Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

Height: 5'6"

Question Still going for Plus-Size, even tho I'm not anymore!!!

OK, so I've lost around 60lbs and have gone from an 18/20W & XL/XXL down to a size 12 & L/XL. However, when I'm shopping, be it in an actual store or online or in a magazine, my mind still takes me to the plus sizes! For example, just last night I was flipping through Glamour Magazine and they had an article about the right jeans for your body type (apple, pear, hour glass, plus size, short waisted, etc), and as you can guess, I immediately started reading the tips for Plus Size. Then I realized, I'M NOT PLUS SIZE ANYMORE!! To further complicate the situation, I then couldn't figure out which type I was!! (But that's besides the point!! haha)

So, I'm curious...for those of you chickies who've lost a significant amount of weight and have left the plus size world, how long did it take your mind to accept that you're no longer plus size?? That you can actually shop in the Misses department or even the Juniors department?? Will it come with time? Or is there some kind of therapy I should be doing???
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #2  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I completely understand. I am in almost the exact same situation as you. I have also recently lost 60 pounds and I am a size 10-12 now. I always gravitate to the cute plus size shirts then I realize that everything is too big. I catch myself looking in a sears catalog to see if that item comes in "image" sizes. Now when I shop, I make myself bypass the plus size section like it doesn't even exist. Do you also find that you feel like the biggest woman in the place and feel like everyone sees you as an obese person? I still do that too. I am sure our minds will wrap around our new bodies soon, I hope LOL
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for your response sweetnlow! See, the funny thing is, when I was at my highest, I really didn't FEEL that big...weird, I know! And I had the attitude that if you didn't like what you saw, then don't look at me! haha I was self-conscience, but never let it worry me. BUUUT NOW, I do think about it! I worry what I look like and if my clothes fit right or if my clothes are making me look bigger! It's weird...I worry more now than when I was 60lbs heavier!! So yeah, I know how ya feel! I'm hoping too that our minds will catch up sooner or later (hopefully sooner!) I thought losing slowly will allow my mind to keep up, but I'm finding out that's not the case!
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I'm just barely getting there. I don't remember when I "officially" left plus sizes, but I'm an 8/10 now and a M top sometimes petite. I still have to remember to try on an 8 because often times they fit me better than the 10s and I'll instinctively still grab a large, but look at the XL and often the larges are WAY too big on me. I actually just pretty much replaced my entire wardrobe between today and last weekend and it is SO nice and motivating to have clothes in my closet that fit me. I'm hoping the pieces I got today I'll actually get to keep and they won't be to big for me in a few months. Although I'm pretty much at my goal, I just started strength training seriously a few weeks ago and I'm already seeing some tremendous results, I wounldn't be shocked if I went down another size, but for the sake of my wallet I'm kinda hoping I don't. I like being an 8/10, it's a humble size

Last edited by ncuneo; 07-17-2010 at 09:35 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #5  
Graceful Loser

I'm personally in the very awkward stage of "still fat.. err, in some places" because my shoulders are thin, my legs have thinned out, but my stomach and back are still fat. (Such a pear!) It is a part of losing weight, being in that in-between phase where .. well, nothing fits even if it fits. So for me, sizes are a PAIN. I hate shopping for new clothes and it's a rarity that I do so. I recently purchased three shirts and two pairs of pants, and with God as my witness, they will be all I have (besides my old fat clothes) until they no longer look nice.

So for those reasons I really don't pay enough attention to what size I am. My mind trip about how far I've come happens in much different way. I've always had thick legs but as I've started running, I've noticed they have dramatically thinned out. When I'm watching TV, with my feet propped up, I'll glance down at them and it's hard to realize those are my legs! I also have this terrible habit of comparing myself next to people. I am no longer as fat as this person or now I'm the same size as so and so, and that just makes me take a moment, you know?

So I guess I have similar thoughts under different circumstances!
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #6  
Graceful Loser

Oh, just for reference, I used to be a 26 in pants and a 2xl/3xl in shirts, now I'm securely an 18 in pants and an extra large in most shirts.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm still at the overwhelmed stage when it comes to shopping. I know I don't belong in the plus section any more but feel like people are judging me in the normal section. And the selection is enormous!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #8  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I'm still at the overwhelmed stage when it comes to shopping. I know I don't belong in the plus section any more but feel like people are judging me in the normal section. And the selection is enormous!
Oh, I get that too LOL. Just the other day I was at the mall and I decided to browse a store that didn't sell anything plus sized. In the past I would have avoided that store at all costs. Most of the clothes would fit me now but I really felt out of place like everyone was wondering why a fat woman was shopping in a skinny woman's store

Quote:
See, the funny thing is, when I was at my highest, I really didn't FEEL that big...weird, I know! And I had the attitude that if you didn't like what you saw, then don't look at me! haha I was self-conscience, but never let it worry me. BUUUT NOW, I do think about it! I worry what I look like and if my clothes fit right or if my clothes are making me look bigger! It's weird...I worry more now than when I was 60lbs heavier!!
Oh my gosh...me too. I used to be a little self conscious but not as "self aware" I really didn't think I was as big as I was. I was kind of in denial. I wore trendy clothes without shame. I do worry more now about how my arms look in a strappy shirt than I did when they were very large. I think, for me, I know people actually notice me more where I used to feel invisible I guess. I surprise myself how I am becoming even so slightly vain like having to wear makeup just to grocery shop

Last edited by sweetnlow28; 07-18-2010 at 11:28 AM.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Reading all these posts make me jealous! LOL I can't wait until I can shop in the "normal" size clothing. It just seems like they don't have cute clothes in the plus size section.
smj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

I agree that the selection is HUGE in the "normal" section. I love being able to shop there, don't get me wrong. But I will also admit to undergoing some grieving when I realized that I no longer belonged in Lane Bryant. I used to get a lot of cute things in there, particulary sweaters and tops. Because the closest stores are 2 hours away in the Seattle area, I would make a day of it......run over to Lane Bryant, shop, and of course buy some Mrs. Fields cookies to munch on the way home. (I didn't make the connection at the time!)

The last time I went in, I realized that I looked out of place there. My beloved sweaters and tops were all too big. The disappointment went away when I was able to try clothes on at Banana Republic and Gap, though!

And about feeling judged in the "normal" section.....I guess I haven't really felt that way. Look around at the other shoppers in that section, next time you go. Yes, you will see some tiny slips of girls there, but you will also see some ladies who look just like us, and who are looking for a 12-14-16 pair of jeans. I really would be suprised if anyone was paying you any attention at all. So shop away!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #11  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

This happened to me and it lasted several months! Because I had been morbidly obese for 20 years the plus sized section was all I really knew. The regular sized part of the store felt overwhelming and I didn't feel like I really belonged there.

Be patient with yourself Krista; it just takes a bit of time for some of us! Once you adjust and start shopping in the regular sections or stores you are going to love it.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/181/145

Height: 5'3"

I am just shaped awkward and carry most of my weight below my waist. It has been frustrating because I have lost weight on top and can wear a smaller size. But in pants I am still wearing the same size..they are much looser, but can't comfortable fit in to the size below.
ducktape54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: (HW 247) 241/215/199

Height: 5'- 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM322 View Post
I worry what I look like and if my clothes fit right or if my clothes are making me look bigger! It's weird...I worry more now than when I was 60lbs heavier!!
Krista: I've been meaning to make a whole big post about this! I have been going back and for with myself on this topic! I was pretty content where I was 60 pounds ago. The only times I was really bothered was at picture time and if I had to shop for a specific event. Otherwise I was pretty happy just going along, eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. BUT I know I was "settling." I ached and had little energy. Now that I'm nearly to my (original) goal (I think I'll go 10 more pounds), I am having a harder time sticking on plan. But get to goal I will because I'm determined! When the days are hard, I think, "If someone would have told size 20W me, 6 months ago, that I could magically be a size 12 (which I am now - aiming for size 10) I would have been BEYOND thrilled. But now that I'm size 12, I am much more concerned with how that bit pooches out, or that bit jiggles, or those bits sag.

Anyhow, I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Just wanted to chime in on that portion.

Now, on the Plus Size thing. I've found myself looking at ads online that pop up for Plus sized stuff and for a second think about clicking it before I remember that I can't wear that anymore! I finally called Lane Bryant and Woman Within and told them to stop sending me catalogs because I was too small now! The one frustrating thing I'm finding is when I'm shopping I'll see something super cute only to realize it's plus sized and I can't wear it anymore. BUT when I WAS plus sized, I could rarely find cute things! When I shop at Cato or Dress Barn (where 1/2 the store is plus and the other is "regular") I felt like an alien going to "the other side" at first. For a while, I'd always tell the check-out lady that I was "new" to the regular sizes. I think I wanted to do that for two reasons, one because I was proud of myself and two, because I almost felt unworthy, like she was thinking to herself, "there's no way that lady can wear size 16 with no W."

Ok, sorry for writing a book!

Last edited by susieyarb; 07-18-2010 at 03:21 PM.
susieyarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: (HW 247) 241/215/199

Height: 5'- 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoco350 View Post
I also have this terrible habit of comparing myself next to people. I am no longer as fat as this person or now I'm the same size as so and so, and that just makes me take a moment, you know?
Molly: I'm finding that I'm "shocked" to find that people I've always thought of as way thinner than me or normal sized are all of a sudden looking chubby. This morning at church, one of my friends who I haven't seen in over a month came walking up to me and I thought she looked chubby, but I had to wrap my mind around the fact that she was the same - it's me who is different! But when I see myself, I don't see that big of a change! Another lady I saw this morning I thought, "whoa, she's gained weight, but I don't think so, I think she's probably pretty much the same." I'm not thinking these things really judgementally, more observationally. My mind is just in a weird place.
susieyarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #15  
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieyarb View Post
Krista:
When I shop at Cato or Dress Barn (where 1/2 the store is plus and the other is "regular") I felt like an alien going to "the other side" at first.
Speaking of Dress Barn reminds me of the jolt I got when I went to my usual Dress Barn in the Denver area some years back and found that it wasn't for me any more. A very kind store manager asked if I was shopping for myself, and when I said I was, she pointed out that it was for plus sized people, and since I not a plus sized person, I should shop in their other store across the street. I had lost about 50 lbs. at that point in my weight-loss journey. That was the first time it actually hit me that I had changed so much. It was a startling feeling, and yet it was a good feeling.

So I went across the street and had a wonderful time.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote