Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default How weight loss affects your kids

I've been noticing lately how much my habits have an effect on DD (she's 2). She loves imitating me do weights and will even ask me to put exercise DVDs on so she can "workout" with them! She also practices jogging with her toy stroller around the living room with her doll in it.

She also eats tons of veggies/fruit/protein (because we don't offer much of anything else) and doesn't even have a sweet tooth from the few times she's been offered sweets (well, with the exception of ice cream and muffins but we never have those at home so it's a non-issue).

She practices cooking all the time and cuts up her toy veggies and then feeds them to all her dolls while proclaiming how yummy they are!

She also steps on the scale almost every morning to weigh herself... (ok, maybe this one she didn't need to pick up...)

It's really made me realize how important it is that I've changed my habits now when she's young. She imitates everything that I do and I'm glad she's NOT imitating the mom who use to binge on chocolate. I'm glad that she's NOT imitating the mom who wouldn't exercise enough.

I've struggled my whole life overcoming the examples that I learned from my own mother who habitually overate, was sloppy, never took care of her appearance, and would use junk food as motivation for me and my sister to get things done. I really don't want to provide that as an example for DD and it's a great feeling to see her picking up good habits not bad ones. It's such a big motivation to keep losing!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It's so true! I've got kids that think candy is too sweet and love healthy proteins and fruits and veggies. We walk the baby to daycare every morning and then my son and I walk to school and work. He loves it and I hope walking when you can is a habit he'll have for life . I'm hoping I'm modeling healthy behaviors for them and they can use them to be healthy adults .

Plus, my 6 year old noted the other day that when he hugged me his arms went all the way around and gave me a *high five* for doing such a good job . Seriously made my day.

Last edited by ValRock; 10-16-2010 at 09:35 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #3  
In it to win it!!

S/C/G: 312/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

It definitely has a great effect on kids. My kids are DS10, DS5 and DD4. They know and understand that mommy is trying to lose weight. I have offered them new foods (well what are new foods to them) and they are doing pretty well.

Last weekend we're having breakfast and I have a bowl of fruit and veggies on the table. So I started playing the "Name that Fruit" game and they recognized almost all the fruit by name!! That made me really happy!! Then it was time to try a new fruit. I offer them a new fruit or veggie every week. My 2 sons loved them but my DD did not touch them. I mean really loved them!! My 10 yr old said "OMG I can't believe I waited so long to eat them". So now we have "kiwi pops". I peel the kiwi and stick it on a fork...they are slippery!! LOL!! I do whatever to keep them interested.

I also have included them in exercise. We go for family walks in the park during the weekend. I am loving everything about my lifestyle.

Congratulations on you weight loss thus far. I encourage you to continue being such a wonderful role model to your DD!!

Last edited by Vivian27; 10-16-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Vivian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #4  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Kids are sponges and really do emulate and imitate their parents. Kudos to you for setting such a great example for your DD. Unfortunately, I started too late and my DD23 picked up on some of my bad habits. But together we read the Beck Diet book and we've now become weight loss buddies. She's getting married October 2011 and hopes to lose another 10 lbs--totally doable!

Last edited by losermom; 10-16-2010 at 11:02 AM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Good for you chicks to show the next generation the way to eat healthy and get moving! Thankfully, my kids who arew now adults, DD30, DS27 are both thin and eat just about anything. I wasn't the greatest example, but I musta done okay. I worry about my granddaughters, 4 & 6 eating too much junk, but since their dad is a chef, they eat combos like chicken nuggets and roasted squash...LOL!

I think for all you chicks with small children at home, the very best thing you can do is to always have a variety of things they can try.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5

yeah my mom was a total health food nut and always kept her weight really low. So sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree lol
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

How sweet! I just love little girls. The things they imitate! My imitation memories of that age are of my boys mowing the lawn with their little bubble mowers right behind Daddy like little ducklings.

They're 9 and 10 now. My weight loss has affected them in both positive and negative ways. They're very sweet about it and they both sometimes express that they love being to able to wrap their arms around me in a hug. But my youngest stresses about how much he weighs at the doctor's office and his weight is just fine! Our oldest needs to lose weight, but I fear we're scarring him in the process. We're trying to focus on health, but I don't always feel like we're getting it right. I wish I could go back and live this life when they were young.

