3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Rant.... In between clothing size oversight (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/206459-rant-between-clothing-size-oversight.html)

MissKelly 07-06-2010 01:23 PM

Rant.... In between clothing size oversight

2 weeks ago I went to Goodwill for size 16 jeans to get into ((& didn't try them on there because I was in a rush...needed to just get in & out)). These jeans have been the epicenter of my upset & mind screw recently. 18's are falling off me...severe diaper butt...I just swim in them....the kind of baggy that makes me look like I have a stomach because the fabric is so poofed out because I can't tie the waist any tighter than I do now. Then after 2 hours of wearing them...holy cow...just a sad look. You know what I mean...just bad. Ok...back to these jeans. When I got the 16's, I had to lay on the bed to zip them. Yesterday, I finally was able to zip them standing up just fine but they were still form fitting with no fat bulging over the top of them at the waist. OK...light bulb moment!!...I took them off & looked at the label...made with SPANDEX...they're stretchy skinny jeans ((Levis))!!! I pull the material a bit..yep...not durable like normal jeans in my closet...they stretch. Duhh Derrr...right?! :^:

OK...so if I am fitting in 16 skinny stretchy jeans fine...I'm obviously in a normal 16 already. I hope...if not...someone is going to be crying later!

I've only been to Old Navy once a long time ago..maybe 10 years ago...I see so many people talking about it here....I went to their website to see that they have a nice sale going on ...so today I'm going to go there to pick up a couple things. Obviously I don't want to spend a lot of money in 16's. I have TONS of clothes in 10-14's in my closet..so I only have this one last in between size to go through before I can tackle the stuff in my closet which is only 2-1/2 years old max...as long as I've been heavy..so the fashion sizing hasn't changed up. ((I tried on some new 14 shorts that I ordered that go on but I sure cant even get them near closing up to zipper))

So here Ive been stressed out having a psychotic meltdown wondering when in the heck Im going to fit in 16's....when all along Ive been a dork using stretchy skinny jeans as a tool....gosh I feel so derrrr!!!! I've been on such a downer lately feeling like 16's are so close but sooooo far away. Been busting my butt feeling like whatever I was doing wasnt good enough to get into them. A few days ago I just felt like throwing in the towel...even though I stayed on plan & continued my exercise that day...I just felt so hopeless & felt it was all for nothing. All cause I was a rushed space cadet at Goodwill...waiting for stretch jeans to start getting baggy..omg. :^:

Anyway...I needed this rant...I tend to bottle up a lot of my own frustrating experiences up about my loss...which only stresses me out 10x more than I need to & really shouldn't. I almost allowed flightiness & these stupid stretchy jeans to affect me so much to the point of wanting to give up. :dz:

roxmysox 07-06-2010 01:41 PM

haha space cadet! I have some stretchy-ish 18's that fit, and the "regular" 18's I can pull up and zip fine but give me an awful muffin top. It's frustrating to say the least.

I'm glad you got it out and it made you feel better. You can't quit, you just CAN'T!

dewdrop1970 07-06-2010 02:19 PM

I am in the same "size" predicament. The 18s are almost "too big" and then some 16s are too small. I shop at the Goodwill a lot and have noticed that there are many types of 16s. 16W, 16M, 16P, and so on and so on. Some fit, some don't. Some, I swear, have been put through a shrinking machine!

I bought a size 16 in some capri pants (Just My Size) @ Walmart and they fit a little loose on Saturday. Comfortable, I'd say. But the different size 16s make me crazy, too!

And then to find out that your 16s were "skinny" jeans. Ahhhhhhh~!:dizzy:

Shmead 07-06-2010 02:34 PM

It really, really sucks to be a 16 and a lot of people (myself included) find that the first trip to buy "normal" 16s is depressing: I am not sure why it is so rough, unless it is that we suddenly we quit comparing ourselves to our old shape and start comparing ourselves to "normal" people and suddenly we look WORSE.

Also, 16 seems to be the size that really varies the most.

I hope you have a great time shopping, but if it ends up being an emotionally draining experience, it's not you, it's normal!

susieyarb 07-06-2010 02:40 PM

I agree Shmead, 16 was a tough shopping time! 14's was glorious and now 12's are being a little tough too. Not as bad as 16, though.

I loved my size 16 Old navy jeans, they made me feel great and ready to take on the rest of my weight loss! I think they were a major turning point for me in knowing I could do it. But it came after a full day of shopping and much disappointment before I finally found them!

Hang in there! You're making it!

MissKelly 07-06-2010 03:13 PM

Rox: I won't quit. Well...I can't. See...financially I just can't afford to go up again...I bagged all of my baggiest 18's & 20+ clothing up & gave it all away to the Salvation Army already!! lol...Then I think back to how terrible & trapped I felt mentally & physically at 308 & I won't hurt myself like that a second time. I'm just now beginning to like myself again & letting go of the grumpiness & resent I had a few weeks back at myself in a post I created...and that anger & lack of tact dripped onto other people unsuspectingly cause I couldnt see past my own nose. It's a roller coaster road...can't wait for the twists to straighten out some. We'll get there.. eh Rox? lol...I keep telling you that....but I don't listen to my own advice..I think my advice stinks!! :lol:

Dewdrop: I hear ya! Happy to know that Im not the only one banging her head. Leaving for Old Navy in a bit to try on some stuff...so hopefully I'll come back with some news of success. I wish they just made one 14 or 16 or 18 or whatever size for all with only a petite & tall option. And skinny stretchies..pffffffttt!!!

Shmead: It seems like 16 is the size that takes the longest to get down into too. Such a huge gap from 18 to 16...what are these clothing designers thinking??? 18's were a snap to get down into for me...it's like I just woke up one day & picked them out of my closet and they fit. Since that one thread I created about how my lbs are not equaling my size...I've been concentrating a bit more now on size to size ((inches)) instead of letting the scale dictate how I feel about myself, per very good advice. :)

Susie: I'm sooo happy to hear that 16 is just the THEE evil size!! Holy cow...I thought it was just me & my efforts...whew!!...I feel like I can breathe a bit more now. By your mentioning Old Navy too lol...that must be THE place to go for 16. If I have no success...I'll be back for you all to smack my head around & tell me to chill the frick out. But!!...I'm going to remain positive for now.;)

Thank you all for your responses. Out the door now...be back in a little while to let you know the results!! :crossed:

roxmysox 07-06-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKelly (Post 3373572)
Rox: I won't quit. Well...I can't. See...financially I just can't afford to go up again...I bagged all of my baggiest 18's & 20+ clothing up & gave it all away to the Salvation Army already!! lol...Then I think back to how terrible & trapped I felt mentally & physically at 308 & I won't hurt myself like that a second time. I'm just now beginning to like myself again & letting go of the grumpiness & resent I had a few weeks back at myself in a post I created...and that anger & lack of tact dripped onto other people unsuspectingly cause I couldnt see past my own nose. It's a roller coaster road...can't wait for the twists to straighten out some. We'll get there.. eh Rox? lol...I keep telling you that....but I don't listen to my own advice..I think my advice stinks!! :lol:

We'll get there for sure! Even if one of us has to drag the other kicking and screaming across the finish line, we will get there together! Our stats are too close, and look how far we've come! I'm 7 inches shorter than you and I feel amazing after only 50 lbs! I know what you mean about starting to like yourself again. I've talked about my "wrist fat" in the daily thread before, I know. Today, I had to run to the bank this morning and while at a stop light a couple boys (well, 20-something men haha) were trying to flirt with me and get my attention. "Yup, it's because I have sexy wrists" bwhahaha That was literally the first thought that went through my head. I've been obsessed with my arms and wrists since I noticed that bump gone the other morning. I was also starting to get a crease on my forearm below the joint in my inner elbow that I noticed today while standing in the sun is completely gone. I know both of those things are probably insanely silly to someone who... well, isn't me, but it's totally working for me. Oh, and the fact that my a$$ looks amazing in those 18's- even if I look atrocious from the front from the belly muffin :p

sweetnlow28 07-06-2010 07:10 PM

I agree that 16 is a very awkward size. I was a 16 stretch petite for the couple years between my first stretch of weight loss and this recent stretch. It was **** trying to find a pair that fit just right. I have short legs and needed a short inseam too. Hang in there. I find that the 12-14 range is a little more "sane" ;)

MissKelly 07-06-2010 07:17 PM

Back from shopping. 3 trips to the dressing room at Old Navy...tried on all kinds of styles that didn't have spandex in them ....shorts, pants & capris....all but 2 fit!!! In tops I fit in XL & 1/2 of the L tops I tried on ((the size 16/18 shirts I have now have gotten too baggy)) so I bought a couple bottoms & a few tops....((oh especially the sizes in L...ha)) Then we went into the mall to Macys & I tried size 16 khaki cargo pants there & those fit nicely too! I didn't buy them...but heyyy...they fit!!

And!! My son had fun trying on things too since he just lost 50lbs since February ....@ 5'11 he went from 238lbs & he's down to 188lbs today!!.:carrot:..He's working toward 175. So we bought a few more things for him too. :)

Then we bolted out of the mall because the smell of the yummy salty soft pretzels were making me weak uhg. Insane I was even giving it a fleeting thought since I JUST got done trying 16's on. But at least I learned Im not strong enough to be in the mall by myself yet passing these places. Glad my son was there to give me a big stern NO & tell me to keep walking. :halfempty

Before I get all excited...is it official even though I can't make it into every 16 but can in most I tried on ((except those 2 that didnt))????? When it is appropriate to say you made it into a size down???

Rox: LOL @ you & that wrist fat....I'm so happy its gone & men are hitting on you now because it disappeared! Because you know the wrist fat being gone is the "reason." LOL...you sexy diva you!!! High 5! :lol:

TXMary2 07-06-2010 09:14 PM

Well, I am feeling kind of bummed after reading your post. LOL I am basically the same weight as you and nowhere close to the size 16 jeans in my closet! I am still trying to get most of the Lane Bryant size 18's to fit.

I know it messes with your mind, but try to just be glad you fit in 16 anything. :D

MissKelly 07-06-2010 10:39 PM

TXMary: Aww! Thanks! Don't feel bummed in the least! :hug: It's just the height difference...nothing more than that!! Always wished I was shorter though. :^:

Ok!! So...I guess that means I met my mini goal to get into them & wear them then. Im just in disbelief & wowed. Time to bust butt & work toward 14's!! ......& Im ridding of those stupid 16 stretchy skinny jeans, bringing them back to Goodwill...they can have them. =\

love114 07-07-2010 03:52 AM

Yayy for going down a size!!
My 18s are really baggy on me too, I have some old 16s that I feel are kind of too tight (esp around my butts and thighs) but no muffin top!! I guess I'm kind of down to a 16 too, but I don't want to go buy new pants lol and the old 16s I own have a hole in them from my thighs rubbing together I guess :(

I wish we could trade in clothes somewhere and get smaller sizes..for free! (Does this place exist by any chance???) Being a poor college student suuuuucks

Windchime 07-07-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKelly (Post 3373947)
Before I get all excited...is it official even though I can't make it into every 16 but can in most I tried on ((except those 2 that didnt))????? When it is appropriate to say you made it into a size down???

It's appropriate NOW! Because you are wearing 16's that *do* fit. If you were tightly zipped in with a big muffin top and had to unzip them to sit down, then I would say "almost", but it sounds to me like that's not the case. So I would say NOW that you are a 16. :) Yay!!!!!

I found the space between 18 and 16 to be the most frustrating. 18W was too baggy, regular 18 is nearly impossible to find. 16 was too tight, and 16W was too baggy. So there were a couple of months there where I had to wear super baggy pants to work because I couldn't find anything else. It sounds like you're at the tail end of that problem, though, because you've got all your cute 16's to wear now. Congratulations!

jendiet 07-07-2010 10:17 AM

i have to agree. There is something crazy about sizes. I can wear almost all of the 12s in my closet. I can pull them up and zip them...and all. But I have a size 14 pair of shorts that is SOOO tight. Then I have a size 12 pair of Levis Misses. And those things are painful to get in...i can't even button them...

I guess I'm a 13 in most things FOR REAL. but I squeeze in 14s OF OTHER brands. I had a favorite pair of old Navy 16s--but they just fall off and are super BAGGY. i think it all depends on where the cut falls too. I'm a higher size in low riders and a lower size in regular waisted jeans/shorts.

MissKelly 07-07-2010 12:21 PM

love114: Thanks! I figured last night I may as well consider that a mini goal reached so I can boogie forward & start cutting the inches needed to make way to 14 which I think won't happen til Im near onederland. I think I need to cut around 9" off hips & stomach & butt. Guessing here...haven't done the math on it yet. It would be really nice to have a clothing exchange for those losing...thats a great idea! Seems like so many pants out there now are made with spandex...wish the days of carpenters jeans would come back ((I still have a couple pairs of those in my closet in 10's...love 'em!!)). I dont get it...its all over the news that obesity is on the rise...so why are the clothes being made to cling more? You'd think they'd make clothes a bit more forgiving. Hunting through the tags in the pants yesterday, couldn't believe how many are made with Lycra. Im in the wrong business...after yesterday would love to start my own line if I had the knack for it.

Windchime: Thank you!!

jendiet: That's so crazy lol...so I guess determining what size you are depends on "majority wins." Seems like those who have an end goal of size 16 might just have an easier & less frustrating time aiming for 14 to settle into, for sanity purposes if anything.