Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #1  

Default Question about toning legs.

I've had "chubby" calves for as long as I can remember, but they don't feel fatty? As I continue to lose weight, do you think they will tone and not be so big? I am mostly concerned about cankles. When I tense them, they feel mostly muscle, but when I'm in the tub shaving, and just have it set up on the edge of the railing, it seems fatty. It's all very confusing. But do you think they will tone and not be so ugly?
Snail Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #2  
over and over again

S/C/G: 336.1/328.7/160

Height: 5'6

Thank u for posting this because I want to know the answer too.lol. My calves feel muscular too but then also fatty.
sarcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/263/165

Height: 5'9

Hey girls...I have teh SAME problem as you! So I have asked a trainer about it... and the answer kinda sucks. Keep in mind everyone is different... but think of the biggest loser when the super heavy girls lose a lot of weight, they're calves still seem big...right? Well I was paranoid this was going to be me, because mine are beastly in comparison to my overall leg size.

Anyways... you've been carrying a lot of weight around for a long time... so they HAVE built up a lot of muscle...and most likely will stay on the bigger side.

But don't get discouraged from trying to tone them up more!
ALEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #4  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I have that problem too. My calves were almost 18 inches when I was 222 pounds. I bet they were even bigger at my higher weight but I didn't measure. I have noticed that my calves have shrunk about two inches after a 60 pound loss. They still seem big though. I also read that it is because they are used to carrying around so much weight. I think that toning a muscle will make it strong and slim, not big and bulky so you shouldn't worry too much about making them any bigger. I do a lot of exercising on my elliptical trainer on high intensity as well as bike riding. I think these exercises have slimmed my calves down. There is hope for us yet
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Aleks, I fear you are right. I have some pretty massive calves. My knees are shaping up nicely...in that I can see them again!! LOL! There is a now a definite KNEE there instead of just a button between the shin and the thigh. Oy. My thighs are starting to take shape. But having lost now nearly 65 pounds, I have lost only two inches off my calves and they are firm.

For exercise I spin three days a week, run three days a week, walk 4-5 miles nearly nightly and recently took up long distance cycling. If that doesn't "tone up" the old legs, nothing will.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #6  

They wouldn't look too bad if I toned up my ankle region. Cankles, sigh.
Snail Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #7  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Ohh noossss Ugghh I have the same problem lady's. I hate that too because I know people who weigh more than I did at my heaviest and have wonderful legs. Sigh.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/263/165

Height: 5'9

Eliana, I wondered about it for quite awhile... when a trainer was finally able to give me perspective on it...it totally made sense...it's really a bummer... but, what can you do...? Power through it, because the changes you ARE making and HAVE made make it all worth it.
ALEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #9  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Running and strength training. I've been doing both and I have to say my legs are looking pretty fantastic! My upper thighs could use some more work but other than that I'm pretty proud.

I'm running 4xs a week and strength training 2xs. I do lunges, squats and deadlifts.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #10  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

things that i have found that help tone and slim the legs are walking (outdoors or on an incline on the treadmill), jogging, and weight lifting. yoga is also good for strengthening the ankles (all the balance poses) and may have a slimming effect there. doing calf raises can give a nice shape as well. good luck!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I know how to bulk up the calves...it's the slimming down part I have problems with. I've had strong calves ever since marching band. Any other former marchers out there?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #12  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

you guys, if you have a lot of mass on your calves-- from carrying around extra weigt for a long time, which is absolutely the reason for it--- doing exercises that focus on the calves (running/cycling, etc) are only going to make them bigger! Think about it...you are stimulating the muscle more...what happens when muscleas are stmulated? they GROW, and get STRONGER.
All that said, if you still have a lot of fat over the claves, then they might get smaller as you lose the fat, but the only way you are going to get the muscle in the calf to *shrink* is to let it atrophy.... easier said than done, considering you USE your calves for everything! To be honest, youd need to get a wheelchair and wheel yourself around for 6 months and not use your calf muscles to get them smaller. But yo definitely dont want to focus your workouts on them (once again, easier said than done...)
FWIW, i think calf muscles are AWESOME and they are one of my best features...

Oh, another thought, yo could try focusing on increasing the muscle mass in your UPPER legs, to help visually balance out the calves...this is probably easier than *shrinking* the calf!

It is a very distinct possibility though, especially if you guys have lots of fat left to lose, that they will *appear* smaller once the layer of fat over them is gone

mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote