Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default He proposed! Resize ring?

My wonderful bf proposed last night and I gladly accepted!

I do need advice on something though. He bought me a lovely solitaire diamond ring. He didn't know my ring size but the jeweler said they would happily resize it. I think the ring might be a little too small!

It goes over my knuckle and fits on my finger but it feels a little too tight. Another ring I used to wear was a size 8 and I believe this ring is a 7.5. If I stayed the weight I was right now I would want it resized, but I'm losing weight! I've read about rings getting too small or too big with weight loss and gain, so I really don't know what to do.

I haven't worn a ring in years so I don't have a lot of experience to fall back on. I need help! I'm 206 right now and my goal weight is 170.

Are my fingers going to slim down significantly?

How many pounds did you lose before noticing a difference in your rings?

When do people lose weight in the fingers? Gradually with the rest of the body or only at a much lower body fat percentage?

I really don't want to have it resized to find that I need it made smaller again soon!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Congrats!!!!!!!!

My ring went from a 7 to a 5.25 and it still may have to get sized again. I'd say if it's not too uncomfortable, wait to size it. If you keep losing it will fit better in no time and then you'll need to size it down! Congrats again!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #3  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Congratulations

I would suggest waiting it out unless you REALLY want to wear it right now. I went down ring sizes fairly quickly. When I was 225 pounds I wore a size 9.5. By the time I was 180 pounds, I was a size 7.5. I had a bridge put into my ring at that point to make it smaller. I need to go and have it permanently re-sized smaller very soon because its too big even with the bridge. I bet I am a size 6-7 now.

Maybe you can wear the ring on a necklace for the time being. I bet you will fit into it in no time at all
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

I think each person is different & probably depends on how much weight is lost. I got married at 135. Within the yrs I have gone up to 160 & my ring still fit. I have more problem with my hands swelling in the humidity then with my weight gain & losses.
tymaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #5  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

My fiance proposed when I was at about a 10 pound loss, now at 30 pounds gone it is very lose and swings around my finger. I'm at the point where I'm worried it may just slip off one day.

I'm actually looking to get it re sized soon, I just hate being without it. When we first got it we had to wait two days to get it sized and all I wanted to do was wear it!

Keep in mind, some peoples ring sizes do not change with weight loss, at least not significantly.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #6  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

congrats! that is awesome! i agree with the others that you may want to wait a bit just to see if it starts to fit a little better soon. hope you had a great celebration!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I think you shouldn't get it resized right now. If you can wear it and it's just a little tight, it might be attributed to some swelling since it's the warm season. Also, I'm sure your fingers will shrink as you continue to lose, because mine did. My wedding ring/engagement ring were both a size 7 and I just had to get them sized down to a 6 1/4... but as I lose it seems I'll have to get them resized again. =/ Positive side effect of weight loss!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

I agree that you should wait. You don't want to have to get it resized too often -- it can impact the strength (or something, lol) of the ring.

ETA: And duh! Congratulations! That's awesome.

Last edited by Bac0s; 07-24-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #9  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

Congrats!!!! I wouldn't be able to wait, so I'd get it resized now. Since your band doesn't have diamonds in it, it should be just fine going bigger and wont affect the integrity. Once you lose weight, you can also look into getting a professional sizer inside the band so you don't have to go smaller. You may also change your mind once you start looking at wedding bands and want to get a new e-ring, so I say get some use out of it now

Your fingers may not change anyway. I'm a size 4.5-4.25 and have been, whether I"m a size 16 or size 6. Talk to your jeweler and see what they say!

Last edited by pinkflower; 07-24-2010 at 12:53 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Congrats!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Thank you all for the advice and the congratulations! I've decided not to resize the ring to make it smaller now since it sounds like it is likely I might need to resize it smaller later. I can actually wear the ring, and while tight, iwearing it is feeling more comfortable than it first did. I think my finger is getting used to this new metal corset I've thrust upon it.

Thank you so much again!

Now I get to think obsess over other things like wedding plans!

Last edited by Renwomin; 07-25-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote