Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default Hmmmm weird?

Does anyone else have this problem?? When u eat something you havent eaten in a while and its different food, do you find that you are going to the bathroom after (diarrhea)?? Sorry for to much info i just need to know if its just me?
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

I don't know if we're both weird or what (lol) but I experienced that recently. I had a piece of barbecue chicken and ended up in the bathroom for a while. Maybe our bodies have gotten used to not having certain things (especially if what you ate is high sodium, fatty, real sweet, etc.) and then when we do have it again it kind of throws things off.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #3  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I think Pink Sparkle is right. It definitely happens to me too!
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have IBS, so the only thing predictable about my digestive tract, is it's unpredictability.

That's a bit of an exageration, because there are some patterns that I've learned to recognize. For example, if I want to eat more vegetables than my "normal," I need to increase gradually over a couple weeks or I'm likely to have abdominal cramps and diarrhea or sudden "have to go right now" issues.

I do eat more produce in the summer, and I have "issues" every year as I try to increase gradually (and usually try to rush the process, because there's so many treasures at the farmers markets).

For me any drastic change in diet is likely to cause digestive issues of one kind or another.

If this happens a lot, or gets more severe - you might want to talk to your doctor about the possibility of IBS or other digestive health issues.

I've been trying to eat more live-culture yogurt, because it's supposed to help. So far, it seems to be helping, but it's really too early in the experiment to be certain (at least I'm getting my calcium in).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

I have gotten it a couple of times when I eat a hamburger and french fries (both fast food and "nicer" restaurant). Not diarrhea quite, but definitely ...urgent. It's not the beef, bread or potatoes since I don't get that reaction when I eat any of those at home. But it is a lot more fat than I usually eat at a meal, sometimes more than I usually eat in a day. So in my case I think it is the fat. My scientific mind says I should track if more carefully and test it with something high-fat and not burger-related in order to be sure, so you could try that if you are experimental-minded.

My aunt gets it when she eats at a local "sandwich and salad" buffet place, and she thinks its their soda, which seems odd because she normally drinks quite a lot of soda at home. It doesn't stop her going there and drinking the soda still, for some reason!
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #6  
Katie, Nutritionist

It could be a food intolerance, if it happens often it would be worth getting tested.

But your body also gets used to the kind of foods you give it - I have lots of clients who can't digest vegetables when they first come to see me, and spend lots of time in the bathroom after eating them! And it works the other way, if you are eating healthier then you'll notice a more dramatic effect when you do have things that are fatty/greasy/salty as your body isn't used to eating them.

Try to keep a record of what foods cause it though, and you may see a pattern.

Katie
ThinkandGrowThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #7  

Height: 6"1"

Wow. I thought it was just me.

It first happened when I started eating a low carb diet. Everytime I ate, I'd be in the bathroom 20 minutes later (and a few times after that). I can't explain it. It wasn't diarrhea (sorry about the TMI). It was more food mixed with water. The first time it happened I thought I was sick and went to Wal Mart to buy Immodium.

Then it tapered off. But it still happens. Last night I ate a huge bowl of spinach and went immediately into the bathroom.
Sockerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #8  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

It was happening to me a lot too...but then I started taking probiotics daily & it doesn't happen as often anymore....it took care of it.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #9  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

It happens to me when I eat out, if I prepare the food myself, I'm usually good to go. I was at a nice, expensive restaurant and had roasted chicken with sauteed spinach, and I was violently ill for 2 days - no one else who had the exact same meal had any of the same symptoms.

Guess it just keeps us from eating things we shouldn't be!
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Yea i think it was an increase in fat. I had white meat chicken at boston market. If i made chicken at home its not rotisserie and doesnt have sauce.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

I lot of things can change your BMs. Sugar, fat, salt, fiber. And bowels are complicated- for example, fiber can make you constipated, but it can also losen you up. Sugar can give you the runs, but after a while of that you may swing back to constipated from being dehydrated. So yeah, any change in food that is a change to your normal dietary intake can definitely cause upsets. Totally normal.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

I've been trying to eat more live-culture yogurt, because it's supposed to help. So far, it seems to be helping, but it's really too early in the experiment to be certain (at least I'm getting my calcium in).
Almost all fermented foods, not just yogurt, have good bacteria that can help your digestion. If you tire of yogurt, try sauerkraut or kimchi or any of the many fermented soybean products -- miso and tempeh being the easiest to find.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #13  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

Happened to me recently at a family BBQ. I went majorly off plan (or at least I thought so. I mean, two slices of cake plus cookies too? Yeah...) with dessert, and by six the next morning it all had gone right through me. I got on the scale after sleeping a few more hours and had in fact lost weight since the day before, even though I felt like I did horrible... go figure.
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #14  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

I have that issue when eating out- doesn't matter if it is restaurant food or fast food. Within an hour I need to make sure I am home!!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Almost all fermented foods, not just yogurt, have good bacteria that can help your digestion. If you tire of yogurt, try sauerkraut or kimchi or any of the many fermented soybean products -- miso and tempeh being the easiest to find.
I do eat other fermented foods, and I've even made kimchi and other short-fermentation pickles. It's getting harder and harder to find fresh live-culture sauerkraut though (cans and jars are no good, because the canning process kills off the good bacteria).

I love fermented bean paste, but I wonder too about that as it comes in jars (which make me think that the cultures would also be dead).

Blue and other "supposed to be moldy" cheeses are another probiotic favorite.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote