Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Angry I just realized how much I HATE SCALES!!

Cheap ones, fancy ones, electronic ones, classic ones with the needles.... i HATE them.

They all say something different. Like if I stand in the center but up a little bit, or back a little, or distribute my weight a little bit, it will change like 2 pounds. It's like I can never know what my true weight is!

Does anyone else have this problem? It always says something different depending how I stand.
neveragainbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

This is why I only count my scale at home- other scales are always going to be slightly off- and if you weigh yourself with nothing on that's going to add a pound or two if you then go weigh at the doctor's office.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #3  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

I only weigh on my home scale also, but tomorrow I'm gonna try standing in different positions and see what it says. I always step on the same way and stand in the same spot, I also make sure the scale is in the same spot. I know anal huh Have a great day, I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm curious now.

Don't find yourself giving up and driving thru for fast food! Panda Express & McDonalds are not burning down anytime soon! You can have it, just not NOW. <--- love this BTW

Last edited by love2b150; 07-15-2010 at 12:11 PM.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Weigh on the same scale at the same time of the day, wearing the same clothing, under the same circumstances. For me that means - in the morning, about two hours after waking up, after going to the bathroom, without clothing.

Is it my *true* weight? At the time it is, according to that particular scale. My absolute true weight is not vital though. I'm looking for a trend and my method allows that.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

You want to really have fun with your scales? Move them around! I can gain or lose 2 to 3 pounds depending on which floor tile I put mine on. Two feet to the left, up 3 pounds. Three feet to the right and up one foot, down 2 pounds. I finally found the *BEST* spot to put it, and make sure to put it there every time I step on it. (When I'm not stepping on it, it's up in the top of my closet to reduce my 2 year old's temptation to jump up and down on it!) As amazing as it is, it's not rocket science, and I'm not going to get some grand epiphany standing on my scale (although I am waiting for the male dancers and confetti falling from the ceiling ) but I am looking for a gradual downward trend, fluctuations bedamned. . .
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It doesn't matter what your "true weight" is. The number will always vary!

You deal with it by choosing a time at which you will weigh, conditions (such as after peeing, without clothes) and a place where the scale will sit, and then you always weigh at that time, ONCE. You step on, read it, and step off. No swaying around, no getting off and getting on again!

Record that number. You'll still see the numbers going up and down from day to day, but the TREND you see over time will be what's important, such as from one month to the next.

Doing it any other way is just a sure way to go mental.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #7  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

I weigh on a digital scale every morning in my nightie while I'm waiting on my coffee. I step on it to clear to 0.00, then carefully and slowly step onto it on my tile floor for my weigh-in. I find that it is very accurate to the .2 of a pound and it is great to see those tiny increments add up to a loss on my Monday "official" weigh-in. Of course, those tiny increments sometimes go up instead of down, but I never let it rattle me. It could easily be water or sodium or even a bad menu choice, so I just keep on keeping on.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 311/239/154

Height: 5'8"

YES! We have an ancient digital scale that was here when we moved in 15 years ago. I need to weigh myself several times to get a common result. It's been acting up even more lately, and this week gave my results as anywhere between 18st0 and 15st13, I finally gave up (I was 17st3 last week). Got a new cheap set today, tried them this evening in clothes and shoes and such and it was 19st3. I can understand a bit of a different but 2 stone?! I'm seriously considering ignoring scales for a few months but I doubt I could do it because I like the motivation of seeing numbers going down .
Zing is offline   Reply With Quote