Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
<<Well with obesity soaring what you shouldn't find surprising is people finding it hard to not overeat.>>

I did NOT say this! I understand the compulsion to overeat all too well and find it a continual challenge not to overeat -- not because I'm always hungry, but because I love food. What I said was: "I still find it difficult to believe that some people have trouble losing weight despite eating very little." Not despite TRYING to eat very little, but despite ACTUALLY eating very little.

F.
It's not safe around here anymore to have opposing views to the carb police.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #47  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

I've always been a little chubby, started when I was a child. I will never think of me as a thin person, I'm just not built that way, and I'm fine with that, I don't want to be thin. Just thinner.

Also want to add I don't buy into the reason you are not losing is that your body is in "starvation" mode. If that were the case there would be no such thing as girls dying from anorexia, or people in third world countries with no food who literally die of starvation
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:06 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 342/342/130

Height: 5'2"

Exclamation I REALLY Feel like a Skinny Woman Trapped In a Fat Jail Cell Known as My Body

I'm new to this whole thing, and this particular post is what made me sign up. I have ALWAYS been big, for as far back as I remember. I cannot ever remember being small, but was always active. Camping, being at Camp, baseball and softball, horseback riding, swimming and swim team, hiking, playing OUTSIDE (I know, kids these days don't seem to do that...weird), and just riding bikes and what not. I am TRYING my hardest to lose weight...started at the gym and GAINED weight. I thought to myself, what in the world is going on. I literally FEEL like I am a skinny person trapped in this fat body of mine. I truly feel this! Anyone who thinks that this is just a "cop-out" really has NEVER been in my shoes, and if I could share how I feel with others, then what I wrote wouldn't seem so foreign or weird. I'm adventurous, I love being outside, I love photography, and I really love doing things that skinny people can only do. I love White Water Rafting, Horseback Riding, High Ropes Courses, and Roller Coasters. I want to Zipline and enjoy taking pictures with my friends when we do stuff. I WANT to SAFELY ride horses again! So this feeling of being trapped in a fat jail cell with the same feeling of not being able to get out is VERY real to me. I read a post and was not happy with someone's response to this thread. I wish I felt like someone else felt just like I do.
untamable_mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #49  
Mandy

S/C/G: 153/153/120

Height: 5'5'' or 165cm

I used to think that way, until I realized that my habits were not that of a thin person at all. I ate a lot, had junk food on a fairly regular basis, had little to no vegetables and salad, ate for pleasure instead of nutrition, didn't exercise. So I guess that's a thought that's kinda worn off for me, really.
wendybirdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:02 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamable_mare View Post
I'm new to this whole thing, and this particular post is what made me sign up. I have ALWAYS been big, for as far back as I remember. I cannot ever remember being small, but was always active. Camping, being at Camp, baseball and softball, horseback riding, swimming and swim team, hiking, playing OUTSIDE (I know, kids these days don't seem to do that...weird), and just riding bikes and what not. I am TRYING my hardest to lose weight...started at the gym and GAINED weight. I thought to myself, what in the world is going on. I literally FEEL like I am a skinny person trapped in this fat body of mine. I truly feel this! Anyone who thinks that this is just a "cop-out" really has NEVER been in my shoes, and if I could share how I feel with others, then what I wrote wouldn't seem so foreign or weird. I'm adventurous, I love being outside, I love photography, and I really love doing things that skinny people can only do. I love White Water Rafting, Horseback Riding, High Ropes Courses, and Roller Coasters. I want to Zipline and enjoy taking pictures with my friends when we do stuff. I WANT to SAFELY ride horses again! So this feeling of being trapped in a fat jail cell with the same feeling of not being able to get out is VERY real to me. I read a post and was not happy with someone's response to this thread. I wish I felt like someone else felt just like I do.
I think we will all believe you without the bolding. (It's harder to read.)

It's an old thread, so I wouldn't get too worked up over it. Everyone has their own way of doing things. Those who make a point of passing judgement on others are generally just insecure. Announcing to the world that they're better or smarter is their way of trying to convince themselves. Remember that before taking it to heart.

Most people here are very supportive. If you discuss your issues without getting upset, you'll find others in the same boat.

Things that work for you or are problems for you can change front time to time as you go, too, so it's always helpful to read other people's opinions or struggles. Even if it's not your thing now, who knows - it may be later.

I've never felt like a thin person trapped in a fat body, but I have felt like a big, fat, worthless blob. And now that I see a healthy, thin person coming, I'm having some trouble adjusting to it. Being able to have arms that swing free when I walk makes walking different.

In some respects, it's probably good that weight loss is slow. It gives us time to adjust. Given the choice between easy adjustment and having all the fat gone tomorrow, I'd take the latter! But there are Plusses to the minuses, too.

Welcome to the boards. Hope to hear more from you!

Last edited by Stripes 237; 05-29-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:30 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 165/157/145

Height: 5'6"

I kind of feel the opposite way, I should be a lot bigger than I am even though I always fantasized about being skinny. I think if I ever do get down to my goal weight I will still feel and act like I'm overweight. I think it has to do with me having been fatter as a kid, it shaped me mentally. I still feel like a shy, unlovable "Ms. Piggy" (one of the few things I remember being called in elementary school). Hopefully it won't be this way forever.
TropicalKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #52  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
I've always been a little chubby, started when I was a child. I will never think of me as a thin person, I'm just not built that way, and I'm fine with that, I don't want to be thin. Just thinner.

Also want to add I don't buy into the reason you are not losing is that your body is in "starvation" mode. If that were the case there would be no such thing as girls dying from anorexia, or people in third world countries with no food who literally die of starvation
Starvation mode doesn't mean you won't lose weight on zero calories or die of starvation, it just means that in metabolisms can slow enough for it to take quite a long while to do it.

Starvation mode (metabilic compensation is a better term) accounts for why someone who is of average or even overweight who has never dieted or faced hunger can actually "starve to death" quicker than an underweight anorexic or famine victim on the same number of calories.

The more times you face a natural or self-created famine (diet), the more your body will find ways to conserve energy (burn fewer calories).

If metabolic compensation (aka starvation mode) didn't exist, neither would anorexic living for years (rather than dying in months) on fewer than 500 calories a day. Also, it wouldn't be possible (let alone common) to gain back more than you lost after dieting when you returned to your old eating habits.

Without metabolic slowing, when a person went back to their old habits and calorie level, they'd go back to your old weight, not theirr old weight plus a few extra pounds, as is so common.

Some people do NOT gain extra (which is where the theory of set point came from), but some do.

The research seems to indicate that metabolic compensation is a real phenomenon, but that it the rate and degree is quite variable and possibly genetic. Some people starve to death quite rapidly on fewer than 1000 daily calories, and others may take decades to do so on fewer than 500.

Starvation mode doesn't make starvation impossible, it simply can (but doesn't necessarily) slow down the process. Whether and to what degree (and how exactly) a person's body can compensate for calorie restriction is variable and depends on prior experience with calorie shortages and possibly genetic factors.

Some phenomena than indicate and support the existence of metabolic compensation (and the processes responsible)

fatigue and increases sleepiness caused by calorie restriction. Crash dieters, famine victims and anorexics tend to have less energy and sleep much more than those eating more calories. With severe calorie restriction, the differences can be very extreme. A severely calorie-restricted person might sleep (actual sleep, not just lying in bed, being lazy) 14 hours per day or even more.

Lanugo (the downy "fur" anorexics can get) which helps reduce the number of calories needed to maintain body temperature

Reduced body temperature (like many chronic dieters, my "normal" body temperature has declined over the years. At it's lowest (after about 30 years of dieting) my normal hovered around 97 degrees, sometimes lower). Now, about 15 years after giving up crash dieting, my normal has gradually increased to about 97.8.

Reduced immunity. Research suggests that even moderate calorie restriction can compromise the immune system (decreasing the body's resistance to illness). The research in this area makes me wonder if my decades of crash dieting is responsible for my history of immune dysfunction (autoimmune disease and susceptibility to infection). At my crash dieting peak, I was extremely prone to bacterial and viral infection. My immune function has improved significantly after giving up crash dieting. It may be no coincidence that my immune problems resurfaced after trying more drastic dieting for my sister's wedding last summer.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-30-2015 at 10:02 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:14 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 272/241/150

Height: 5 foot 5.5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamable_mare View Post

I am in tears right now for I feel the exact same way. I grew up overweight and by my teenage years became obese.

For the first time in my adult life, I am the smallest I've ever been since probably the 5th grade. And I think I hate myself more now than I ever did when I was bigger. Everyday seems more painful because I am not that thin girl I always see in my head. And it seems like its never going to happen for me because I've spent over five years trying to get under 200. And thats nowhere near thin for my height.

I should be 125lbs by now but instead I am still at 215. Its so frustrating when all ever do is work out and count calories. It gets so overwhelming sometimes esp when you have friends who are thin and dont do **** to maintain it.

I know your pain. I am with you. You are definitely not alone.

Last edited by city_southernbelle; 11-20-2015 at 03:17 AM.
city_southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote