3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Talking myself out of being discouraged (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/207671-talking-myself-out-being-discouraged.html)

goodforme 07-20-2010 01:26 PM

Talking myself out of being discouraged

I don't even know why!! I've lost 32 freaking pounds! That's not chump change, that's not two days of eating low sodium and watching water weight waving bye-bye, that's a major number. :carrot: But, I've taken so long getting here, and have so much longer until the end, which doesn't seem like it's in sight just now. :?:

Went to Goodwill last weekend, in search of smaller jeans. Apparently everyone in my town donated their size 16's, and while I was happy to take them at 50 cents each pair, I was really looking for 14's to see how much farther I have to go. There were 2 pair of 14's and they looked like remnants of my childhood, acid washed, pegged ankles, high waisted, baggy thighs. I tried them on and laughed myself silly, made my dd laugh too. Not only were they miles too short, the two sides of the waistband were so far apart I couldn't even gauge how many inches. (These were the 14's of yesteryear, not today.) By the way, those 16's? Really amazing on my rear. . .

Went for a walk OUTSIDE last night, didn't even die. There was no moaning and groaning about how far away the house was, there was even an inkling that I'd like to go a little further tonight. I was sweating and red faced, though not panting and hyperventilating like I did the first few times. Progress. . .

And by far the biggest win for me, the dreaded vending machine at work. I haven't seen the inside of the break room for over a month, I don't know what's stocked in that machine and I don't care. I have failed to plan (packing and remembering to bring lunch every day) a few times, but didn't resort to fast food or junk food.

So, my plan is working, and I knew it was going to be a slow and steady life change, baby steps if you will. So why am I in such a big hurry now? Sorry for the ramble.:o

EveLHaelf 07-20-2010 01:35 PM

First of all, CONGRATS on your success so far! And here's a :hug: sounds like you need one right now.

I'm sure a lot of us can absolutely relate to you on this one. I know I can. Some days looking at my ticker and seeing how far I've come is great inspiration and other days i see how much farther Ihave to go and am overwhelmed. I am a very impatient person and what worked for me was just focusing on one day at a time. Putting my brain on auto pilot if you will and just putting one foot in front of the other. Eating healthy day in and day out, getting my workouts in without fail just living moment to moment. It's not fail-proof I still had days where I couldn't turn off my brain but just hang in there! I'm planning a trip to plato's closet this week to look for some jeans and skirts. Hopefully I can find something.

Just hang in there and keep doing an awesome job. You will get there. You can do this.

ninepaw 07-20-2010 01:38 PM

Ramble on! This time around I've found that if I just get out what I'm feeling somewhere, anywhere... I get my mind back in the game pretty darn quickly afterwords! Sometime's it's just good to get things off your chest. :)

I've lost just under 30 pounds... 29 as of this morning, actually, and I do know what you're talking about. Even though we've made excellent progress, even though we know it takes time... Instant gratification will always be something we yearn for from time to time. for me, I know that's part of how I got as big as I did - Sure, I could have started working on this sooner... But to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted was what I wanted more. I could have my cake and eat it too - Literally! I was more interested in the instant gratification of bad things than the work and dedication required to drop pounds.

Obviously I've switched tracks in my mind at this point, but I still yearn for instant gratification at times. I want to get to my goal weight RIGHT NOW, I want to see my next mini goal, the next pant size, the next... Whatever, I want it now!!! But most of the time these days I just have to remind myself that I didn't reach this point of nearly 30 pounds lost overnight, so I'm not going to lose the next 30 overnight, or the next. It takes time.

I think going out for that walk was great, because it shows you progress that can't be measured in numbers... It's a feeling. You can walk more now than you could before, and you feel better doing it! That's awesome! Think about things like that when you get discouraged. :) I think it might do wonders!

Philigirl 07-20-2010 01:42 PM

Sometimes a rant is necessary. You are doing well, keep believing in yourself and working hard.

goodforme 07-20-2010 04:45 PM

Thanks Chicks! It did help to get it out and move on!