I've always fed them way healthier than I fed myself...but they definitely picked up my bad habits anyway.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #8  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
yeah my mom was a total health food nut and always kept her weight really low. So sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree lol

LOL!
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #9  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

My kids are definitely starting to pick up better habits!! I have 4.. 13ds, 11ds, 7ds, 6dd. They have been really *REALLY* good about all the new veggies, etc. We pretty much did a complete overhaul on our food and drink when my dh was dx with diabetes. We set them all down and explained what was going on, and how we were going to change our lifestyle. And we explained WHY.. not because we all wanted to lose weight (tho that was a plus in some of our cases), but because we didn't want them to grow up and face all the health problems that plaque our family. And they haven't complained much. Now when I'm making out our weekly menu, I ask them what they want, and the majority of the time they pick something healthy. (or something we've found a healthier version of!).

They also get in and do strength training with us here at home (we do some weights, lots of pushups, situps, planks, bridges, just lots of body exercises). I love doing it as a family, and I think they love being included.
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/237/150

Height: 5'3"

My kids have embraced a healthier life style as well, but I worry about my DD who is eight. She won't put anything in her mouth until she reads the calories!! I am afraid it's becoming an obsession. Her teacher last year wouldn't allow them to have snacks that weren't healthy and would actually tell the kids something had too much sugar or would make them fat!! (Thankfully enough people complained that her contract wasn't renewed!!) She was doing better with it until I started counting calories, now it's full on calorie watching and discussion about will this make me fat etc. She'll pinch her belly and say she's getting fat! Let me add, she's a beanpole!!

Has anyone else encountered this? How did you handle it?

Last edited by carrie31324; 10-16-2010 at 05:09 PM.
carrie31324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie31324 View Post
My kids have embraced a healthier life style as well, but I worry about my DD who is eight. She won't put anything in her mouth until she reads the calories!! I am afraid it's becoming an obsession. Her teacher last year wouldn't allow them to have snacks that weren't healthy and would actually tell the kids something had too much sugar or would make them fat!! (Thankfully enough people complained that her contract wasn't renewed!!) She was doing better with it until I started counting calories, now it's full on calorie watching and discussion about will this make me fat etc. She'll pinch her belly and say she's getting fat! Let me add, she's a beanpole!!

Has anyone else encountered this? How did you handle it?
Keep an eye on her. That goes for the OP as well, with the daughter who steps on the scale. Being aware is one thing-being obsessive is another. There are girls as young as 8 being diagnosed with anorexia/bulimia/other eating disorders, it's VERY real. Girls who are too young to even know what the word MEANS are being diagnosed. Break the habit now. If she needs help, get her help now before it's too late.

I hate to sound pushy and negative, but those sound like very worrying behaviors to me, even if they grew up with a heavy mother/father who has literally changed everything about their lifestyle.

There's a documentary out about this 8 year old girl named Dana who was diagnosed with anorexia, and she, too, would check the calories in EVERYTHING before she ate it, or she simply wouldn't eat. (You can look up pictures of her on Google: Dana 8 year old anorexic and see her at her lowest weight. She got help and is in therapy and doing much better, AFAIK.)

I hope both your girls are just a little overly-enthusiastic and that's all, but please please keep an eye on them.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/237/150

Height: 5'3"

I completely agree! I should have said though, that it doesn't matter what the food or drink is. She'll eat things that aren't good for her, she just wants to know how many calories she is eating or drinking!! She'll have a small bowl of ice cream and say, "Wow! 300 calories Mom!!" and then chow down. I tell her not to worry about the calories and she'll say, "But you do!!" So I think it's more about being like me than the actual act of reading the calories and worrying about it. She eats like there is no tomorrow, mostly healthy because that's what I buy, but she'll gladly take the junk food too. Sometimes it's just overwhelming, she should be worried about way different things than calories!
carrie31324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie31324 View Post
I completely agree! I should have said though, that it doesn't matter what the food or drink is. She'll eat things that aren't good for her, she just wants to know how many calories she is eating or drinking!! She'll have a small bowl of ice cream and say, "Wow! 300 calories Mom!!" and then chow down. I tell her not to worry about the calories and she'll say, "But you do!!" So I think it's more about being like me than the actual act of reading the calories and worrying about it. She eats like there is no tomorrow, mostly healthy because that's what I buy, but she'll gladly take the junk food too. Sometimes it's just overwhelming, she should be worried about way different things than calories!
Oh! That changes things. Then I really wouldn't worry too much, just try to tell her that calories are just calories, we need them to live, and snacks are okay, and so are sweets, in moderation. I'm sure you've told her that already though. : )
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #14  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

My dd5 took my chopped basil in a tube out of the fridge, brought it to me. she was all excited today. she was telling me how much she loves it. It's one of my favs too.
(we've been out of it for a few months, and just went to the store yesterday.)

she loves to imitate me and try to do the 'exercise show'.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote