Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #16  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Okay I am going back to my original plan to just weigh in once a week as this daily weigh in is not good for my psych, had a 1.2 lb weight gain over night and I was under my calorie intake yesterday. If I had broken down and went to McDonalds then there would be a reason but there should not be a 1.2 gain overnight not this early in the game
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oy. I'm sorry to hear you're having such fluctuations, but again, they are normal.

If you've answered this somewhere and I've missed it or forgot it, I apologize and of course you don't have to answer it.

What plan is it that you're following? What calorie level, what foods....

And of course even staying on the very best plan (whatever in the world that might be) could produce these swings.

I know you mentioned that your exercise won't begin for another 3 weeks or so, gym membership, but what about just doing some stuff on your own - walking or heck, pop the radio on and dance your fool head off for 25 minutes or so? Do you have any old exercise DVD's laying around?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #18  
Defying Gravity

I am not following any particular plan due to abuse when I was younger with weight loss and weight loss plans... I am eating healthy, more fruits and veggies, my calorie intake is 1321 for a day. While I sit on my butt for my day job when I leave work I deliver food for meals on wheels to 6 families a night which means a lot of walking back and forth. My gym membership can't start until August 1st because I don't have the money this month ( still paying for a trip to New Orleans in June).

Hmm wonder if I have any Jane Fonda VHS tapes (if anybody says what's a VHS tape, I will scream)

It's all good, I know from what you all say that it's normal, as long as the scale says 167 tomorrow morning I will be a happy camper.

I had a late snack last night (8p,which I try not to do) of an apple & light apple dip (which has the HFCS in it) so I think that might have been the culprit. I need to throw the other two 2oz containers away because that stuff has no redeeming nutrional value at all (but it tastes so yummy)

The only thing I go over on the daily calorie/nutrition chart log is sugars and I think the OJ i drink in the morning is the reason sugars go into the red at the end of the day

OK I am now guilty of rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Oy. I'm sorry to hear you're having such fluctuations, but again, they are normal.

If you've answered this somewhere and I've missed it or forgot it, I apologize and of course you don't have to answer it.

What plan is it that you're following? What calorie level, what foods....

And of course even staying on the very best plan (whatever in the world that might be) could produce these swings.

I know you mentioned that your exercise won't begin for another 3 weeks or so, gym membership, but what about just doing some stuff on your own - walking or heck, pop the radio on and dance your fool head off for 25 minutes or so? Do you have any old exercise DVD's laying around?

Last edited by Losing It 2010; 07-11-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

As far as those late night snacks - it doesn't matter what time of day you eat your foods provided they are within your calorie budget. Overnight is plenty of time to digest your foods, so don't worry about having late night snacks.

When I asked you about your plan, I didn't necessarily mean a specific plan - I was indeed asking about your plan. Lots of us here (myself included) devised their own plans.

The OJ rings out to me though and the sugar. I would definitely cut the sugar out. Why not have a delicious, juicy orange instead of the juice? - much more filling, waaaay less calories and better nutrients.

You also mentioned that you're eating MORE fruits and veggies - but are you eating sufficient fruits and veggies, specifically the veggies?

If you're spending calories on OJ and other sugar based items and that you're coming out high on sugar - it would appear that perhaps you're not eating enough nutrient rich foods - fiber, fiber, fiber - protein, protein, protein.

Maybe your menu could use a bit of tweaking....
Old 07-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #20  
Defying Gravity

So this is what I ate yesterday and yeah I could stay away from the OJ and just eat an orange but I don't think it would satisfy that thirst I have first thing in the morning. I have to have OJ like most drink coffee when i get up in the morning. I am heading to the store after work today so I will buy oranges and give it a try, maybe I will head to the home store and buy a squeezer

Anyhow this is what i ate yesterday, help me tweak this (i know the apple dip stuff is gone)

Breakfast
Toast 2 slice(s)
Tropicana Pure Premium No Pulp 12 ounce(s)

Mid-Morning Snack
Raspberries 1 cup(s)
Watermelon 1.75 cup(s)
Activia Strawberry Yogurt 113 gram(s)
Egg Beaters White 4 tablespoon(s)

Lunch
Toufayan White Pita Bread 1 serving(s)
Athenos Greek Style Hummus 2 tablespoon(s)

Dinner
Chicken Breast 4 ounce(s)
Reese Water Chestnuts 110 gram(s)

Late Night Snack
Granny Smith Apple 1 whole
T Marzetti Fat Free Caramel Apple Dip 2 ounce(s)

Today's Budget 1,321
Today's Food 1,264

Quote:
As far as those late night snacks - it doesn't matter what time of day you eat your foods provided they are within your calorie budget. Overnight is plenty of time to digest your foods, so don't worry about having late night snacks.

