Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #1  
--Alex--

S/C/G: 223/ticker/160

Height: 5'3"

Default How to Tackle Change

Hey everybody,

My first big news -- I'm down 30lbs now! It's been extremely slow going the last few weeks, but I think that's mostly because I've been playing around with my Carb intake some. My doctor thought I needed more, but when I ate as much as he said I came to a screeching halt. I think I have it all balanced out now, though.

Yay for that! However, I've been stressing lately about something else. September 1st I am moving back to Victoria to start my second year of University. I have a basement suite there, a stellar and supportive roommate, and a pretty decent kitchen. Seems pretty smashing to me, except I'm worried mostly about my motivation to actually cook for myself, and the cost of food. I was joking with my aunt that it's so much cheaper to eat like crap, but I've recently kept an eye open and realized just how much more expensive it is to eat healthily.

I do have some faith in myself though... I'm still going to have to play up the starving college student thing, but I'll just have to become a good deal hunter. I will not break down and buy KD just because it's only $0.99! I've gotten this far, and I sure as **** don't feel like stopping yet =)

I wanted to hear about the struggles you've all had with food and exercise or anything really, and how you got through them. If you have any advice, please, let me know! I appreciate it all.

Thanks and good going everybody!
duckygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Duckygirl. Congrats on your weight loss! I have one suggestion for the cash-strapped student. Check your local resources for a program that provides fresh produce at a discount rate. In SK we have the Good Food Box program and you can get a big tub of random veggies and fruit for super cheap. The only caveat is that you get what they have, you don't choose. The upside to that is that you sometimes get things you've never tried before and may discover a new favourite!
Many of these programs also offer a staples package that includes rice, pasta, that type of stuff. it can be a lifesaver when you're on a budget and trying to eat well. If you can plan a little, cook ahead, pack lunches etc you'll conquer!
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

Ooooh, I know how this feels. Going back to school again next week, and dreading grocery shopping.

But.....

Don't think of healthy eating as being more expensive. I won't go into the statistics that show that it's the same or less, blah blah blah. Think of it this way - I'm guessing you probably are enjoying smaller portions? You're probably also planning ahead. Do you have a freezer and cupboard space? Favourite healthy things go on sale? Bam, stock up! Having a bit of a thin week, budget wise? Replace a few portions of meat with some non-meat protein. My best advice is to invest in good tupperware and storage containers and to use them! I save a lot because I don't waste a lot. I also am more inclined to pack lunches and snacks because I have things to put them in! I find that I actually eat a whole pint of berries before they go bad because I wash them all and cut them all up at once, and store in them in the fridge and then I can't complain that I'm too tired to make myself a healthy snack! Plus with the right containers, you can make a bigger batch of something inexpensive (hello, veggie chili and spaghetti sauce!), and freeze it!

I genuinely think that since I've started to be really conscious of what I eat, I've started spending less on food in general. And when you stick to your goal of buying healthier food, you're going to feel awesome, which is priceless.
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #4  
--Alex--

Thanks to both of you! I had no idea there were food programs like that, and I'm definitely going to look into it right away.

A group of friends and I are already planning on having 'cooking parties' where we make a bunch of stuff with the intention of freezing it. I have to say that I never really considered the fact that I'm actually eating less than I used to. I also realized that I'm really lucky to be living somewhere that has a lot of local produce, so I'll have to look into things like that.

Thanks again! I'm feeling a lot more positive, and I'm going to have to go get some containers asap!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

No problem! That's why we're here!

2 more things: there's a really great conversation going on about this in the 20-somethings forum too. Some people have posted great ideas. And, in addition to containers, I also use ziploc bags (I just make sure to wash them out and reuse them, for the environment). Helpful for freezing and storage, and great when you have too many containers on the go.

Also, when I freeze stuff/store it in the fridge, I always label it with masking tape and a sharpie - just what it is and when I made it. It keeps me organized, and ensures I use things up before they spoil.
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #6  
--Alex--

Good points again! Pretty excited, too, because I've gotten in contact with the Good Food Box and I can start right away in September