Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Okay...what do you do about BACK FAT?!?!

UGH! i look like my FATHER!!! except i don't have the hair on my back (yet). lol. but seriously...right at the base of the shoulder blades/bra strap area. i CANNOT seem to reduce that flap. i know spot reducing doesn't exist, but there must be some exercises that can help to tone the muscle there, which would help alleviate some of the fat. seriously, from the back i look like the Michelin Tire Man! Any advice/exercises/fitness routines given are MORE than greatly appreciated!!
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I feel your pain dear but don't worry. Back fat is like ankle fat and wrist fat and neck fat and face fat - you can't spot reduce it. It does goes away with cardiovascular exercise, and basically just losing weight in general.

However, when you do lose weight (and you've got a good start so far!) muscles can finally be revealed so in the meantime don't neglect your push ups which are one of the most effective upper body exercises. There are lots of of back strengthening exercises, most involving dumbells that will be helpful to you but I don't know what any of them are called. Try this website.
http://exercise.lovetoknow.com/Back_Fat_Exercises
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

It will go by itself as you get closer to goal and your body fat % goes down. Mine didn't disappear until the last 10 lb or so, and even now it's still "settling" a bit.

The fit and shape of your bra also affects it a LOT. Try on some different styles than you have now and see if that makes a difference. I can't wear Victoria's Secret bras at all for this reason; it's like they're specially cut to squeeze it out! It has something to do with the narrowness of the back band on their bras maybe? Lane Bryant ones lessen it. I think there are even particular bras marketed now for reducing the back fat look, I seem to remember one from Oprah.

If you do want to develop your back which is a good thing anyway, google for "exercises lats" (latissimus dorsi), this is one of the major muscles of your central/upper back under the bra strap area. Off the top of my head, yes, pushups! will develop your upper back to some extent, lat pulldowns on the machine in the gym, and back extensions on an exercise ball.

Last edited by bronzeager; 06-19-2010 at 02:10 PM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Like has already been said, you can't spot reduce. You can't target your weight loss in once specific , spot - if only. We all carry our fat in different places. The luckier ones have it distributed evenly throughout their bodies.

So how to get rid of the back fat. By getting rid of the FAT - period. As long as you keep on creating a calorie deficit, thus using your stored fat for energy, the excess fat will have to come off of you. And even if your back is your worst spot - eventually - it will come off of their too. It will have no choice. So hang tight, STICK with the good eating, keep your exercise up and know that a better back is in your future.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #5  

Everyone, including yourself, has already stated the obvious that you can't spot reduce but it WILL go away. And here is another exercise that is good for firming up that area so you will be nice and tight when the fat does melt away.
I personally think that she is bent over a little too far, which can put stress on the back. Reading the description it states to lean over at a 45 degree angle, which I agree with, but the picture shows her more at 90 degrees.

http://exercise.about.com/od/exercis...xercises_6.htm
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #6  
over and over again

S/C/G: 336.1/328.7/160

Height: 5'6

I hate the dreaded back titties.lol. I have the same problem and they make a good outfit look bad. Just keep on doing the cardio and get a bra that will cover it a bit more and that won't cut into your back. I find that Dillards has good big women bras. Good Luck!
sarcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

... you can actually "spot reduce" sorta (you still have to lose weight in general for it to happen but.. you can by working certain muscles)... Look up back exercises...one where you lay on the floor face down and use your muscles to lift yourself up, like a superman. That works on your back muscles, do shoulder rows/dumbbell rows... when you do those it starts to work on your shoulder blade muscles and the muscles right below them.. Pushups or bench pressing would help the back and shoulders too... those lat pull downs...
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Honestly, just give it time. I have no backfat anymore, but that didn't happen until I got into the 170's or so. I haven't done any special exercises for (except I carry around a toddler constantly), and it's just decreased with weight loss.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #9  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

It will come off as you lose weight. I know a lot about back fat; when I'm on steroids I look like an obese linebacker. Ugh. I tend to develop back fat around 170lbs (I'm 5'2") and so when I lose weight, it's the first thing to go. I always notice that my bras fit way differently. But I still have a frontal butt .. my huge belly is the last to go. Hard finding pants that aren't swimming in the legs and hips.

Anyway, I think a person reduces in the inverse order of putting it on. Do you remember in what order you gained weight when you were slim? If you put on back fat first, likely it'll be the last to go. Conversely if you developed it near your peak weight, it will be first to go.. hang in there so will have a supermodel back in no time.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

Thank you all SO much! sounds like some good exercises and good advice. being patient isn't always easy. and yes...that seems to be the last spot where weight comes off of me. ugh! i will just keep plugging away though. :-) Thank you all again!
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote