I've been getting the best comments lately

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So I'm going to try and make this sound as humble as possible, I do not mean for it to be a bragfest. I say it in practically every post I make these days, I still truly and honestly do not feel skinny. My eyes and mind still see and think of myself as a chubby 183lb person. Throughout the whole weight loss phase, I had people tell me I "look good, keep it up!" and "you're getting in such good shape." All compliments I appreciated, but they were from friends who knew me as a large person and were aware of my weight loss progress.

Well recently I have been making some friends that have only known the smaller me, they don't even know that a few months ago, I was 50+lbs larger. And for some reason, I receive their compliments and comments in an entirely different way.

Here are just a few that I've gotten in about the last week.

- A very fit guy in my class and I were discussing body types, and I called myself thick/muscular, and he said "I hate to break it to you, but you're tiny"

- My thin coworker who just started working a few weeks ago and I were talking about eating, and she said "you and I are both little, so we don't eat as much."

- A guy I met last week gave me a hug and said "wow, you're so skinny!" Later in the night, him and his friends were joking about how they wouldn't want to meet me in a dark alley and he said "she weighs what? 125lbs soaking wet?" And I proudly said that I was 132lbs that morning, haha.

Those are just some examples. It's so strange to me, and I have a hard time explaining why these comments are strange to me, lol. I don't recognize myself as tiny, little, skinny, etc, but here are people who have no reason or prompt to call me such words other than their own observation. And it's an unskewed observation since they never knew me when I was bigger.

Again, I hope this post doesn't sound too boastful, that's not my intention. I don't fish around for compliments, and none of these were really compliments anyways, these people were just stating their observation about me. I guess I'm just amazed everyday by how different the world is as a skinny person. People treat you entirely different. And I am still not a skinny person in my head, so I'm having a hard time relating to the skinny people club, lol.
  • How wonderful for you!!! Enjoy the feeling.
  • It doesn't sound like bragging at all. I totally understand how you feel. I'm sometimes surprised by the positive comments people make about how I look because I'm still a heavier person in my head. For me, it feels good but I still have this doubt in my brain, like they are just saying it to be nice. Although it does kinda mean more when it's from someone that didn't know me when I was heavier. I think it's part of an adjustment period where you get used to your new body. Just try to accept the compliments and trust that they are sincere and start feeling great about your skinny body.
  • I can relate! I don't think its bragging. Lately, everyone has been making comments about my looks and body.
    Like at work(retail), within the last few weeks, I've been told I'm pretty and beautiful by 2 customers and 3 co-workers. It was really flattering.

I've also been asked if I modeled and that the "boys must be after me" which made my month (lol).

Last week, I was told by my friends sister, that I should consider being a bikini model, which I didn't see coming at all. I said I didn't know but secretly I'm starting to consider doing it for side cash.

Even today my co-worker was like you wear a small and another co-worker was trying to find out where I bought my pants.

The attention feels good and honestly I feel like i've adapted pretty well to it.
  • Quote: My eyes and mind still see and think of myself as a chubby 183lb person.
    This is my favorite part of this post. It sounds silly, but it is. I love that you called your former self "chubby" and not "fat."

Revel in the compliments! Believe them! They're well deserved and eventually your eyes and mind will catch up...I hope. I hope for my sake because I have that issue right now.
  • That's great you are getting compliments. I can't imagine getting compliments like that, i wouldn't know how to react. Good Job! Keep it up!
  • Thanks everyone, I'm glad I didn't make my self sound too narcissistic, hehe. That wasn't my intention.

It's just a really different feeling to have these new friends discuss my weight/body. They didn't know me as a big person, they don't know me as a formerly big person who lost weight, they ONLY know me as a skinny person. So they have a totally different perspective.

And like I said, I don't even really consider these compliments. Of course, they make me feel awesome just like compliments do. But they're just statements of observation. These people are saying "Megan, you're skinny" just like they would say "Megan, your hair is brown" or something. They're not trying to tickle my ego or anything.
  • I am so glad you are getting those well deserved compliments. I think it takes time for our brain to 'catch up' to what our weight and size actually are.

Carry on!
  • Oh you have nothing to worry about, about sounding boastful and all - this is exactly the place where you should be discussing these things. I for one have no one here in my *real* life that I would ever dare mention these things to.

I SO get what you mean when you say they are observations not compliments, though they are indeed complimentary. They're spoken *just matter of factually*. Just something that came up in conversation. And they are that much more rewarding.

I've had this happen to me and I think, "are they speaking about ME?" "no, can't be", and I'd actually turn around and see if someone else was standing there.

Oh it's a wonderful thing - but. so. very. new. and. so. very. odd.

It does take some getting used to, though three years out and I still marvel at it, am amazed by it and get a big thrill over it.

Congratulations on your wonderful transformation and every wonderful thing that it brings about.
  • Honestly, I think you should let yourself enjoy all of the compliments. I am waiting for the same thing. I think that when we're overweight and receiving only negative attention, it can become difficult to accept positive attention. I know I have become the most self-deprecating person ever. I think there comes a time when us chicks have to learn to take positive comments and enjoy them (AND believe in them!)
  • I've been getting some of those comments lately too. My one coworker the other day said the same statement that you got, but he asked me if I was 90lbs soaking wet.

I totally get what you mean though. It's nice to get these comments, but it's really hard to accept them when you don't see yourself the same way they do.
  • First of all GOOD JOB!! You look amazing, second of all I know how you feel, when I was at a healthy weight a few years back I thought I was huge, but now that I'm heavy I look back at pictures to see a skinny girl which at the time I felt quite the opposite. I know its hard, but every time you think to yourself that you are "chubby", remind yourself you're at your ideal weight and are very healthy.
  • Those are great comments! It's so great when you hear casual comments like this - for some reason they feel better than straight out compliments, because there's no intention behind them...
  • I've been getting the best comments lately
    Yes these comments are really good and by copying here we can also comments to other of our friends
  • You don't sound boastful at all. I understand! Absolutely adore and soak in these moments--you deserve it all. I also understand about not feeling muchsmaller. I am the same way and always have been for the most part. Pictures help.

Congratulations! I am so happy for you!!!