Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #1  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Default What to eat when sick?

When you're getting over being sick (24 hour stomach flu) do you stick with your diet plan, or do you go off it for a bit while you get over being sick?

I'm on South Beach, and the only things I can think of to eat while getting over this are not completely SB legal. I don't feel up to all the protein today, and I guess I'm looking for some validation. I'm not planning on eating much anyway.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #2  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

haven't been sick in awhile but usually when I am sick I don't like to eat at all so if anything I am not consuming ENOUGH calories and usually have to force myself to eat soup or something light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
When you're getting over being sick (24 hour stomach flu) do you stick with your diet plan, or do you go off it for a bit while you get over being sick?

I'm on South Beach, and the only things I can think of to eat while getting over this are not completely SB legal. I don't feel up to all the protein today, and I guess I'm looking for some validation. I'm not planning on eating much anyway.
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #3  
futuremamachick

S/C/G: 280/210/150

Height: 5'6

Honestly, I have not been sick since I started. But, the thing that gets me feeling better when I am sick is toast with margarine. That is not something I would eat now, but if I was not feeling well I would. I would rather go off a little in order to get my self back on track more quickly. I think as long as you are mindful of what you are doing and knowing full well it is just a very temporary thing it is fine. JMHO. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
steph15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #4  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

when i am sick i sometimes like to eat chicken soup, but maybe a chicken soup from a restaurant that has fresher and more varied ingredients than cans. or could someone make a soup for you, and that way you could decide what goes in it, like chicken, avacado, tomato, etc, whatever it is that you want or need if you're trying to stay on a specific plan for yourself. having said that, if you're sick, you may just want to eat what your body needs to help it get well, even if it diverges from your plan for a day or two. feel better soon!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I do canned soup, white bread, and a little bit of ice cream or sherbet, and I'm just mindful of the calories.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Something to consider - your body is fighting back against something foreign, so usually when you are sick your metabolism is higher. This isn't justification for an all out binge, but, if you are getting over a stomach bug, I would tend to agree that you should eat what your stomach can handle. If you can't handle protein right now, and would feel better with just some toast, then that's what you should eat. A bland diet is good for stomach issues.

I tend to naturally lean towards a BRAT diet when I've got stomach issues. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. (well, usually not the rice). Bland, simple and something that tastes good in both directions.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #7  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I have low sodium chicken broth with some crackers when I'm not feeling well. I'd rather go off plan and feel a little better. I just had that 24 hr stomach flu and lost 5 pounds since I really wasn't eating. Better to have something, rather than nothing.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote