3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I get made fun of all the time...Warning: long and boring. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/208590-i-get-made-fun-all-time-warning-long-boring.html)

iwonder 07-30-2010 01:40 PM

I get made fun of all the time...Warning: long and boring.

Let me start off with saying I have a lot of issues regarding my looks...I'm female,24 yrs old and still feel like an insecure 11 year old. I'm really short
4'10" therefore I get made fun of a lot for being short. Growing up I've always been pretty skinny until puberty I gained some weight weighing in at 105 pounds (that might sound thin but again I'm really short). I had a physical when I was 11 and the doctor said I was "Obese" from that point on I started dieting and trying to lose weight.
Right now, my weight is 102 with body fat 29% and BMI 21.9.
When I see people that I haven't seen in a long time they say "You lost a lot of weight. You used to be chubby." Then I get random remarks about how I gained weight when I really haven't...
Recently, I was talking to a family member on Skype and the first words she spoke "You're chubby. Did you just gain weight?" I said I'm not chubby-then she continued "Yes your arms are chubbier than your photos...You can lose 5-6 pounds." Mind you, I was acutally heavier in these photos she saw of me on facebook. I guess I'm just ranting here but I don't understand why people feel talking about others weight gain or losing weight randomly is NOT rude? I've had a couple of encounters with tactless ladies who just feel the need to comment on my weight. maybe it's a culture thing.

Viviane 07-30-2010 01:47 PM

:hug: Sounds like you're surrounded by some really rude people. Next time something like that is said, you should ask, "would you like to discuss your shortcomings?" Show them you won't be treated like that and they'll learn that they can't. It'll take steel...um...ones the first time you do it, but I guarantee it'll empower you!

Good luck! :hug:

iwonder 07-30-2010 01:51 PM

Aw, thanks and congrats on your weight loss! What annoys me when I walk into a clothes store looking at x-small shirts or small sizes and the employee insists that I'm a "large"... I know I'm short but I don't think they are being malicious they honestly think I'm that size which is hard to get angry at but once it happened and I replied "You're a *****!" and the girl just laughed saying "Maybe a medium but a small won't fit you!"

Viviane 07-30-2010 02:02 PM

Thanks;)

And, wow! That's pretty ballsy of them. I worked retail at one point and I would never have said that to someone, even if I thought it!

Good for you for calling her on it! Seriously, you've got to show people they can't treat you that way, you don't deserve it. When store people are getting too far in my space, I always smile and say, "When I need your help, I'll let you know." That gets them to back off pretty quick!

ETA: If they're really rude, I've also been known to ask, "I'm sorry, at what point did I ask for your opinion?" But, that's usually reserved for someone who's shockingly rude for absolutely no reason. I'm not a witch for no reason!! Haha!

beerab 07-30-2010 04:11 PM

Wow yeah one time this girl I hate told me "you are really hairy" and I replied to her "well you are really fat..." and that shut her up :)

I know I know that's mean but she deserved it! Don't let them bring you down!

Gold32 07-30-2010 05:04 PM

5-6 pounds? Seriously? People like that will find anything about you to pick on. Even if your body was 100% perfect, they'd find something. This is what breeds anorexia, model-starved thinness, and plastic surgery.

For the record, I just checked. Even at 4'10", you enter normal BMI at 115. If anyone says you are chubby at 102, smack them. That is pretty much as perfectly centered in the normal range as you can get. Btw, what weight were you when your doctor called you obese? I think your Doctor has every right to weigh in on your weight, when it's at a point that its effecting your health. When it's not at that point, or if you didn't ask, they are just breeding more unnecessary insecurity.

Ignore them, point out one of their issues to highlight the rudeness of doing so, or, my personal choice: tell them about your BMI and body fat percentages. I would make them feel like an idiot for bringing it up, when you clearly know much more about it than them.

iwonder 07-30-2010 05:59 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth

GOLD! You're right this is what causes eating disorders I was explaining this to my BF.

The Doctor said I was obese at height 4'8" weight 105. My mom was mad saying he doesn't understand "our type of body" meaning we are bottom heavy. Either way the words came out of his mouth.