Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #1  

Height: 5ft 3in

Default Dealing with Weight loss

Over the last few months I have lost weight and people have really been noticing and commenting/complimenting me. But everytime somone says anything, I feel awkward about it. I have never liked talking to e about my weight and even though people are being nice or whatever, I feel really uncomfortable.

It's not that I am unhappy with my weight loss, I am but at the same time i still got a lot to go but I just dont know how to handle people complimenting me. Has anyone else felt like this? What did you do? Will it stop?

Thanks
Aly6690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I feel exactly the same way. I usually deflect the compliment with some wisecrack, which may be funny and true, but is a little demeaning to me, and at the same time is like refusing a gift. The truly best thing to say is "thank-you" No more need be said.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #3  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Accept and change the subject.

Learning how to take a compliment with grace is a wonderful life lesson.

People tend to pry though, and I dont like to get into the details. If people are pushy, I always oversimplify and say I am 'eating well and working out' or 'focusing on my health', then change the subject by asking about their: promotion, baby, husband, etc.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #4  

Height: 5ft 3in

Thanks 4xcharm. So far, I just been changing the topic ASAP and avoiding anything related. The only one I can actually take a compliment from is my bf. Bless him he's really supportive but at the same time tells it how it is.

thanks xty. That's pretty much what i've been doing. But struggling!

Last edited by Aly6690; 09-30-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Aly6690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I feel a combination of awkward and grateful when people mention my weight loss. I never get used to it, but after a while, (in the past when I lost weight), people don't mention it anymore....once you are maintaining since it's already been discussed and it's not new anymore. I wish I had better advice!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/216/130

Height: 5'4

Aly, I totally get where you are coming from. I don't like to tell anyone (except those that I am close to and now here in 3FC) that I am trying to lose weight, somehow I feel embarrassed when people know about it. I don't exactly know why but I think it has something to do with the fact that I am opening up and admitting to people that I am overweight and somehow it makes me feel like I am losing a challenge with the part of my mind that is in denial. I'm not sure that makes any sense but it's the best way I can put it.

Also, when people comment that I am looking good once I've lost some weight, I feel like they were judging me for what I looked like and now telling me that I looked ugly before the weight loss.

Now I just don't tell anyone that I am trying to lose weight because all eyes would be on me for their high expectations of me.

When people tell me "Christine, have you lost weight? Your looking good!" well I just smile and say thank you and go about the rest of my day because despite all my paranoia about the meaning behind what they are saying, I know I am probably over reacting and they probably mean well and are trying to encourage me.
creative mom of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Strangely, I'm the opposite. I'm a very, very introverted person. Never-the-less, I announce my loses and daily exercise efforts to the world. I talk to my mom about it, post it on my Facebook, and am more than happy to chat weight loss if people bring it up and actually seem interested.

And sometimes I just say "Thanks!" hehe.
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote