Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoco350 View Post
You know, many people have asked me why I decided to lose weight. What, after 19 years, fueled my motivation? And I never had a good, well-constructed response to that question.

I want to be healthy. I've already ruined myself in a lot of ways. I am covered in stretch marks, the ugliest varicose veins you'll ever see, and I have horrible skin from years of bad eating. At a very young age. I began imagining what these things could become in my late 20's and beyond, and the thought terrified me. So there's one reason.

I wanted self confidence. I am a wannabe musician but obviously at 304 pounds singing wasn't even easy, let alone possible because of my self loathing ways. I constantly thought (and still sometimes think) people are laughing at me. I just needed to be able to find self-love.

I wanted to be happy. I have found that becoming active has helped my depression and panic attacks in SO many ways. I feel amazing now that I can beat my athlete brother at a game of tennis. It just gives me pride being physically strong and capable.

I wanted to care enough about myself to look nice. My fat photos aren't just bad because I'm fat in them, it's because I look awful. I never wore make-up, my hair was a wreck, my clothes were whatever fit from wherever I could find them, and I was not a good representation of the optimistic, care free girl within. I am not saying be vain and care constantly about your looks, but something about taking pride in one's appearance is so fantastic. I have been gaining more and more of that pride everyday. And now I can fuel my obsession for clothes! I am finding my own sense of style and I LOVE IT.

To stop being a liar. I always lied to people. I would tell everyone I was afraid of roller coasters but I was secretly above the weight limit for them. I would tell my more active friends I couldn't go hiking because I was sick. I would refrain from anything that had to do with eating in front of friends and say I had homework and couldn't go out.

The little things. Fitting on roller coasters. Wearing skinny jeans. Being able to jog across the crosswalk and not just walk briskly. Getting one lazy day a week instead of seven! Being able to flex and see actual muscle under all the fat. Being knowledgable about something important to me - weight loss.

Overall, just for the life changing aspect of it. And to be honest, I never imagined my life would be changing this much - it's SCARY. But in the end, that's why I started this. I want all of the above and more in HEAVY doses. One day I want a relationship, I've never had one! I want to experience life to the fullest and catch up on what I have missed.

I'm sorry this was so long. It's just something I have been trying to answer for a long time. I still don't have a short answer but this works for me.
These are all great answers, but I think I identify best with your reply. I was never over the limit, but I was deathly afraid my heart couldn't take a rollercoaster ride. That, and it hurt to have that much fat jerked and jiggled around. Not to mention I'm too short for most of the rides, anyway. I remember I managed to get on one where you stood on a platform and were strapped in. I only managed it because I stood on my tippy toes. Once the ride started I kept getting hit in the crotch by the bar that fit between your legs.

I always lie and make up excuses as to why I can't do things. It's gross to say, and probably TMI, but I always opted out of sports in gym because frankly, when I run, my tummy jiggles, and you can hear it. I opted out of numerous parties and social events because I had nothing to wear. I wore the same baggy jeans that ate my legs up and the same black hoody in attempts to cover my huge stomach.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 374/ticker/size 12

Height: 5'8"

#1 is my health. I don't want to die cause of something I could have stopped.
#2 is for my kids. I don't want to be the fat mom.
#3 is for the attention - i am an attention w&%$e
oneLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #33  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Biggest reason: I want to feel normal and act normal and have fun like normal people.

Also for health. I had high blood pressure and was knocking on the door of diabetes.

My reflection in the mirror: I can't say "vanity". To me there's a big difference between hating myself and wanting to be hot. LOL! I'm not looking for hot...I just want to not hate myself, and I'm pretty much there.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #34  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

One of mine was economics. My company having to downsize/close entirely has been hanging over our heads since December 2008. I knew if I had to purchase my own health insurance that the premium with morbid obesity would be out of sight. And if I'm competing for job in an interview at age 49 (now 50), didn't need potential employers thinking of my size as a liability.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #35  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

I've been out of work for a year and a half, and I know that my appearance is standing in the way of being hired. I get plenty of interviews, but no job in the end.

Also, I've taken some classes online and gotten to be friends with some of the other students. A few of us are meeting up in September and I want them to meet the me I feel I am.
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

i wanted other people to see the person i felt i was --both inwards and outwards!
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

1.) I want to stop feeling inferior based on my weight.
2.) I want to stop second guessing myself or my value compared to other people.
3.) I want to be healthier so I can be around for longer.
4.) I want to go home for the holidays this year and look GREAT.
5.) I want to go swimming, and I want to go shopping with my friends for clothes.
6.) I want my boyfriend to pick me up and spin me around.

.... I can go on and on and on....
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #38  
Amazing will be me

Talking

1.4 ME
2. 4 my partner
3. 4 Health
4. To be a healthy weight the day i decide i want a family
5. To wear beautiful clothes
6. To show people who doubt me I CAN DO IT
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #39  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

1) To save my health while it was still salvageable.

2) To become visible to men again, even if only briefly, before I go into eclipse again as a result of my age.

3) To be active again, moving freely in the world, without getting easily tired.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #40  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

A lot of people here share similar reasons as I

*My health (When I took a break from this around Christmas time, I took that time to quit smoking, once I recovered from that I went back to eating right and working out to get to a healthier weight). I also no longer eat gluten.
*So I can buy clothes in any store, and not go to the ones that carry bigger sizes
*So I don't have to worry about my thighs rubbing together and getting that painful red rash! Too many times has wearing a skirt ruined a day for me.
*It'll be quicker to shave my legs if their smaller!
*I want to have the body of the person I feel like I am inside.
*I'm now engaged so that's an extra motivation!
*When I have children I want to set a good example for them on what a healthy person is
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

When I travel, maybe I'll be able to only pack my carry on because tiny clothes take up less space in a bag!
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #42  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

1. Vanity, pure and simple. I'm not unattractive now, but I look really good when I'm thin.
2. Well, I guess this is related to vanity. I want all of my clothes to fit me or be too big, and for it to be easier for me to find clothing that fits. I've managed to lose enough so I don't have to shop in the "Grandiosa" section of Vögele (one of the clothing shops here), and I'd like to keep it that way.
3. I'd love to have a sundress look decent on me by the end of the summer. My husband wants to see me in one, and I want to deliver. (He's not pressuring me or anything, but still.)
4. I'm going to America in September to visit family and friends and I'd like to look as thin and fit as possible.
5. Everyone is really nice to me, and no one makes comments about my weight or anything, because some of them are bigger. But for the smaller ones, I don't want them to get comfortable thinking that I'm the fat friend or something. Nope! Time to shake things up a bit.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #43  

Height: 5'7

main reason was for my health. I was tired of my diabities controlling me so I decided it was time for ME to take control. I also was sick of the way I looked.

Tara
terraleigh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #44  
futuremamachick

S/C/G: 280/210/150

Height: 5'6

I want to feel good about myself and I want to be a mom.
steph15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 199/184/170

Height: 5'2"

health issues and somewhat of what ur saying bitterness, i just want to look hot lol never been thin in my life
Luvxie is offline   Reply With Quote