Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #1  
Army Medic

S/C/G: 210/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Motivation...

I have little tricks that I play on myself to keep me motivated so that even when I'm not able to concentrate on the big picture of my health etc, i can still make myself work out/ eat right. I started parking my car by the gym which is at the other end of campus so that I'm right there before I leave and therefore I figured, I'm more likely to go, and it seems to be working for the most part. I've also packed all my 'too small' clothes in a clear storage bin and set it by the door so I see it every morning...but it's turned into a table to hold my back pack I still see it though, and know that I only have to lose twenty pounds for it to all fit since they're all from last summer There's always the army motivation, but that's an outside force and I mainly feel the need to not fail, not to exceed, so that's more big picture. I think it's because I'm such a visual person maybe? Anyways...

I was just wondering what everyone else uses to motivate you, especially when you're so tired and worn out but yet still go. As corny as it may sound, I just really like hearing all the stories of why you push yourself every day to make a positive change
stucky1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #2  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

I'm a very determined and compulsive individual. When I get my mind set on something — I do it. Whatever it takes. This is something that stems from my bipolar. When I'm not in "tunnel vision" or "zoned-in" as my husband puts it, I'm on the extreme other end of being overly lenient and lax. I don't have any tricks that aide me through this but my motivation is fairly simple: look good for my summer vacation this coming May :] I also realised just yesterday that I only have about 10lbs to lose before I'm at 135 pounds, which puts me almost halfway to my goal of 100lbs. The photos I've been taking of myself weekly are major boosts in keeping me motivated in my weight loss journey. I also thrive on other people's progress pix, especially those that are around my size and have attained frames that are in my ideal weight goal.
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

accountability to other people. i hate telling people, even online, i didn't work out or i binged. like promising myself means nothing, but promising my online friends makes me at least think about it. so far it's working on the no binging thread. none simce sept. 3. i lost count of days.
with working out regularly the check in helps sometimes, i am more consistently exercising than if i had no check in group. i used to let the blip of no w/o for 1 or 2 days throw me off to weeks, months without a strenuous workout. now its at most 2 or 3 days, then i'm back at it. goal being to exercise everyday, a little or alot.

also, being in competition helps, inspiring eachother. i can't wait for this biggest loser challenge to start.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

+1 for accountability. Even if it's just posting in "daily accountability" threads on here, I think twice before scarfing down desserts.

Writing down EVERYTHING you eat is a good one too. It's so easy to go above your intended caloric intake.

As for exercise, this is pretty goofy but I made a rule for myself, "no showers unless you have just worked out."
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #5  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I really don't find much motivating right now. I'm just plodding along. No drive. No real determination. This is my current life, and I've come to accept it.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #6  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
As for exercise, this is pretty goofy but I made a rule for myself, "no showers unless you have just worked out."
This makes me laugh, what a cute way to motivate for exercise, I love it!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I have a size 13 pair of jeans hanging on my closet door. I want in those jeans! And I know I will get there! The size 18 jeans that use to hang in that spot are"too big"!!!!
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Sunrises View Post
I really don't find much motivating right now. I'm just plodding along. No drive. No real determination. This is my current life, and I've come to accept it.
I just wrote about this in another post.

I am in the same place. But for motivation, which I guess I don't really need or rely on anymore, has evolved. My motivation has become my love of where I am, of how far I've come, and of how much more I can do now that I could not do before. I think about this every single day and it provides all the motivation I could ever need.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #9  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have been posting over in the 100 lbs group about my daily weight. That has REALLY been a push for me to keep going. I immediately see numbers go up when I eat too much.

And running... I signed up for a 5k on Sunday. I know I need to keep running so I can keep doing 5ks and the better I eat and more I lose, the better I will do with my running.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/152/120

Height: 5'2"

What a great thread. I love to read other people's ideas. I'm just starting out (again) however here's what (I'm hoping) will be my motivation. I started a blog, my first ever, and I will blog everything I eat and every bit of exercise I do. I will blog the ups and the downs; put it all out there for the world to see. I have told everyone that is close to me, as well. My family and friends are great motivators and won't bring me down. In the past I've kept my weight loss goals a secret because I didn't want them to know if I failed. This time that's just not an option.
healthiermama115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #11  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I do this too! I also tell myself I'm saving money on my electric bill by showering at the gym, and of course I can't just go the gym to shower, that would be wrong.
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Sunrises View Post
Ditto....we are almost exactly the same weight and were almost the same
when we started. I'm even just trying to maintain my loss at this point.
Excellent thread topic. I had limitless motivation and drive when I started a
year ago.....but I can't seem to get it back!
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

@ AZ Sunrises and odonnela i think theres something ab out the 260's that just do that to you lol i stayed stuck in that funk for months just recently broke myself out of it and escaped the 260's. im doing better now that i plodded thru
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 140/136/125

Height: 5'6"

I love the shower thing Krampus XD

It's kind of strange.. but one of my main motivators is a man. I'm an avid MMORPG (online game) player, and I play mainly with people from California. Well, it just so happens that I'm taking a trip out there this summer! I'm going to get to meet one of the people I've been friends with for about four years for the first time and damn it, I want to look good! Every time I'm doing cardio and just want to quit or give up, that's what I think about. Maybe it's not the best motivation, but it works for me.
kirara982 is offline   Reply With Quote