When I asked you about your plan, I didn't necessarily mean a specific plan - I was indeed asking about your plan. Lots of us here (myself included) devised their own plans.

The OJ rings out to me though and the sugar. I would definitely cut the sugar out. Why not have a delicious, juicy orange instead of the juice? - much more filling, waaaay less calories and better nutrients.

You also mentioned that you're eating MORE fruits and veggies - but are you eating sufficient fruits and veggies, specifically the veggies?

If you're spending calories on OJ and other sugar based items and that you're coming out high on sugar - it would appear that perhaps you're not eating enough nutrient rich foods - fiber, fiber, fiber - protein, protein, protein.

Maybe your menu could use a bit of tweaking....
Old 07-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #21  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

One eight ounce cup of water weighs 0.5 pounds. Because of this you will see fluctuations. You need to stop worrying about fluctuations and look at the long term trend. What helps me is to weigh every day for the accountablity, but I focus on the 7 day average and my weightloss graph. I've set up a spreadsheet for myself to do this, but it's easy enough to graph your weight with a piece of graph paper and a pencil if you want to go "old school".
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #22  
Defying Gravity

okay well that might be the answer also as I increased my water intake yesterday, drank 24 ounces during the day and I think I finished it up late last night. I carry a bottle with me all day and just keep re-filling and drink on it until I go to bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
One eight ounce cup of water weighs 0.5 pounds. Because of this you will see fluctuations. You need to stop worrying about fluctuations and look at the long term trend. What helps me is to weigh every day for the accountablity, but I focus on the 7 day average and my weightloss graph. I've set up a spreadsheet for myself to do this, but it's easy enough to graph your weight with a piece of graph paper and a pencil if you want to go "old school".
Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

I don't mean to be rude here - but you don't really NEED the orange juice first thing in the morning. It's really not a great way to start out the day (or end if for that matter) You may think that you need it, but after a couple of weeks of refraining from it - I am fairly certain you won't even miss it. Try water. Or flavored water. Or herbal tea. I urge you to try and break this habit. And that's really all that it is - a habit. You'll see. Give it a shot! Push yourself. Grow.

Your breakfast - ummm, nothing too valuable there, I must say. And quite frankly, I don't know how you're not starving! I could never eat this. I need MUCH more filling power. You're lunch too. Dinner? Same thing. Where's your veggies, veggies, veggies?????

Think enormous salads, roasted string beans, roasted cauliflower and other veggies - brussel sprouts, zucchini, broccoli, butternut squash. Veggie soups. Chicken stir fries. Yummy chilis. Be creative here.

For optimal weight loss and overall health - each and every food/meal/snack you eat should be packed with fiber and/or protein.

Of course we are all different, but your menu *for me* is something I could never, ever stick with long term, or for that matter short term. I wouldn't make it through even one day. Seriously.

Scrounge around the internet for healthy food menus - breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks. There's an enormous world of healthy, delicious foods out there. Hey, if this shorty can revamp her menu, lose weight and fall in love with a healthy life style (I used to be the worlds' worst eater) any short can. Yes, I'm talking to you.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #24  
Defying Gravity

Yes you are so right I don't need the OJ and like soda which I was drinking alot of I can cut it out that out I can cut out the OJ (plus Tropicana is freaking expensive now) but for me baby steps is a neccessity because if I go to gung ho into this endeavor my brain snaps into another mode and I become obessed and my weight loss becomes unhealthy.

Actually I am not hungry with this menu, I change it up throughout the week, the day before veggies were on the menu, with a carrot and tomato mix, when I get home I need to make my WORLD FAMOUS cucumber and onion jars.

I appreciate you Ms. Shorty, I wonder if we are the shortest ones on the forums. I haven't seen anyone else under 5'1 in my searches and reads..lol

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude here - but you don't really NEED the orange juice first thing in the morning. It's really not a great way to start out the day (or end if for that matter) You may think that you need it, but after a couple of weeks of refraining from it - I am fairly certain you won't even miss it. Try water. Or flavored water. Or herbal tea. I urge you to try and break this habit. And that's really all that it is - a habit. You'll see. Give it a shot! Push yourself. Grow.

Your breakfast - ummm, nothing too valuable there, I must say. And quite frankly, I don't know how you're not starving! I could never eat this. I need MUCH more filling power. You're lunch too. Dinner? Same thing. Where's your veggies, veggies, veggies?????

Think enormous salads, roasted string beans, roasted cauliflower and other veggies - brussel sprouts, zucchini, broccoli, butternut squash. Veggie soups. Chicken stir fries. Yummy chilis. Be creative here.

For optimal weight loss and overall health - each and every food/meal/snack you eat should be packed with fiber and/or protein.

Of course we are all different, but your menu *for me* is something I could never, ever stick with long term, or for that matter short term. I wouldn't make it through even one day. Seriously.

Scrounge around the internet for healthy food menus - breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks. There's an enormous world of healthy, delicious foods out there. Hey, if this shorty can revamp her menu, lose weight and fall in love with a healthy life style (I used to be the worlds' worst eater) any short can. Yes, I'm talking to you.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #25  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
One eight ounce cup of water weighs 0.5 pounds.
The weight (volume) of the water that you're drinking does not cause fluctuations on a day to day basis. If you are weighing in the morning and then the afternoon and then the evening - you will see an increase in weight as the day progresses due to the volume of your drinks (and your food).

But if you are weighing in the mornings, the volume of that liquid is gone and is therefore not a factor.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

We posted again at the same time. I hope you'll read my above post.

And I will warn you - some tough love ahead - read at your own risk:

Never mind the hunger factor - you're food is just not working for you - dong double duty so to speak. You need LOTS more veggies than a carrot and tomato mix, I'm thinking. Digestion is a great calorie burner. And by eating the stuff that you're eating - well half the digesting is done already.
You're eating lots of carbs - and not the good ones, but the refined ones. This can definitely be a reason for you not seeing more progress.

Some people can lose well eating whatever calories - some can't.

Quote:
but for me baby steps is a neccessity because if I go to gung ho into this endeavor my brain snaps into another mode and I become obessed and my weight loss becomes unhealthy.
You also mentioned baby steps, well if that's the case - then you have to be happy with baby progress, ya know what I mean? It sounds to me as if you're pretty *obsessed* with those fluctuations already, and no weight loss is truly unhealthy - since that's what you're aiming for.

And yes, there ARE other shorties around here, some quite successful too!.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 07-11-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #27  
Defying Gravity

Oh yeah I read it and it makes sense. Hey you can't insult me or anything so don't worry about it, seriously I am here for a reason so unless someone gets abusive or derogratory towards me I am going to digest (no pun intended) everything people offer up

The only thing I would argue is some weight loss can be unhealthy and I use myself for an example and maybe it will be clearer why I am doing things the way I am doing them. 12 years ago I started the same weight loss regime and unfortunatly it got away from me and I became obessed. By the time all was said and done I was down to 500 calories a day, weighted 85lbs and was exercising 7 days a week. This is why I have to be slow and methodical with my healthier eating plan

Quote:
We posted again at the same time. I hope you'll read my above post.

And I will warn you - some tough love ahead - read at your own risk:

Never mind the hunger factor - you're food is just not working for you - dong double duty so to speak. You need LOTS more veggies than a carrot and tomato mix, I'm thinking. Digestion is a great calorie burner. And by eating the stuff that you're eating - well half the digesting is done already.
You're eating lots of carbs - and not the good ones, but the refined ones. This can definitely be a reason for you not seeing more progress.

Some people can lose well eating whatever calories - some can't.

You also mentioned baby steps, well if that's the case - then you have to be happy with baby progress, ya know what I mean? It sounds to me as if you're pretty *obsessed* with those fluctuations already, and no weight loss is truly unhealthy - since that's what you're aiming for.

And yes, there ARE other shorties around here, some quite successful too!.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #28  
3 + years maintaining

Oh absolutely - there IS such a thing as unhealthy weight loss - and yes, I'm sorry you went through this - but 500 calories a day just may qualify. I could understand your fears and trepidation, given the circumstances and your prior history.

I'll just mention this one more time, than let it go - it was you who seemed to be unhappy with your progress - and if it's progress you're after, than maybe *these particular* baby steps aren't the *right* ones.

Of course, not having a clue as to how you were eating prior to this, perhaps a *better* baby step would be - for two weeks I will eat a totally healthy breakfast. Or for 2 weeks I WILL get in 5 serving of veggies. Or for two weeks I will completely cut out white flour. Etc, etc...

Just a thought - would you consider seeing a nutritionist?

But of course only you can decide for yourself. All the best.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

i agree with robin, if you weigh on an up day, that will really kill the motivation. I also weight everyday, i laugh off the 1-3 lb difference, any more than that and I know something is up. as long as i am seeing a downward trend.

Meaning this: 181.8, 183.4, 180.4, 181.6, 179.8--these are my actual weights. you can still see a downward trend.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #30  
Defying Gravity

So what you are saying is focus on the downward trend in general, sounds like a plan to me, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendiet View Post
i agree with robin, if you weigh on an up day, that will really kill the motivation. I also weight everyday, i laugh off the 1-3 lb difference, any more than that and I know something is up. as long as i am seeing a downward trend.

Meaning this: 181.8, 183.4, 180.4, 181.6, 179.8--these are my actual weights. you can still see a downward trend.