Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #16  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Height: 5'8"

I am nowhere near goal yet but I can feel your pain about having to spend money on a new wardrobe especially when that money isn't readily available! Being a poor college student sucks lol!
My size 18 pants are definitely loser on me now, and one pair, if I'm not careful and don't go out and get a belt, will just fall to the floor one of these days haha. Even my work out pants are looser on me now! I noticed this yesterday when I was jumping rope that they were dangerously close to falling off! I had to dry my jeans in the dryer last week so they'd be a bit more fitted. I'm excited about all my big clothes becoming too big for me Definitely a motivating factor...but then having to buy new clothes so you can actually step outside in public to go to work/school is not so exciting..! Like others have suggested, thrift stores? And also playing with the clothes to make them look good even if they're looser (belts, leggings, etc).
I can't wait to have this problem!! haha
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

I cannot wait to have this problem. I usually wear my stuff until i look totally ridiculous in them because they are so big. I currently have a pair of pants like that but i refuse to buy more until i can go down a size. I usually have to lose a ton before going down a size.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #18  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

That does sound pretty annoying. The cool thing is you can sell it on Ebay in a big lot. Research on ebay and online how to get the most for your items. If you take good pictures you can make some dough. I too am a pooooor college student and that's how I make money. I can't wait until I drop a size or two, then my massive wardrobe of gently used brand name stuff is going up for sale. Oh, and you can always buy clothes on ebay if you don't mind looking around. I've picked up some mega cute stuff for like, a dollar on there. After shipping it was maybe 3.

Luckily for me, people have given me clothes too big for them (that was too small for me... sad) or I bought something thinking it would fit and it was too small, so I have clothes along the way. But I'm just now fitting all of the smallest stuff, so once I get to around a size 10 I'm royally screwed for clothes.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #19  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Man I can so relate to this right now. My 12s are tents my 10s I just bought 3 weeks ago are loose, but I refuse to go shopping right now because I know that it won't be the last time since I'm still 10lbs from goal. My bigger problem is that I'm about to start a pretty intense weight training program that I'm expecting will result in more size reductions. Oh poor me
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #20  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

Your annoyance would be my bliss lol
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #21  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/178

Height: 5'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
Never thought I'd say it, since I love shopping, but I'm getting pretty tired of buying brand new clothes and having them be tents on me a month later. I swear, once you're smaller, a 5lb difference will put you in a whole different size. I practically got a new wardrobe when I hit 140lbs. Size mediums and a few smalls, mostly 4's and 6's in jeans and dresses. I have ONE pair of jeans from that shopping trip that don't look ridiculously big now.

I'm definitely maintaining, I'm not trying to lose anymore, and I'll be upping my calories more, so I'm not going anywhere size wise. But I'm a poor college kid, I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe all over again

Anyways, this is a legitimate complaint. I'm annoyed, lol. For those of you who are close-ish to goal and can't wait to go shopping, take my advice...WAIT! Those last 5, 10, 15lbs are going to make a huge difference and then you'll be left with brand new clothes that are too big and no wardrobe money left, lol.
If you have one near you, you need to hit a GoodWill thrift store. I have been going there for my "wardrobe" changes over the last few months. I have gone from a 26 to a current 18 and if I had bought all of the clothes retail I would be broke. I keep telling myself I will continue to shop there when I reach goal as well. I see so many designer, name brand clothes, still with tags on it's ridiculous. Now, for every decent item I find, there are 10 pieces of junk, but if you can take the time and go through the racks you will find some decent stuff. I have picked up Seven jeans, for my goal jeans, and several abercrombie pieces for my son as well.

One other thing I have noticed is there is always more items from the designers in the smaller sizes, like you are wearing, so I bet you could really hit the jackpot there.

Last edited by OrganizedChaos; 06-28-2010 at 03:01 PM.
OrganizedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #22  
It's a Working Progress

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
As I lose, I'm not going on a shopping spree every time I can squeeze into a lower size. I'm going to use belts and wear my shirts loose.
It's not an issue yet, I have a closet full of clothes that are just a little bit too small.

This. I have some smaller clothes in my clothes back at my parents' house that I can almost get into. I squeezed into a size 14 khaki skirt that was once too small for me. It's still too snug for me to wear outside the bedroom, but I'm working on that. I mean I at least got it over my hips and zipped up! For now, when I'm ready for new clothes, I'll be hitting up the clearance rack at the stores that have clothes for sale for $10 or less.
bnorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #23  

I walked around for months with my strapless bra around my belly button because I couldn't afford a new one! lol Imagine the side profile...

Last edited by PapayaMule; 06-28-2010 at 04:09 PM.
PapayaMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

belts have become my friend even tho some clothes still look ridiculous on even with the belt....
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #25  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Sometimes I wish our clothes would shrink as we shrink :-)
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

lol i know what you mean i keep losing and constantly need new clothes so right now i just have two pair of jeans and i will wear them for as long as i can till i need new ones and i love shopping too, but i can't buy anything and if i do it has to be cheap like a $5 shirt i bought from American eagle couple days ago i don't want to spend so much money on clothes since i'm not at my desirable size yet
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #27  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I do think it is a good practice to stay in clothes that fit as much as possible. Once clothes reach a certain point of bagginess, you can't really tell if they get more baggy. This, for me, has a subtly demotivating effect--I begin to feel like I am not making any progress. Honestly, my guitt doesn''t trust the scale, the tape, or the mirror as much as trusts the waistband of a pair of pants. I don't really believe I'm losing weight until I put on clothes that I know I couldn't fit into before.

But yeah. Thrift stores. Now, I see $4 shirts on the clearance rack at Target and think "Wow. That's a lot for a shirt!" Thrift stores have also allowed me to buy one or two really dressy items very cheaply (like suits for under $5) and even though I really have no reason to wear them anywhere, being able to put them on and seeing this new professional me is exceedingly motivational.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I've been dropping a size about every 10 lbs. I'm a sales manager at a department store so my appearance is important--who's going to take clothing advice from someone who looks sloppy and out of style? I've had to buy new work pants three times now, and have probably spent $200 a month on clothes the past two months. The nice thing now is that when I go in the fitting room with a whole pile of clothes, I come out with tons of things that I'm happy with, instead of just a few things that I can live with. My body looks so much better now!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #29  

Height: 5'9

I'll keep that in mind and only buy maintenance clothes until I reached my goal. In the past I'd replace pants once they'd fall off without a belt and always have 2-3 good well fitting tops and 1 cardigan. Since I lost weight last year already I still have smaller sized items so that will help.
Leonor is offline   Reply With Quote