go for a lot of walks, and talk to you parents about how you feel.

I will pray for you and your grandmother. For both of you to have the strength to make it through this.

Take care.
Betsy (tipper)
Old 11-13-2002, 02:33 PM   #165  

Thanks Tipper sounds exactly like whats going on with her...she holds my hand and i love that she dances with my finger tips. I know she needs to pass. When i first walked into the room i couldnt sit with her i just wanted to leave and i was crying. Then i started sitting with her and she was holding my hand and then holding holding on to my wrist. I didnt want to leave cause i didnt want her to be lonely. Then she fell a sleep so i left. I will go back to see her .... it was really spiritual to be with her...i felt such a connection. It was sad dont get me wrong.
I wish i could bring a kitten into my grandmas room. Just to let her feel the fur...she loves cats. I always wanted to bring a cat in maybe i will find one. My roommate has 2 but is worried that something would happen to them if i brought them in. So i need to borrow a cat.

I think i will stop crying...i have been an emotional handbasket in the office today. Im trying to be happy.... Happy thoughts i need to think happy thoughts!

So has anyone done any holiday shopping yet? What kind of gifts are they getting for your friends and family? I havent done shopping yet but i do love shopping!
Closed Thread