Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #16  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

What bugs me? Quite a few people ask me how I've lost the weight. As soon as I say anything about eating properly and exercising, they zone out and talk about something else. Everyone is looking for the quick fix I suppose.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #17  

Height: 5'4''

1. Losing slower than seemingly everyone else

2. Having family who can eat large portions and never gain a pound
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #18  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiannaKole View Post
Shmead's item that says, "People who see you've lost weight and feel guilty that they haven't, and so have to explain to you why they can't" was really interesting to me. I haven't had it happen, but it sounds odd. That must be really awkward. Like, WHY would someone do that?
I've had that one - although normally they preface it with a remark about how well I was doing, and HOW was I doing it? Then, when I told them I was just eating less and exercising more, THEN I got the whole spiel about why they can't do it.

I think they wanted some magic formula that would mean they could lose weight without actually having to do anything different.

I felt like saying "Listen, I don't care if you're fat. I don't care if you're thin. You could do it too but it's damned hard work. It isn't that you can't - it's just that you're too lazy. If you don't want to do it - fine. But don't be jealous of me because I did!"
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #19  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

As soon as I say the words "eat more vegetables" I see the interest go out of their eyes.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Oh my goodness, yes! Everyone wants to know what trick or special fast-working diet you did. They totally don't want to hear "move more and eat less."
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #21  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsia View Post
I've had that one - although normally they preface it with a remark about how well I was doing, and HOW was I doing it? Then, when I told them I was just eating less and exercising more, THEN I got the whole spiel about why they can't do it.

I think they wanted some magic formula that would mean they could lose weight without actually having to do anything different.

I felt like saying "Listen, I don't care if you're fat. I don't care if you're thin. You could do it too but it's damned hard work. It isn't that you can't - it's just that you're too lazy. If you don't want to do it - fine. But don't be jealous of me because I did!"
I get what you and Shmead are saying, but these people who have excuses may truly just be ignorant of their own bodies...they haven't yet found what works for THEM and don't think they can. They honestly believe they are somehow broken. WE know that isn't true, but unfortunately, that's something everyone has to learn for themselves. I know I did. I was convinced I was broken due to PCOS after years of failed attempts during which I worked just as hard (harder really!) as I'm working now.

Please don't call such people lazy.

As for me, the only two things I can pinpoint that bug me about losing weight are:
1. Being between sizes. I sympathize.
2. Boobs with nothing substantial inside. What is that about?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #22  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

everything bac0s said! i could've written that post word for word. and it seems like theres such a big space between 14 and 16. but going down from a very snug 20 to 18 happened pretty fast. sometimes i still had to wear my 18 shorts this summer(which look so baggy). i never was a big fan of shorts. i have hardly any summer clothes, i really dont see the point in buying more when maybe next yr i'll be waaay smaller. (crosses fingers)
so i got some goodwill capris instead in a 12.

when i talk to family i hadnt seen in a few months about wt loss, emphasis on exercising, they were pretty positive and at least pretended to be interested in my fav. instructor (cathe friedrich) as i talked their ear off. but i guess they think its too hard. if i can do it, you can!
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #23  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Please don't call such people lazy.
I don't think they are lazy, I just hate it because anything I say makes me an a**hole. If I say "You know, I used to think they same thing, but there's always a way to make it work", I am being condescending and arrogant and a jerk. But if I say "Wow, that's a challenge. I guess I am just lucky", I am really selling short one of the most remarkable things I've ever done, and I hate doing that.

It's like if you are a SAHP and other people are like "wow, I wish I could afford to do that"--they mean well, but it minimizes the sacrifices and hard work it takes to be able to afford to do that.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #24  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I don't think they are lazy, I just hate it because anything I say makes me an a**hole. If I say "You know, I used to think they same thing, but there's always a way to make it work", I am being condescending and arrogant and a jerk. But if I say "Wow, that's a challenge. I guess I am just lucky", I am really selling short one of the most remarkable things I've ever done, and I hate doing that.

It's like if you are a SAHP and other people are like "wow, I wish I could afford to do that"--they mean well, but it minimizes the sacrifices and hard work it takes to be able to afford to do that.
Yes, that makes sense. I don't know what to say when I encounter that either. With exercise (and no time) that's easy...I say I get up at 5:00 AM. They usually have no response to that. If it's about not being able to stay within a calorie restriction I usually just keep silent.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #25  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Yes, that makes sense. I don't know what to say when I encounter that either. With exercise (and no time) that's easy...I say I get up at 5:00 AM. They usually have no response to that. If it's about not being able to stay within a calorie restriction I usually just keep silent.
See, I don't even want to say "I get up at 4:30" because that sounds like bragging, or if I do, they say "I just couldn't do that", and then I don't know what to say.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

1. Doing AWESOME on your diet and exercise...hoping to see a big loss...and you lose like 1 pound. :/

2. Like Bac0s said, feeling thin and hot and looking in the mirror realizing you aren't as thin and you think.

3. Living with a husband that can eat whatever he wants and doesn't gain a pound, and I look a doughnut and gain 5 pounds, lol.

4. Losing weight in places you don't want to...i.e. BOOBS! Why can't my belly and butt just get smaller?!

5. When my friends say they will be on a diet with me, and they tell me they just hit up McDonald's for lunch and ate a big mac...I know a lot of you said the same thing! ESPECIALLY urks me when it's like day 2 of our diet...really?!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #27  
God Will Guide Me!

S/C/G: 272.8/ticker/234

Height: 5'7''

Wow I so could have typed the same thing! (except number 1) IT SUCKS!!! But feels soooo good at the same time!
jackiemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #28  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I find the clothes not fitting to drive me crazy too, was so happy to finally change dress sizes. And the higher the weight, the more pounds you have to lose to change a size. It was almost 20 for me, and I have seen posts from larger ladies stating they had to lose 30-40 to go from a 24 to a 22 for instance.
I also lose VERY slowly, slower than the rest of the world, (or so it seems) but there is a general downward trend, and switching woe doesn't seem to work for me, as I also have to watch the blood sugars.
As to the people who zone out when we say, I lost weight through healthy diet and exercise, and then give excuses why they can't, my answer is:
"when it becomes important to you, you will find the ability to do it. Until then, you will find it impossible, after that you will find it only difficult." or as yoda says "there is no try, only do"
We have all been there, remember how it felt when you just "couldn't" seem to do it. it was that attitude that got us here in the first place. We have overcome it, they haven't..... yet.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

1. Feeling larger than I actually am.
2. At higher weights I had all of these ideas of what I was going to wear when I got to goal, and now that I'm getting close and none of my clothes fit anymore... I have no idea what to buy! What size am I? What's going to look good? What kind of style do I have?
3. I feel so guilty spending money on new clothes.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #30  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Ugh, I hate catching myself in the mirror too. It almost always disappoints my expectations.

I, too, fear that I'll reach an impossible-to-break platue before I make it to my goal. I've never been under the weight I am now, so my goal weight might not be physically possible for me.

What also bugs me is how long it takes Maybe it doesn't bother me ever day, but some days you wake up wondering if you'll ever get there. I can't speak for anyone else on the board, but my progress hasn't been linear, and it's been pretty slow, but I am progressing...
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote