Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #1  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 187/175/150

Height: 5'6

Default quick ?

i know this question has probably been asked but here goes... i have 24 points and that seems to equal out to around 1200 calories a day which is not a huge deal, but i want to loose 30lbs and as i loose my points will go down and i know im not suppose to go under 1200 calories so how come people are at 18 points ect... im just concerned that when i go to maintain that ill be at to low of a calorie intake or even i know sometimes weight loss will stop cause you are not getting Enough calories, can someone shed some light on this? thanks!
nicolewoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #2  
Meg

My understanding is that a WW point can be anywhere from 20 to 90 calories, depending on the fat and fiber content of the foods you're eating. So the estimation of a point being equal to 50 calories might be right, but could be off base.

In addition, WW builds in 250 calories a day for zero point foods, so you would need to add those calories in if you want to come out with the calorie equivalent to your 24 daily points. You might be surprised that you actually get more than 1200 calories, possibly quite a bit more.

If you're curious about how many calories you're actually eating in a day, maybe take a week and log everything (including veggies and zero point foods) in a site like Fitday, and see where you end up?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #3  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I did WW twice, and like you, felt that my caloric intake was very low. The key is to focus on healthy foods and to not waste any calories on non-nutritional stuff (especially as you get closer to your goal weight).

Having said that, I finally lost all of my weight using a different program, and in the end, ate a lot less than I did on WW. There actually came a time when they reduced my intake & I GAINED WEIGHT! Ha! I took myself off that plan and opted to eat at the higher level, and I lost. I didn't go down to the lower plan until I was within 5 pounds of my goal - and then it worked like a charm.

Bottom line for me is to (a) track your calories as Meg suggested so you begin to understand both the composition of your diet and the total calories, and (b) trust that it will work...and if it doesn't, don't be afraid to listen to your body & do what is right by it.

Lastly, I know WW allows you to add back in points/calories for exercise. This is really important for long run success, in my opinion.

Good luck to you!
Cheryl
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #4  
God Will Guide Me!

S/C/G: 272.8/ticker/234

Height: 5'7''

When I was counting calories I ate A LOT less than I do now on WW points. I was always hungry but now I eat and eat and am losing weight at a HEALTHY rate. Counting calories for ME takes up too much time and restricted me from eating alot of things because I could never figure out how many calories it had (I make home cooked meals alot) I think its easier and a time saver to just punch in what I eat (I have an app on my phone) and it tells me how many points I have used/ still have. It is what works best for ME. I am following the weight watchers program without actually paying any online fees or attending meetings and I am loving it!!. SHORT answer: I agree, with Meg.
jackiemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Make sure you also eat a lot of 0 point veggies. I love that weight watchers doesnt' count the vegatables! Also, you get 35 extra points per week so 5 points extra per day, so that's another 250 - 450 per day (depending on the food) plus the extra veggie calories. I LOVE WW but everyone is different so find what works for you.

Last edited by Shytowngal; 09-02-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote