3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   5LB Challenge #6 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/21232-5lb-challenge-6-a.html)

Kaylets 10-21-2002 06:40 AM

5LB Challenge #6

#5 thread was getting a little long, thought it might be a good time to start a fresh one.

Just to review :

The "5 lb challenge" objective is to focus on a small goal. To many of us, the challenge of a larger number seems overwhelming. Each one of us decides when 5lb's could realistically be lost. And if that time isnt enough, we just adjust the goal date. All of us are winners, no matter where we are in our weight loss journey. Many of us pick a day for the a weekly weighin but again, that's personal choice- That's the beauty part-
This challenge is custom designed for you.

Monday is my official weighin day and I am thrilled this morning.
I was on a plateau for 3 weeks, and last week's loss made me wonder if I would begin a 2nd plateau. Instead, the scale is showing a 2.5lb loss. :D :D

Yes, TOM and etc. Still feels like a reward for waiting out the plateau weeks.--

So, the odds are in favor of a MARVELOUS MONDAY.

Today's thought is :

"If you don't hear opprotunity knocking, try another door"

:genie:

dollar 10-21-2002 07:32 AM

Way to go Kaylets keep up the good work. You didn't give in to the plateau. that is great.

Sarahbella 10-21-2002 08:51 AM

Guess Who!

Hi there!
It's long lost Sarah!!!

Today is my first day BACK on program!!

I've been absolutely dreadful with my eating.

I just got on my scale and it says 170.5!!!!
That's my heaviest in years!

Time to get going on program!

I made myself a nice healthy breakfast of oatmeal (2 pts) and I feel quite satisfied :)

I've decided that the old WW selection program works best for me. I need the discipline.
If anyone has access to the old program can you give me some of the info.

Thanks so much!

I'm happy to be back!
Let's update my info.
5lbs by November 4th
That would put me (according to my scale) at 165.5
When I go to my meeting on Wednesday I'll update you all

Thanks!

bobsgal 10-21-2002 09:09 AM

Yes I agree the old thread was getting a bit long. Welcome back Sarah. Well I lost 1 lb this week which I'm happy with considering I hardly exercised last week since I was sick. Definitely getting back into the swing of things this week.
Steph

Derek 10-21-2002 05:17 PM

I dont know if its just my scale but...

Ive been exercizing for about 20-30 mins per day (rollerblading, running up/down the stairs, and biking) for about just over a week now, and when I first weighed myself, I was 190. Now I am 185. I don't think it's possible to lose that much in that small amount of time, and not to mention im still eating things like Quesadillas and Corn Pops cereal...

Sarahbella 10-21-2002 09:32 PM

Derek,
That's wonderful!!! You must be making some healthy choices if you are losing. Eating better than you were :)

Congratulations!
I hope that I can say the same thing soon!

Today I did a big old belly flop! I wanted to do well, but didn't.
I took my daughter to the aquarium, and I ate a cheeseburger among other things

But I went shopping tonight, and bought some healthy foods :D
I'm happy to say I have all the tools I need to succeed!
:)
I'm going to give my friend a call to go walking tomorrow too!

Wish me luck!

Kaylets 10-22-2002 06:23 AM

Terrific Tuesday!!

Hello all!

Really overslept this am so will have to be short and sweet and promise to check in later today.

Derek and Sarabella- Welcome!

Today's thought is:

"They can because they think they can" -- Virgil

dollar 10-22-2002 07:31 AM

Well today is weigh in day, I know I have eaten well all week but Im not going to get my hopes up because then I just get let down by the scale as long as I know I ate like I should that is all that matters.

We have the tools at hand so why don't we use them?

I think when we can all honestly answer that question perhaps poeple being overweight will be a thing of the past.

Kaylets 10-22-2002 07:10 PM

Later Tuesday

Hello all!

Dollar- hope your weighin went as you hoped! You're doing terrific!

Derek- I noticed your other posts looking for advise-- Since you're
15--, you might want to also make sure your research is related to Teenagers- also, women's daily calorie intake is usually less than men's so make sure you're checking both--
Also, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised to find out that men often lose much faster than women do-
You are doing the right thing by researching and asking questions--Keep in mind, if all those "diet promises" for sale out there really worked- none of us would be overweight.

Sarabella- You've already done the hardest part! The first step is always the hardest one! and I know people who have cheeseburgers at least once a week-- they plan for them--
I remember years ago, I used to think nothing topped eating bagels. And once a week, I'd have one -- for about 6 weeks- and then, the taste just didnt live up to that week long wait--

Take care all!

dollar 10-22-2002 08:56 PM

Good evening all and good it is. just got back from weigh in , (well actually I walked the dog first) I am down 3 lbs this week and that gave me my 70lbs which just thrilled me I figured it would take 2 weeks to get there at least but I made it. So my next challenge is get5ting under the 2 mark and I have 2.4 lbs to get to 199. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all feel as good as I do.

Kaylets 10-23-2002 06:02 AM

Wonderful Wednesday

Hello All!

Yaaayyy Dollar!! On your way to Onederland!!!!! This is GREAT!!

Going to go downstairs and use the Total Gym this morning- Makes a big difference what you get accomplished when you don't oversleep!!

Let's see how many good choices we make today!

Today's thought is one many you might already know but its worth repeating:

"Seize the day!" from the Marine Corps

anagram 10-23-2002 01:31 PM

Ah, it's not so wonderful for me today, at least not weightwise. Yesterday in a "sneak preview" the scale showed I had FINALLY made my second five pounds. However, today on the "official" day it was way up. So onward and downward. Maybe I can finally reach that goal weight (I think it was 229.4) by next week. I just need to get rid of that new water weight and lose another .8 lbs. Must focus, focus, focus.

Congrats to all this week's losers.

Kaylets 10-24-2002 06:11 AM

Tremendous Thursday!

Hello all!!

Thursday !!

Anagram! Again, we share something in common- I collect bee pins as I really enjoy the idea that the bee is not "engineered" to fly, but the bee doesn't know that and DOES fly--
"Sneak" previews are so exciting when it looks promising- and then the next time- "what happened!?!" -- I know I've said this before but its really true- until I started weighing myself more often, I really didnt "get" the reality that our bodies are really in constant motion, constant flux- The good news is that if you did see a lower number, you'll see it again- Try to presevere- You really are doing terrific-- After all, you made the hardest step by deciding to change your lifestyle.

oopps, time is moving faster than my fingers!

Today's thought is:
Ever since I found out Babe Ruth struck out 1,330 times, I've been feeling a lots better" ----Ziggy by Tom Wilson

anagram 10-24-2002 08:49 PM

Ah yes, bees, butterflies and birds. I think subconsciously I want to be able to fly away. My 2 yr old granddaughter is just learning to talk but she told me "I grow up I be a butterfly" and I thought "that's my girl". Me too. I can't wait to metamorphize.

Feeling so much better now that the snipers are caught. What a harrowing time.

And Friday tomorrow - no special plans for me. Just want to "cocoon".

Kaylets 10-25-2002 06:34 AM

Fabulous Friday!

Here it is, a fresh new Friday !!!!!

What a relief to know "the sniper" has been stopped. We are about 2 hrs from that area but very close to I-95 .... Cannot even begin to imagine what their reasons were ....

Continuing to try and string good choices together

Thursday nights, DH and I stop on the way home from work for dinner. Last night, had Eggplant Parmigana (SP?) w/ Whole Wheat Pasta. Its a very nice restaurant w/ an enormous wine list and lots of entrees w/ wine sauces- But the eggplant is fairly safe and is tasty. DH then goes on to his bowling league with a good meal in him and I come home and listen to music!

Today's thought is:

"Success is about who you are, not what you have."

dollar 10-25-2002 06:55 AM

Hurray it is Friday,
Today it the last day of my seven day stretch at work. It has been a good week at work I have managed to get lots done. Today will be very bust however because I have 2 new admissions and that makes for a busy day. Im off for the weekend so that is a good thing. The only trouble I have with all the working is I don't seem to get all my water in, I seem to be just forgetting about it at work and then I have to try to get it all in afterwards. I guess Im getting in the right amount but when Im home I get in so much more. Well I hope everyone Has a good day and a great wekend.

Kaylets 10-26-2002 06:28 AM

Simply Saturday

This Saturday am going to the Eastern Convention of Toastmasters. I joined only a week ago as my job hosts a chapter. Coincidentally, the convention this year is also here in Delaware- even more ironic is that the hightlight of today's offerings is the "Humorous Speech Contest" which the President of our Chapter is a "contender".

Will be there all day-- hope they have water available-

Today's thought is:

"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is just that little 'extra' " --Zig Ziglar

Here's to good choices!

anagram 10-26-2002 08:53 AM

Sounds like you both will be having a good Saturday- one working, one resting.

I find I have more trouble getting water in now that it's not as hot. My goal is still 96 oz but I'm more around 80 most days and that's with effort. And I'm still running to the bathroom everytime I turn around.

Still no real plans but that's ok too.

dollar 10-26-2002 09:00 AM

Well so much for not working today, I will be going in at 10. I guess I will get Sun to rest and then back to it again Mon. Of course I will have things like laundry to do on Sun since I haven't been around all week to do it. No rest for the wicked.

anagram 10-26-2002 09:16 AM

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure it deflates you a bit. You do need some catchup time even when you love your job. I think you said you work in a nursing home, didn't you?

dollar 10-26-2002 04:12 PM

Yes anagram I do work in a Nursing home as the ward clerk or like one resident's family member called me today Jack of All trades. I intend to take it easy tomorrow. Under no circumstance will I go to work till Mon.

jacksonmom 10-26-2002 06:32 PM

I would like to join your challenge. I'm a stay at home but do work outside the home 5 hrs. a week give or take. I have an 8 mth. old son (my first child). I need to lose about 70 lbs. I do well with working out but fail with my eating. I'm hoping this might help. I'm planning to lose 5 lbs. by Nov. 22. I will have my weigh ins be Mon. Wanted to introduce myself and will post my totals on Mon. Have a good weekend!

Kaylets 10-27-2002 06:25 AM

Stupendous Sundday!

Hello all!!

This morning is the first morning of the our Time change- MY FAVORITE!! The clocks move back one hour in the fall and until you body adjusts, you wake up feeling refreshed and its still ONE HOUR BEFORE YOU HAVE TO GET UP!!
Lots of people disagree with me, they prefer the change in the spring but for me, the fall is the best.

Water-- it can be a struggle-- For me too, when things are especially busy the bottle just sits there. One thing I've tried when I know its going to be busy is to drink as much as I can before I even leave the house-- Its too hard to try and make it up before bed at night- and then you're back and forth all night too!!

Welcome Jacksonmom!! I can't even imagine how unpredicatalbe your schedule must be!! I would have to have a whole list of Plan B's for when my schedule was rearranged.
My weighin day is Monday's too! This morning's sneak peak looked like the same as last week but at least it doesnt show more than last week!!

So, here's to making the best choices we can today!!

Today's thought is:" Never give up. This may be the moment of your miracle " --- Greg Anderson.

Kaylets 10-28-2002 05:41 AM

Momentous Monday!

Hello all!!

Monday is my weighin day- I am happy showing a pound loss as just 3 weeks ago I was "plateau'd for nearly a month" and was wondering what would happen the week following a 2.5lb loss.

So, one down is one less and I am pleased.

DH and I are starting to go thru our belongings and eliminating the duplicates, not needed, don't like, etc. It's making for activity points -- bending, stair climbing, etc-- If you look in the dictionary under "Packrat" -- You would see our photo!!
--:dizzy: :dizzy:

I understand the clothing that's too big but when did all this other stuff get put in the basement, garage, closet, etc.
:?: :?:

Today's thought is:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway. " --- John Wayne

Here's to making the best choices !!:genie:

anagram 10-28-2002 08:43 AM

Congrats on that loss, Kaylets!

Would we had the discipline to go through the stored things in anticipation of an oft discussed move to smaller quarters! I consider it one of my weight loss goals in one sense but make little progress. In this home 33 years and have LOTS of stuff still belonging to long married children. But I don't nag them too much because I've not cleared out my own treasures. I live in sentimental city and it's time to get tough.

Gray here again this morning when Sun was predicted. Arguing still with myself about plans for the day. Know I SHOULD make a trip, don't want to. Want to stay in cozy comfort. It's as though I only have enough discipline for one thing at a time anymore.

Did find some nice color in ride through surrounding mountains yesterday. Not the best color year but we did find enough to calm our souls a bit. Trip decision would be through area with potential for good color but not as much fun when gray.

Hope dollar got a chance to rest yesterday. I sure did.

Kaylets 10-28-2002 05:38 PM

Its so true

We did the same thing to our parents house and then when they sold the house, it was amazing how little we really did take w/ us once we got a good long look at what had been sitting there waiting for us!!

anagram 10-28-2002 06:35 PM

Right - things are often better in memory than in reality. I know when I look at some of my things, I now wonder why I've saved them this long. Esp. since maybe someone else could have enjoyed/used them along the way and now they're just old. All I need is a shot of adrenaline!

Kaylets 10-28-2002 08:25 PM

27 fling boogie??

Have you ever heard of the "27 fling boogie" ? You grab 27 things from your house, whether its 27 magazines or 2 pr pantyhose, 1 pr shoes, a newspaper, a cup, etc and out it goes- to the trash, Charity, Goodwill, just OUT-- The point is that just like our weight loss journey can only be by small steps, a houseful of "extras" can be "downsized" in small steps. You stop and don't do another boogie until the next time the trash is picked up, or at least the next day. Why? To avoid burnout-- the same way we have learned to change our eating lifestyle- small steps so we're not overwhelmed and give up.

I did a couple kitchen cabinets- especially those odd plastic containers that are missing lids or the orphan lids themselves- they never get used- and you know what- it's been over a month and no one has missed any of those plastic containers!

anagram 10-28-2002 09:29 PM

I started out even smaller - suggested to dh we find three things a week to throw out. He agreed but it took me three weeks to get him to do it - and we only did it once!

I do go in spurts and over the last couple of years have actually rid us of a good bit. But things seem to grow. I need a major cupboard reorg but have only done a couple of the easier things.

Am appalled to think of Christmas being less than two months from now and am going to have to start on the small things there too. I do so much less than I used to and it still takes me forever.
Then we leave for FL for two months and by the time we get back and get straightened out it's yard work time, and on and on the circle goes. Good thing I have fun and enjoy most of what I do....

Kaylets 10-29-2002 05:51 AM

Tantalizing Tuesday!

Here we are, Tuesday !!!!!

Anagram, I know exactly what you mean about waiting for DH!!
I'm starting to think DH gets his motivation from me! All I know is, if I wait for him, it can be a looonnnngggg wait!!
:lol: :lol:

The one thing about 'Decluttering' that's different than losing weight is that I think you see the difference faster. On the other hand, you can fill up a space again really fast too!! Ever notice how a empty flat surface seems to have a magnetic pull??? :?: :?

Little chilly this am, crisp really. Dogs came running right back in, no dawdling. Have to run the heat in the car this am for sure!

Today's thought is:

"No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted" --Aesop

Here's to each choice being the best one!! ( the better if there's only a choice of two!) ;)

anagram 10-29-2002 06:25 AM

I do love that brisk air - maybe that's why I feel better this a.m.

Funny thing, Kaylets. I hit the flylady.net site last night and got the decluttering instructios. Have seen the site mentioned on different threads. Fortunately most of my "cluttered" sites are hidden but I've noticed several places do have that magnetic appeal. I do do things in small steps when I do them but it's of physical necessity and I seem to be developing a blind eye to some spots.

Vow of the day - no more waiting for dh to get with it. I'll just buzz circles around him. While I was away yesterday, he had a burst of energy and did an amazing amount of his outside chores.

I did make the trip and was amply rewarded with color en route. Not the best I'd ever seen but more than I had expected to see this year. I think I hit that stretch at its best day too. So today I'm glad I made that effort (and also glad because I caught up my work there). Must buzz today as tomorrow's a "play day" with dh. Going to drive an hour in the rain tomorrow to have lunch with old friends. The next day is also pretty well filled with "out of house" things so no buzzing then either.

As usual, your quote hit me well today. Up and about now for a nutrional, calorie controlled day of kindnesses (hopefully).

Kaylets 10-29-2002 07:04 AM

Couldnt resist!!

Just had to jump back on as I run out the door--

Yes, the 'Boogie" is the Flylady's-- and the beauty part of the whole concept is "baby steps". And to borrow your phrase, Anagram, its such a basic concept, I did develop a "blind eye".

I can relate about the fall foliage too! It's very "pale" here as a general rule compared to what we would see when we lived up North- - This time of year makes me homesick for the trees!!

Have fun on your road trip!

dollar 10-29-2002 07:05 AM

Yes I did get to have a rest on Sun, I still raked leaves and did some laundry and made meals but I really enjoyed it I did it at my own pace. good thing to because yesterday at work was crazy I seemed to run my entire shift, got lots of activity points anyway. After today I have 2 days off so Im looking forward to get things done around here I don't even my Halloween stuff out. It is getting a little late for it but I will do it anyway. I declutter every month because we give our stuff to a charity. We don't do a perfect job and it isn't everything but it sure helps. Well got to run . Have a good day.

dollar 10-29-2002 10:32 PM

Well it was a great day today down 2.2 and doctor took me off of one of my blood pressure medications. Hopeyou all have a great week.

Kaylets 10-30-2002 05:24 AM

Winsome Wednesday

Hello all!!

:D :D Dollar!! Tremendous NonScaleVictory!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
What a great reality check!!! Our bodies know long before our minds understand... Your body is starting to work like a thinner body, a healthier body. I am so proud of you!!

The first time I joined WW's was in Highschool. I don't think I had more than 30lbs to lose. I am sure that was the very lowest number in the range too-- When I look back at those highschool pictures, I cannot imagine what made me think I needed to lose anything-- But mentally, I felt like I was dragging around the weight of the world and acted like I was too.
NonScaleVictories!!! I really feel they are just as important (if not more) than the numbers on the scale. I am going to find at least 2 NSV's a week to make me realize "I'm not in Kansas anymore!"

On another note, when I was at the conference on Sat, we dropped into the mall next door to stretch our legs during the afternoon break. Lady I was with decided she wanted a fancy coffee. I didnt even go near the counter initially because I had already bought water at another stand. Then, I saw some bottles displayed which looked just like the Davinci syrup bottles. Clerk helped me find Chocolate Sugar Free !! 0 calories!!!!
DH and I have only tried it in coffee but even if that's all we use it in, YUMMMMMM!!
The label is the same as the coffee store "The Coffee Beanery" - ( FYI-- It is made w/ Aspartame not splenda.)

So, the good news is that-- 1) found a local supply of syrup
2) found a place to that sells Sugar free flavored coffee ( one cup at a time)-- Afterall, winter is coming, sometimes you just want something warm!!

So, now, I am hoping to find more and more out there-- to save on the shipping and etc is exciting. !

Ok, ok, I know its time to stop.

Today's thought of the day is:
"The nice thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time" -- Author unknown

anagram 10-30-2002 09:04 AM

Congratulations, dollar, on the loss and Kaylets on "not being in Kansas anymore". The NSVs are an important part of this journey, aren't they? I feel I've changed my lifestyle greatly so far (even though not always losing weight) and now don't even miss some of the things I craved so at one time.

I do have a success today though. I'm down and I don't know how much because I hardly counted last week's shocking figure. The important thing is I'm down from two weeks ago. That's down .8 (I think). I am sure that today I weighed in at 229.4 which is (weak TaDa) exactly five pounds from when I started my second 5# challenge and gives me a total of 10 from when I joined this thread. I've also noticed I am having trouble being sure about past weights and had to go back and check. I consider this a NSV as I don't want numbers to be the all important thing.

Dh said he found a tiny mite of snow on some garbage he had stored outside overnight when he put it out this a.m. Brrrr! So good thing you found the place you can get the non=caloric coffee treat. You had mentioned once living more north, Kaylets? Where was that?

Kaylets 10-31-2002 05:56 AM

Terrific Thursday!!

Hello all!!

Don't feel quite myself this am but will make a final decison later-

Job has been "pedal to the metal" all week. Never left my desk yesterday long enough for lunch-- Luckily, had some music in the car that helped alot, especially since the drive home was twice as long due to the storm. Gave me time to unwind.

Anagram- about living "north" -- now that really is a perspective thing isnt it?? I was referring to Connectitcut-- I'm sure some of our Canadian friends wouldn't think CT was as "north" as I do!!
:dizzy: :dizzy:

Today's thought is:

"Even a thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Kaylets 11-01-2002 06:21 AM

Fantastic Friday!

Hello all!!

Still not sure if this pounding head and general lethargy is a cold coming on..... Jury is still out and must go to work, it would be more painful to explain what was on my desk than to go in and deal with it!!!

Today's thought is:
"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure" -- Joseph
Campbell

anagram 11-01-2002 09:55 AM

Hope you feel better soon.

Well, Connecticut is north to me so I'd agree with you.

things are still swamped here this morning from yesterday being so busy so will post more later.

Kaylets 11-02-2002 06:32 AM

Simply Saturday!

Hello all!

Need to be very vigilant today as yesterday I ate at least 10 pts worth of candy corn ( and that's just a guess- -the dish had aprx 2 cups in it- )-- today I expect the sugar cravings and wouldnt be suprised if they hit as soon as I'm really awake.

I am not feeling too stressed about the whole incident it only happened once ( that stupid dish has been sitting next to the copier for weeks).

I am hoping my flavored waters ( which I didnt have yesterday:?: :lol: could there be a connection?) will help.

So, lots of fluids - !

Today's thought is :

"Don't give up at half time. Concentrate on winning the second half." -- Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant