Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Give me permission...finding a balance

Ugh...the begining of my week was phenomenal, but now I'm PMSing and I feel like crap! My run yesterday morning was weak and this morning it turned into a short walk - I mean at least I did something that is more than I would have done before, but I'm going out of town for 3 days (3 days of restaurant eating - ugh) and I wanted to get some good workouts in before I went. I'll have access to a great running trail while I'm there so that is good and if I start TOM today I should feel better tomorrow, but why am I beating myself up so much? I mean I exercise 7xs a week and sometimes my body just needs a rest and that is ok (especially durning TOM!). I really need to nip this in the bud, I need to find balance. 7xs a week is fine, but when you beat yourself up for things out of your control or are exercising when you clearly don't feel well...that is just not good...For those of who are turning into exercise/health nuts like me how do you find a balance?

I just feel icky...TOM I hate you!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #2  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm right there with you. I'm expecting TOM very soon as well. My bike ride this morning sucked @ss (pardon my french)! I felt like I was going uphill the entire way and I was actually on my recumbent excercise bike. I expect that my weight training over lunchtime may kick my butt too. I have learned over time that expecting awesome workouts just prior to TOM is unrealistic. I still do them because I feel better, but have lowered expectations.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I think you have a conversation with yourself very much like your post. You remind yourself of all the good things you do on a REGULAR basis. You remind yourself to be kind to your body, and if the body isn't feeling well, then be kind and take a well earned rest.

I think it's natural to worry that one slip up or one missed workout (or more due to factors beyond our control like TOM) means that we'll go back to our old ways. It's a constant balance of allowing for 'off' days and being consistent in what we do. If we've had a past of 'using excuses' then it can make us a little nervous to trust our judgement and say 'I truly don't feel well today'.

Trust your judgement. From what I can see you have been doing this since 2006. I think you can trust your judgement.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #4  
No description available.

I actually build in a rest day a week, and one reason is to avoid feeling bad if I don't exercise every day. There is nothing wrong with a rest day a week. In fact, I usually run better after a rest day. Kicking the perfectionist/ 100% mentality to the curb has been a big part of my success this time round.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote