Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Question Thighs and arms- yikes!

I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before, and I'm sure millions of other people have before me. Aside from steadily losing weight, is there anything I can do for my arms and thighs? I do push ups and squats and lift weights to try to tone them a bit at least. But see this is what I'm talking about:

I don't know if pictures are allowed in this area, if not I'll take it down.

I put my bathing suit on today and was pleasantly surprised. I looked decent in it. Maybe an open back isn't the best option since I still have fat back there, but I didn't want to cry when I looked in the mirror at least. Also, I have quite a nice butt that I never noticed before!

I don't expect super thin thighs ever in my life, but I'm desperate to get rid of that second fold there. I seem to be significantly heavier on my right side for some reason, leg arm and "back fat that is near your braline" wise. Any ideas?

ETA: Wow I just noticed my legs are weird lol like an hour glass... weird!

Last edited by yhahmd; 07-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #2  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

What's the problem...you don't like the character it adds??? lolol Kidding...

When I first started losing...I had that too! Only thing that worked for me to get rid of it was tons of cardio...they got smaller & disappeared. Everything just pulled up & in. I figure it was from such a quick takeoff in loss & my skin couldn't catch up...only made sense in my mind. But it all adjusted eventually. Not sure how it works for everyone who gets it or had it...but that's just my experience with those.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i still have that fold.. but it's definitely gotten smaller from losing weight. running has really helped tone my legs too.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #4  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

I agree with everyone else. Just keep with exercises that concentrate on your legs like running, walking, squats and so on.

Though, I've gotta admit, I'm really envying your lower legs. I hope mine will slim down with more weight loss, but I'm kind of worried about them being large from genetics. :/
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I had to go check but yes, it goes. You're doing all the right things. It'll happen.

And those are perfectly healthy looking legs!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic View Post
I agree with everyone else. Just keep with exercises that concentrate on your legs like running, walking, squats and so on.

Though, I've gotta admit, I'm really envying your lower legs. I hope mine will slim down with more weight loss, but I'm kind of worried about them being large from genetics. :/
Thanks. I have noticed my calves look a lot nicer... but my thigh area still could use a lot of work. I think they're still at 24in. And I don't know if it's me or not, but that weird curve... It doesn't really look like fat, it just looks... strange lol. Oh well, I'm not super worried about it. I'm sure sooner or later your legs will start slimming down and look gorgeous

Last edited by yhahmd; 07-06-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #7  
Doing it right!

S/C/G: 160/140/115

Height: 5'2

your legs are really small!! like others said, if you keep up with the exercise, they should continue to shrink.
clion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Ah, yes, I am your sister in fretting over my upper thighs. (I have this thing where they're one size standing, but when I sit down, they spread to about double their size, like a puddle forming around my thigh bones.) So I'm still working on this issue.

As others have said, keep doing what you are doing. Massive amounts of leg-based cardio have really helped with mine, like the elliptical & spinning class & the stationary bike. On me, what I think would be the equivalent of your "first fold" eventually retracted upward & inward, to a sort of loose very wrinkly spot waaay up there. (Far too much TMI, I know. Sorry.) But it does go away. Because now when I stand with my legs parallel & knees turned straight forward, light actually shines between my two thighs. The sliver of light is narrow higher up ... but, damn it .... it's there. That is, they're not smooshed together tightly anymore.

Patience, grasshopper. Patience & cardio.

The thing I do that kills my inner thighs most (and thus I think may help them) is overhead leg circles in Pilates class. You may want to Google that one. You're laying on your back, leg extended straight up, toe pointed, drawing a very small circle in the air overhead. Very, very small. Your leg has to cross over your midsection a little for it to be most effective. ("Small circle out, big circle in, stop at the top," the instructor keeps intoning. Then we reverse from clockwise to counterclockwise, or vice versa.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by clion View Post
your legs are really small!! like others said, if you keep up with the exercise, they should continue to shrink.
Well I'm 4'9''... I have tiny legs to begin with. Unless you meant fat-wise, in which case, thanks lol
Old 07-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Ah, yes, I am your sister in fretting over my upper thighs. (I have this thing where they're one size standing, but when I sit down, they spread to about double their size, like a puddle forming around my thigh bones.) So I'm still working on this issue.

As others have said, keep doing what you are doing. Massive amounts of leg-based cardio have really helped with mine, like the elliptical & spinning class & the stationary bike. On me, what I think would be the equivalent of your "first fold" eventually retracted upward & inward, to a sort of loose very wrinkly spot waaay up there. (Far too much TMI, I know. Sorry.) But it does go away. Because now when I stand with my legs parallel & knees turned straight forward, light actually shines between my two thighs. The sliver of light is narrow higher up ... but, damn it .... it's there. That is, they're not smooshed together tightly anymore.

Patience, grasshopper. Patience & cardio.

The thing I do that kills my inner thighs most (and thus I think may help them) is overhead leg circles in Pilates class. You may want to Google that one. You're laying on your back, leg extended straight up, toe pointed, drawing a very small circle in the air overhead. Very, very small. Your leg has to cross over your midsection a little for it to be most effective. ("Small circle out, big circle in, stop at the top," the instructor keeps intoning. Then we reverse from clockwise to counterclockwise, or vice versa.)
On man, pilates totally kills me! I remember when I first found it, I thought to myself, "how is this doing anything? They're going to slow!" then I gave it a try and could hardly move the next day lol!

Great suggestion, I'll definitely try fitting it into my routine. I'd love to be able to wear shorts sometime soon. Thanks again everyone, glad to know I'm not the only one with this pesky problem and glad to hear they pretty much sort themselves out in time. I'll try to be patient
Old 07-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

Height: 5'7"

Have you tried specifically working out that area? In the fitness boot camp I do we do some inner thigh strengthening exercises that have really toned mine up.
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote