Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 01:59 PM   #1  
Progress..not perfection

Thumbs down 300+ And Ready To Try Again....#231

WELCOME!

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.

~~~~~~~~~
Old 10-23-2002, 02:02 PM   #2  
Progress..not perfection

Well, I thought I'd start a new thread before we got to 36 posts and 2cute threw a fit! (love ya girl) I'm here at work right now and don't have alot to say......as you know, dayshift is MUCH busier than nights. All in all, a pretty good tradeoff, seeing as I'm now in the land of the LIVING. I will hop on the computer when I get home and give you a long ol' post, right now I just wanted to start the new thread and give you guys a big See you tonight!
Old 10-23-2002, 06:11 PM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everybody! Wow, still working hard at this end. I've been wrapped up doing 'bank jobs' for the last few days. Finally finished up today and..............cancelled some shops for the next couple of days because my schedule was just too busy and I'm tired of being a crazy person! YIPEE! I'm learning!

I'm still doing vacuum cleaner training at Best Buy and have to do an apartment on Friday, but maybe I'll even find time to have lunch with a friend. That would be nice.

2cute: Weddings are so much fun. I hope you didn't find all that company too stressful! * Isn't posting pics annoying. When I put up the welcome it has to be different every time. Not that I didn't rotate them anyway, but geez, now you can only use them once.

Tina: 2.9 pounds is awsome! What's the matter with you being "kinda agrivated"? Silly girl! That's a great loss, especially when you're battling Mother Nature! * Glad you're liking the day shift. I bet that makes your life a bit more normal!

Sara: You and Reg are just too cute! Ahhhhh, to be young and in love again! * Good job on another 3 pounds. Can't wait for some 'after' pics.....or 'in process' pics.

Katrina: Your exercise efforts are so inspirational! Keep it up and in another year, I might be ready!

Tontoy: Congrats on the two pounds down! That's wonderful! I know how disappointing it is when we work so hard and don't find that evil thing moving......or worse yet......moving in the wrong direction, but for goodness sake, don't focus on that idea for the whole week. Think in positives: 'I will do well today', 'I will lose weight this week', 'I will get my water in today', etc. * [color=blue]HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! [/blue]

Michelle: What a great attitude: "That must mean something better is coming along!!" I'm sure there is something better, at least that's what I keep telling myself about hubby's job too. Sometimes it's just hard to have any patience.

Rebecca/Angelbaby: Welcome to our little corner of the world. You've come to the right place for love and support. I read your profile and my goodness, with 3 boys you should be on the go all the time. Tell us what you're doing, what you're eating and we'll try to help. We're never short on advice!

Mary: I bet you had a great time with the quilting bee. Is that a monthly thing? Hey, did you ever think of a name for your coffee thingy on Saturdays? You may have said and I didn't catch it while I was AWOL and just skimmy along.

Steph: I'm so glad you're feeling better. Colds and such are the pitts. I'm still messing with a sinus infection that started 3 weeks ago.

J-ann: Glad you're feeling better too. And Target? Woohoo! I love Target. Of course we pronouce it a bit French as in Targee with an accent over the 'e'.

Well girls, honey is going to be home any minute. I put a chicken casserole thing in the oven. I found the recipe in a magazine. Once I see how it turns out, I'll figure out WW points and let you all know. For now, it's still in the 'experimental' stages.

Love to all.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:12 PM   #4  

Default Hello Out There

Man we must be a busy bunch of lady's, not many post's today. How's everyone doing. Day three of a new week, food's been pretty good, still have to watch my portion size at supper time, did a one mile walk yesterday WATP, I can sure tell I haven't done anything for over a week, a little bit stiff this morning. Been drinking lots of water, I'm up at least 3 times a night running to the washroom.

I bought a pumpkin yesterday, it's really big, I love to carve the pumpkin's, I'm actually pretty good at it, So I've been searching the net for some pretty cool pumpkin patterns, found one of Frankenstein and one of a funny looking witch. Last year I think I only had 4 kids trick or treat at my house, small town and the kids including mine always hit the same streets, the richer parts of town. So I don't even think I'll buy candy this year, well maybe one bag jsut in case.

Sara on your 3lbs gone, man you must have some kind of will power, send some my way won't you. I was wondering, since you loss weight so fast, do you have much excess skin, like on your arms, you now the underside part that likes to keep on waving long after your hands done. Or on your belly, that's one thing I'm afraid of, I have really big arms, I'm always kidding with my fiance that I have bigger biceps then him, well I do, it's just not muscle, and I'm afraid If I lose alot of weight, I'll have these big flappy, wrinkly arms, and will have to get reconstruction surgery. I guess I shouldn't worry to much, that's along way off.

J-ann glad to have you back and on program, and remember Burger King is the enemy, it's poisonous

Tina, congrats on your loss as well your leaving me in the dust, but don't slow down I'll catch up.

Well I really have to go pee, that's what happens when you try to drown your hunger with water. So got to run, literally.

Check out my avatar, isn't she cute.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:00 PM   #5  

Duckie: I love your avatar....

I know, I have gotten way behind on my posting. It has been a busy week...snowed Monday and Tuesday!!!!!

But, thanks to all you Canuks we are suppose to get 40+ degree weather this weekend.

I need your brilliant minds to go to work for me....I have a small house, no closets, lots of furniture....I, as you may remember, am trying to manage my time better so since I tape Dr. Phil and Oprah I would like to find an aerobic "something" to do while I watch them. I don't have room for any equipment, thus the description of my house. I suppose I could march in place????? I was trying to think of something so I could watch the shows and get my exercise in at the same time.

I know one of you will have a solution to my problem.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:45 PM   #6  
a work in progress...

LUCKY! You modest girl...I see the reduction in your number! You go girl!! I lost another lb this week...I am officially 10 lbs less than 3 weeks ago. I have come to the realization that NO MATTER WHAT THE SCALE SAYS, I must continue to do what I am doing. So, If I have a slow week or two, I will not punish myself by binging...or even going over what I have been doing. I know that so many times in the past I would be pissed off at the scale for not"rewarding" me with a significant loss. And then I would have to "get back" at the scale by over indulging, since what the heck, "it" (the scale) doesn't work anyway!
NO MORE STINKIN' THINKIN'!!!

That will not get this job done! I will continue to exercise daily and eat well. Believe me, I have my slips...like those chocolate chip cookies I ate yesterday...(well, they WERE home made!) But I only had 4, as opposed to the dozen I would have normally eaten without even thinking about it. I'm trying to keep focusing on the fact that this is a long term commitment...for life! This is how I have to eat from now on, not go back to old ways, once I have lost what I want to lose!

So there's my rant...

DH just walked in, I'll try to get back later!

Love to all...

Last edited by katrinabgood; 10-24-2002 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:44 PM   #7  
Progress..not perfection

Hey guys! How are all my chickies tonight? Great, I hope. Today has been a great day! I came home and cooked dinner and it was so good! I had a 4 oz grilled seasoned turkey burger w/fried onions (in lite butter) on top (6 pts.), green beans seasoned with beef bullion cubes & lite butter (1 pt), 1/2 cup of strawberry applesauce (2 pts) and 2 small refrigerator biscuits. (2 pts) An absolutely awesome dinner for only 11 pts! After dinner, we all loaded up in the old Neon and went to our local walking track and walked a mile. (I carried 3# weights while we were walking) Of course, the boys had to torment me and I had to stop a couple of times and threaten their lives if they didn't stop kicking gravels at each other.

Food has been really good lately and if I do say so myself, I am pretty proud of me. The thing that I'm doing different this time that really seems to be working, is that before I "segregated" myself. "I" was eating this while everyone else was eating that. It always made me feel deprived. Don't get me wrong. There are still some things I won't eat now, but I go more for fixing the same thing for everyone and adjusting my portions insteading of cooking for "them" and then cooking for "me". Makes it all more normal, you know?

