Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #1  
Graceful Loser

Default Hair falling out.

Okay, so I have tried to ignore this but it has become such a big problem that I really need help/advice.

I stopped eating meat except for fish in about December/January. I have also lost about 73 pounds. In the past 4-6 weeks I have noticed a large amount of hair loss. Am I getting enough protein? Or is there something else going on with me?
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #2  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

I'm sorry that you're going through this... I understand how frightening it is to deal with.
It's definitely something that you'll want to talk to your doctor about... it could be any number of things, diet one of them. It's probably nothing serious, but certainly get checked out just to be safe.
I'm sure this isn't the reason, but I go in spurts where I lose a lot of hair (luckily I have a lot) due to my lupus. Actually I just swept up a pile of it in front of my scale. It was very scary when it started happening, and still kinda is, but at least now I know why, and that helps.
Best of luck!
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #3  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

Hair loss can be caused by not eating enough fat... eating a low amount of fat for a long time can result in hair loss (among other issues). You need to see your doctor, and make sure you are getting a good ratio of fat/protein/carbs as well as all your vitamins and minerals. It could be any number of things, but you mentioned that you gave up meat so I wonder if you are getting enough fat from other sources.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My hair fell out when I went low low fat.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #5  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I had same thing happen~Consult your doctor most definetly
Mine turned out to be hereditary balding(LUCKY ME) Ilearned from a dermatologist after being placed through several test to confirm to make sure it wasn't something else..Anyways I started using Walmart brand Rogaine & Now 7 months later u can not tell it at all! I have regrown hair! So It may be a thyroid problem, a defiency in food ~or genes,Or a number of things definetly go to a doctor~We can only guess ~They can test ya & know what it is for sure.HUGS* & goodluck!
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #6  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

I am sorry this is happening for you and I concur with the rest of the replies, I would check with your doctor and have them evaluate the situation. Keep up the good work and keep posting
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Are you taking any type of multivitamin? The hair growth cycle is not immediate so hair falling out/notiiceable balding could be a result of something a couple months ago and may take a couple months to notice positive change.

I'd look at taking a multivitamin if you aren't already, look at how much fat you are eating, etc. I eat a low fat vegan diet but some days I realize that I'm just not eating enough fat so I add something here or there with fat like olives/avocado/etc. I've never had hair fall out though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Lack of vitamin B12, which is found in animal products, can also sometimes cause hair loss. Strict vegans and vegetarians need to look out for this, but since you're eating fish (and maybe dairy and eggs - you didn't specify) perhaps this isn't the culprit. It's worth getting checked out though.
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #9  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I don't have an easy answer because I am going through the same thing. My loss is quite excessive and its really noticeable now. I am waiting to see a new doctor on the 27th. If you google weight loss hair loss you will come up with some information. I guess it is common for some people to lose hair while dieting. I understand how unsettling it is. I am at the point where I don't have much more to spare.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #10  
Leah~Lost 107~Day 6

S/C/G: 349/242/180

Height: 5'5

Smile

Just wanted to mention that this happened to me after a substantial weight loss. I thought it was a vitamin deficiency. After a few tests my doctor discovered I had developed hypothyroidism out of the blue. There were many other symptoms that were easily mistaken for other common things. After being on meds for about a month the hair loss subsided and the hair has slowly began to grow back in. I understand that it can “just happen” as one grows older for no apparent reason. It can also be accompanied by depression. I would most definitely get it checked out to be on the safe side. A simple blood test to for it will give you the answer. Good luck!

Last edited by LeahsFreshStart; 08-16-2010 at 10:49 AM.
LeahsFreshStart is offline   Reply With Quote