Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #16  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I think that setting achievable goals is incredibly motivating. It's overwhelming to think of losing 50 lbs, but 5 lbs is much easier to wrap your brain around. Lots of people here set mini-goals -- each one you achieve gives you confidence to attack the next.

Someone on here once posted that instead of setting weight-related goals, she set behavior-related goals. Instead of saying, "I'm going to lose x pounds," she said, "I'm going to stay on plan for 30 days." Often we get frustrated staying on plan BECAUSE we are not seeing pounds or inches disappear. How about plan for the sake of plan (this is basically what Kaplods said, but framed a little differently)?

Exercise goals can be the same. How about, "I'm going to do the Couch-to-5k program?" For me, setting and achieving an exercise goal is particularly fulfilling -- and I have complete control over it. I decide every day to get my butt out the door. If you do each training session as assigned, you WILL be able to complete a 5K at the end (barring health issues). It is EMPOWERING!

I agree about being obsessed -- my husband kind of smirks when he catches me weighing 5 cherries (or recording 2 slices of peach pie ) -- but before I was obsessed with counting calories (and 3FC) I was obsessed with pinching fat parts of my body, or sucking in my stomach, or whether or not I could wear leggings, or what dress would fit for that holiday party? When I am overweight, I am obsessed with my weight and the unhappiness it brings. At least now my obsession makes me happier and healthier.

Last but not least,
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

I've only been trying to lose weight since april, so.. about 3 months. But it's definitely the longest time i've been committed to my health. I'm not exactly sure why this time it's stuck with me, maybe because my weight got so bad, or i was just tired of feeling tired and fat all the time, but the point is.. i'm on plan. i've been teased all my life about being overweight, and like glory87 said loosing weight is hard, but..to me, definitely not as hard as being morbidly obese.

Last edited by therex; 07-04-2010 at 08:37 PM.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #18  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Throw in the towel? No. Those days are over. If you want to be your optimal, the best you possible, slim, trim, fit, active and healthy - there can be no throwing in the towel.

This healthy way of eating has to become your way of life. Just another day at the office. Just what you do and part of who you are. When that's the case, throwing in the towel is no longer an option.

You have to make peace with and accept the fact that you can't have it both ways - you can be slim, trim, active and healthiest and eating everything and anything that you want. There has to be limitations, boundaries and rules.

You also mentioned thinking about your food all the time - why is that necessarily a bad thing. Much better to plan out the healthy foods that you will be eating, that to spend time wishing, praying, hoping and longing to be thin.

Any time, effort, thought and work towards getting and staying healthy is time very well spent.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #19  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losing It 2010 View Post
So I will be reaching the point where I usually say sc**w it and throw the towel in.. The one thing I hate about all this is the consumption of thought with food and what I am eating. How do I avoid becoming obsessed with this?

I appreciate all anwers and personal experiences, this place it great and a big help
I think just about everyone gets sort of "obsessed" in the beginning, but making positive changes in your routine can become easier with time and practice.

What I like to tell everyone is that for me, the best thing I could do was make baby steps. Small, manageable changes that add up to big differences over time. Watching portion sizes. Being aware of calories. Sticking with as many whole foods as possible.

I know it can be difficult and especially overwhelming to eat healthier. I do my best to make my food choices ahead of time, when my hunger isn't there to make my decisions stray. And when I do make my choices, I concentrate on how the food is going to make me feel. Not just now, but in the next hour, the next afternoon, the next day, even the next year. Will the food nourish my body? Will it spike my blood sugar and effect my hunger later? Will it make me feel bloated and greasy? Will it effect my mood?

And once I've eaten my meal, I do my best to move on and not dwell over my decisions even if I've overeaten or have made a few mistakes. Because I'm of the opinion that continuing to obsess and be tightly controlling is the road to becoming fed up and throwing in the towel (because it's stressful and energy-consuming to keep up an obsession). Instead of focusing on what you "can't" or "shouldn't" have in a negative fashion, find ways to have yummy low-cal versions of your favorite treats mixed in with healthy, nutritious food you enjoy.

I still definitely have my moments of stressing and obsessing, but I've made the majority of my progress having a laid-back attitude. Give yourself some time and practice with eating healthier and I'm sure it will become an easier habit over time. And most importantly, be kind to yourself.

Take care and good luck to you.

Last edited by Elladorine; 07-04-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 225/203/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
<snip>
Someone on here once posted that instead of setting weight-related goals, she set behavior-related goals. <snip>
I've been having some problems with being plateaued for a couple of months now, and this is the first thing I've read in a long time that makes me feel like there's some light at the end of the tunnel. If I change my expectations and goals to something like exercising every day, I'm a complete success, instead of being so frustrated at the scale stubbornly not budging.
Supernatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #21  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

I remember at my heavier weights if I felt that hopeless feeling, I'd remember its harder to feel overweight and that its not worth stopping the weight loss journey for a few moments of weakness.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I agree with everything that`s already been said but the most important thing is, for me, knowing what I do this for. Why I ant to lose weight in the first place. And staying on plan becomes easier the more I approach my goal, because the more I lose the more of a "taste" I get of the wonderful feeling that being slender is. :-) Just imagine that it`ll get easier the longer you keep at it.

Wishing you loads of strength!
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #23  

Being overweight, and having been over weight for a long time is so tough. If you're uncomfortable with yourself, and your weight, you're always going to be, unless you make a change. That's one thing I personally always keep in mind, I tell myself "Why slack off now? It's just going to make me feel terrible, and I'm going to want to start back again anyhow, so I may as well keep going". After I was so "obsessed" as you put it, for such a long time about food, and what I was eating, and not eating, I began to just stop worrying for some reason. The foods I eat to maintain my healthiness are foods that I already like. Steamed cauliflower, and broccoli, or sautéed onions and bell peppers. That seems strict, but I assure you, my diet is much more versatile, those are just some snacks I like here and there. Even if you feel like "slacking" for a little bit, you can ensure you don't go back to 100% of your bad habits by maybe trimming down your exercise routine, and just eating better. A couple days of that, and you'll feel the need to begin exercising again. It's all about routine, routine, routine. Usually, after the 3rd day my cravings are gone, and I can pretty much drop any cares about junk food.

Just don't beat yourself up in the process of any of this. Stress will only make it worse. Diet and exercise DOES work, and it IS hard but after awhile you forget about what's actually going on, and how much you're actually putting into it, because it becomes such a routine. Then boom, you go to try on your favorite jeans that you stashed in the closet 2 months ago, and they fall to the floor.

Best wishes to you, and everyone reading, we're all in this same battle, together.
Snail Trail is offline   Reply With Quote