Kat: Good for you girl! I'm very proud of you for being 10# down. I'm even more proud of you for declaring you'll have no more of that "stinkin thinkin". It does nothing but demolish us. So what if you had 4 cookies? You didn't eat what you used to would have, and that is an improvement and I am so proud of you. You go girl!!

Lucky: Well, I've been straining the old brain trying to figure ouf what you could do while your watching Dr. Phil and Oprah. You could do the basic steps that I do for my WATP video. Here are the basic for steps. 1. Walk in place. 2. Kicks. (just kick each leg out---rotating) 3. Sidesteps. (take one step to the right...then let your left leg follow over, then do the same thing on the other side. Kinda like the way you danced in high school.) 4. Knees up. (March in place, but pulling your knees up higher to your chest) You could also lift your arms up and down or side to side while your walking in place. I just got the new WATP videos and I think I will send you my old ones if you would like them. I'm sure you would really like them if you tried them.

Duckie: First of all, I love the avatar. It is so "you". Don't ever change it. Secondly, I love Halloween too. My dh has the house all decked out with gobbly gooks, witches, pumpkins and ghouls....not to mention fake spiderwebs and little lit up critter all over the yard. On Halloween, he plays really spooky music and has the boys dressed up like statues and they scare trick or treaters as they come up. It's so much fun! Also, don't you worry about me slowing down girl. It will not happen. And I'm not worried about you catching up. I KNOW you will!

Thin: So good to see you my friend. You have been so busy these last couple of weeks. You definitely need to take out some time for you. Call a friend and go out and get you a bite to eat. Sure was nice to see that big long post from you though.

Well guys, the old bathtub is calling my name............I am in definite need of a bubble bath! See all my lovelies tomorrow. Have a wonderful night!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:59 PM   #8  

Thank you. Tina.... I printed out your instructions...Love the "like we danced in high school".....I noticed you also posted a picture of how I will look doing these exercies!!!!!!

It's too cold and dark to walk here now!!!! Darn winter!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:59 PM   #9  
You and Me in 2003

WE are calling the coffee shop the Cup and Chaucer. It is doing pretty good.
Son has a job for 2-3 days just temp stuff but he's out of the house
Old 10-23-2002, 09:33 PM   #10  
Dancing those pounds away

WOW... what a busy bunch we were today while I was gone.
It is soooo nice to come home and read all of your posts.
My day went pretty good. I have to go back Sunday and Monday though. My dad has an early doctor's appointment Monday morning and my sister has a new job and can't take off work so I am driving down to take him. As for my mom... well ... let's not talk about her. She has just given up on herself. She is so unhappy and I feel sooo bad not moving her here but there is no way I can take care of her needs. I love her... but I would commit suicide if I had to live with her... especially in her state of negativity.

I feel bad not writing a longgggg post. But I just can't seem to find the time to keep up with anything anymore. These trips keep me behind all the time.... that plus my procrastination problem.

You guys are doing soooooooo GREAT. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:03 AM   #11  

Default Hiya Ladies!

Okay... I'm just heading off to bed but wanted to respond to Duckie.

DUCKIE! Now you've gone and done it! Do you REALLY wanna know about my loose skin? Hmm... I have to admit to having some problems with it. It's mostly on my stomach and a bit on under my arms BUT it's not THAT bad. (It's WAY better than being 270 pounds!) After every shower, I put skin firming lotion on my tummy and arms... I THINK it's helped a bit. Loose skin was also part of my motivation for joining a gym last week; the more you exercise and tone, the less problems you have in the skin area. I'm not sure what exactly will happen in the future with it (38 more pounds to go)! If necessary, surgery is an option but not one I'll probably opt for! I read that skin, if it's gonna shrink back, can take up to 7 years! So maybe just living a healthy lifestyle for a few years will shapen it up. While loose skin is something to consider (I certainly did), don't let it dissuade you in the least in your weight loss efforts. I am SO happy to have lost!

Okay... I need to sleep. It feels like I'm coming down with a cold! Boo! And I was doing so well avoiding them for the longest time!

Sara
270/188/150
Old 10-24-2002, 03:41 AM   #12  
Dancing those pounds away

Loose skin... hmmm ... that is something I definitely am going to have. BUT... let's face it. You can have that loose skin dangling full of blubber .... or .... you can have it just loose skin. Hmmmm I think I will go with the empty loose skin.

As far as my dangling belly ..... I will just "roll it up" and stuff it into a pair of my new HOT PINK pants.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 10-25-2002 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:47 AM   #13  

Hello Ladies!

Sarah your weight loss is incredible, I hope to reach 188 some day. How long did it take you, and were you on weight watchers the whole time? It is so great to hear success stories of people who stick to it and loose the weight. I believe that weight loss is the hardest thing that I have ever had to do. It deals with my emotional and physical well being. It touches every aspect of my life, but I will gain control of it!

Katrina I love your positive attitude. Way to go. I am going to follow what you said! I know I am doing all the right things. I have set a mini goal for myself to be down 15 pounds by thanksgiving. I have lost 4 and I have 11 more to goal. Of course this is a mini goal I would love to see 160 sometime in 2003, I know it can happen with hard work.

Have a great day everyone.

Tonya
244/240/160
Old 10-24-2002, 09:43 AM   #14  
a work in progress...

Default How do you do??

I was tempted by lots of goodies at work last night and passed everything up. A couple of floors had Dunkin' Munchkins, one floor had a big bowl of sour cream and onion potato chips sitting right under my nose. I really wasn't in the mood for any of it. Now that I have 10 off, I want 10 more! (x10!) I did have my legal snack of peanut butter and graham crackers with milk. I think if there is something that I really, really want...like those choc chip cookies...I won't deprive myself, so, everyday, run of the mill junk food son't be as appealing.

Just a theory...

Duckie...If you exercise while you are dieting, there is much less chance of loose, flabby skin than if you wait to start exercisng after you've lost. Case in point; my big, fat "bingo arms." While they are no where NEAR where I want them to be, they are definitely smaller and tighter than they were a month or two ago. Exercise is the key.

HEY...Where's BAYLEE??? She hasn't posted in a few days. Lucky, will you go knock on her door and see if everything is okay? Maybe bring your snow shovel.

Mary...I LOVE that name! How appropriately cute!

Lucky, all good ideas from Tina for moving the bod in front of Dr Phil! Try some kick boxing moves too...kick your legs in front of you, out to each side and behind you...(kinda push back with your heel leading.) Punch your arms: reach out and pull back. Even punching the pretend punching bag, rapidly, will get your heart rate up. I was going to say draw the blinds, but maybe you'll scare the hunters away!

Tina...what a great family outing! Even if the kids are...well, kids! So good for them to get into the habit too! So proud of you!

Thin...hey, good for you, giving yourself a break! Sounds like you deserve a rest...besides, we need you here too!

Tontoy...Happy Anniversary! How sweet of your hubby to bring you flowers! To me, that is the best gift! Don't be scared about this process. Accept that it's going to take some time. You didn't gain the weight overnight...you won't lose it overnight either. Just do what you know that you need to do, and the weight loss will follow.

J-ann...don't give up on the weights. Even if you can do only a very little, do that! Increase as you feel that you can. Even if that means only three bicep curls or whatever, it's three more than none! I'm glad you're feeling better.

Steph...glad you're feeling better, too! Welcome back!

Sara, now that Steph an J-ann are feeling better, you're gonna be sick? I don't think so, young lady! Vit C and chicken soup for you, and back to the gym you go!

2cute...on the road again...just can't wait to get on the road again...We miss you when you're gone!

Michelle...YOO HOO! Where are you, girlfriend? Changing another "4 alarmer?" Writing a paper? Stop by and have a cup of tea with us!

Hey! Speaking of that...are we chatting this weekend??? Same time, same place? (8pm Eastern)..but lets try to pick a time good for everyone...we ARE a scattered lot!

I almost forgot...Angelbaby...we didn't scare you off, did we? Are you on any specific diet/exercise plan right now? Quite a few of us are Weight Watchers, some go to meetings, others just count the points. Some are low carbers...you just have to kind of figure out which plan is best suited to you...what are you most likely to stick to for as long as it takes. Obviously, we all love to post, so I will speak for all and say that we would be happy to give any advice you may need. (we don't always follow it ourselves, but we sure can give it!!) Best of luck to you!

Okay, it's that time again...time to EXERCISE!!! Today, I think I'm going to do some raking. It's only 42 out at the moment, but it's sunny and Fall-y and I need to get moving, so I'll go to Curves later on today.

See you chickies later...have a great day, all!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 10-24-2002 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:16 AM   #15  
Michigan Old-Timer

Good morning, everybody! That chicken casserole wasn't as good as I'd hoped last night. I'll have to play with the ingredients a little, I think. There was this tangy, sour taste to the sauce that I need to get rid of. We all ate it though. I guess we were hungry!

I really do need to get back to journalling. I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants this week as far as the points go. I'm feeling like I'm better on track, but don't have my elusive measuring stick to be sure. The other thing that's killing me is that I have gained just enough weight back to not have my scale register. I'm a scale hopper as you all know and when I'm doing well, I want to SEE progress. So it's really bumming me out that I'm in this predicurment. If I would just get with the journalling for a couple of weeks, I know I would be back to registering again and all would be well.

Maybe now that I've cut down on jobs for the next little bit, I'll be able to do more focussing on me and my program. Most of the time that isn't the case though. I take the time off, or at least in my head I take the time off, and then the jobs just roll in or I go looking for them once again. YIKES! Big vicious circle.

I'm off to do a vacuum job today. It's the only job I have to do today since I cancelled everything else. And no, it's not a vacuum job on my house (which thoroughly needs it, BTW). I have a bank job and an apartment due for tomorrow. And then of course a bit of work at the theatre tomorrow night or Saturday (it kinda depends on what honey has planned for Saturday and whether he wants to go see a movie).

I know someone asked, not sure who now, about what I do. I'm a Public Relations and Customer Service Consultant. Now, aren't you all impressed???? Basically, I do 'merchandising' which is displays, product placement, advertising placement, box conversions, cut ins of new products, etc. (a little of this and a little of that). I also do a good deal of 'mystery shopping'. That part of my business is all done anonymously so that's why you will find me being very vague when it comes to descriptions of the types of 'jobs' I'm doing. It's fun. I love it. It's something different every day.

Hey, take a look at this recipe and yes, I know it's not Sunday. It sounds really good to me and I just bought a couple of acorn squash.

Apple-cinnamon Acorn Squash

2 pound acorn squash, about 1 large
1 Tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Trim ends off unpeeled squash, cut in half, and remove and discard seeds and fibers. Slice each half into four 1/2" thick slices.

Melt margarine in a large nonstick skillet. Add apple juice and cinnamon; mix well. Add squash and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn squash slices over, cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 10 minutes more.

Yields 2 pieces of squash per serving. (Note: do not eat skin)
Serves: 4
Points per serving: 2

Well girls, I'm off. Gotta go do the vacuum thing. What are you all making for dinner tonight. I think I'll pull out either cod, salmon, or pollock fillets to do on the old 'George' tonight. That and a baked potato, some veggie (maybe that squash recipe) and a salad and I think we'll be good to go. That's one of the reasons why I have to cut my schedule down, so I can do more cooking at home. I cannot lose weight eating fast food out all the time, well, maybe if I made the right choices. But I find it much easier to cook!

See ya later. Love to all.

Last edited by thinthinker; 10-24-2002 at 10:29 AM.
Closed Thread