Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #16  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I have a full time job, a toddler and a husband at home. Getting up at 5:00 is a normal thing for me, but that's just to get ready for work! There's no way I could get up at 4 a.m. to exercise.

So, I work, pick up my daughter, dinner with family, clean up, put toddler to bed, and then I get to work out. Some nights I don't get to go until 8:00, but I made it a priority. You just have to decide what is more important - do you really spend every night after work with friends? Can you do that twice a week and then work out the other 3? What about weekends? There are tons of possibilities, you just have to make the priority.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I don't redo my hair or makeup after working out. I wear my hair up to work out and leave it up, and I quickly touch up my makeup, but that's it. I jump in the shower for two minutes.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

I have a toddler and a preschooler too...I run a minimum of 3 miles at lunch time (at a gym) at least 3 days a week. I just freshen up (sometimes a quick shower, time permitting) and head back to work. I leave deoderant and yummy smelly lotion in my desk drawer. I also take a Boot Camp class M-Th @ 5:15 AM, go home, shower, and head to work by 7:30AM. My husband works out alot too so we do alot of balancing to make sure we get enough time for both of us.
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #19  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

I have all of the time in the world, so I really can't help you on the fitting exercise in front... It's just something you have to make adjustments for.

I can say, though, that I've never found exercise to be convenient. Ever. There will always be something I would rather be doing, I think... But I get up and find time in my not-all-that-busy schedule to do it, because I know that I need to. Just some food for thought.
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #20  

Well, I find spending time with friends more important than regular exercise, too. But why not have both? Why not go and play badminton with a bunch of friends on a regular basis? Or go inline skating? Or joing dancing classes with the bf? Sometimes, we can actually have everything.

There are limitless options, exercise doesn't have to mean running or going to the gym!

I also second the idea of streamlining your beauty routine. I am someone who needs a full shower, including washing my hair, after any kind of exercise, too - but I learned to do it within a very short time frame (15 minutes if I let my hair dry naturally, 30 if I want to dry/straighten it). For example - do you really think your boyfriend would mind your hair being not perfect if he knew it was because you are getting fitter?

Oh, and I have a question... don't you have showers etc in the gym in the States? I am just curious, because I know so many people who go to the gym from work, get showered there and go out with friends, all in one go, without time-wasting stops at home, and I was wondering...
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Oh, and I have a question... don't you have showers etc in the gym in the States?
Yes we do. Most gyms have showers. Mine even supplies hair dryers and a large vanity mirror with extra power outlets so woman can dry their hair even if they forget a drier.

Although, that being said, I've had my gym membership for 10+yrs and I've never taken a shower there. Even when I work out in the morning, I go home and shower. I think its a convienence factor, not having to bring the world to the gym with me in the morning. And you know us 'Mercin's ... we are lazy and like convienence.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #22  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
All the moms in my neighborhood run around in ponytails and sweaty workout clothes all day... then again, we also drive minivans.
hahaha you're funny! great advice to you and everyone!! i'm so motivated now!
neveragainbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chnkymonkey View Post
Yes we do. Most gyms have showers. Mine even supplies hair dryers and a large vanity mirror with extra power outlets so woman can dry their hair even if they forget a drier.

Although, that being said, I've had my gym membership for 10+yrs and I've never taken a shower there. Even when I work out in the morning, I go home and shower. I think its a convienence factor, not having to bring the world to the gym with me in the morning. And you know us 'Mercin's ... we are lazy and like convienence.
I never use the shower at the gym either. I always go home, jump in the shower, jump out, touch up my makeup, and go. And I sweat buckets when I work out. My hair gets soaked. I just wear it up to the gym and leave it up after. I wear it fancy and use a lot of hairspray so it keeps its shape throughout my workout, and I get compliments on it even after spending five hours at the gym.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 06-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #24  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

You might try a different haircut, designed to be easy to wash/care for. It would be a radical change, but you are trying to make a radical change!

Also, if you are like a lot of young women I know, that primping time isn't just about hair and makeup--it's your time with yourself, when you think about your day and make plans and speculate about people you know. Exercise can also become your time with yourself, when you spend time thinking, so you may find that getting ready goes much more quickly when you aren't also ruminating on life.

And I get up at 4:30 during the school year and it sucks . . .well, it sucks all kinds of rude things. I hated it every single day--and I am a morning person. When they say weight loss is a lot of work, this is EXACTLY what they mean.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #25  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

It takes me two minutes to do my makeup. Literally. Some days I don't workout and might feel like spending a little more time on myself, but on days I do there are many ways I'd rather spend my time than in front of a bathroom mirror.

If I'm leaving my hair curly or pulling it back I can do my hair in about 10-15 minutes. I never straighten it before work if I'm working out in the morning because it just takes too much time. However, I used to hate working out before work because I just couldn't figure out how to manage my time best. It's a skill, for sure. Now when I go to the hairdresser I say I need something that's as low maintenance as possible (hence, why I had them show me how to do it curly).

You'll definitely get into a rhythm and probably start to like getting your workout's over with in the morning. Think how good it'll feel knowing you don't have to do it once you get home .
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chnkymonkey View Post
I think its a convienence factor, not having to bring the world to the gym with me in the morning. And you know us 'Mercin's ... we are lazy and like convienence.
Thanks for the answer. I'm actually the same there, as I don't like to drag everything around with me all day just to go to the gym at some point.
I just wondered, because I've never seen anyone mentioning the option of showering at the gym, which can sometimes be convenient, as well.

Last edited by 3FCuser001; 06-29-2010 at 05:46 AM.
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote