Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Never again will I take my 8 PM run at 7:30...

OK... so... today's run... well... disastrous.

First... this is Texas... so some evenings get warmer than others... And... as soon as I stepped outside, my cholinergic urticaria flared up really bad. Like... I was covered in red welts after only five minutes walking... thankfully I didn't end up in hives... but I very easily could have... maybe the constant light breeze kept me down just enough. But... I had that. And with that comes light headedness and slight nausia. Well... I did my five minutes walking, then started on my 90 second run. It was EXTREMELY hard to run... harder than even my first day doing this. But I pushed through... and did it. And was starting to feel good about myself. Then suddenly... up came part of the crystal light I had at dinner. No heaving or distinguishible nausia beforehand... just... whoa... there it is on the side of the road.

I tried to ignore it... and walked for the two minutes, then ran for 90 seconds... halfway through the run another bit of the crystal light came up. You would THINK that I'd stop at that point. Nope... kept going. Kept telling myself "gotta push through" "gotta push through". I'm a genius... I know.

So I ran one more 90 second stretch... and at that point... I decided to just walk home. It wasn't worth it. By that point, my head felt like it was going to burst, I had salt in my pores so my forehead was stinging like CRAZY, my shins were killing me (I'm going to get the new shoes TOMORROW!!!), and once a minute I would feel the urge to release whatever was in my stomach at the time.

Let's just say that I practically limped home, defeated, with half my dinner and all of the crystal light on the road as evidence of my passing.

Ok... so... I don't think the fact that it was thirty minutes earlier than what I plan for was the biggest contributing factor... though the added heat sure didn't help.
I also was stupid and didn't wait any longer than 20 minutes after my biggish dinner before trying to go run. Yup... didn't I mention I'm a genius? (no comments about teenage brain damage please... )
The fact that I still don't have new running shoes didn't exactly help the shin splints (which HAD been fine when I went running on Wednesday with my lil' bro).
And... I had only had crystal light a few times before... and looking back... this particular flavor (the cherry... or strawberry... or something. It's red) had never fared well with my stomach.

So tomorrow I'm going to take my ACT (which is in the morning), go to Kohls to find the shoes sorta recommended for me (seeing if they are on sale... praying that they are, and I didn't really get a GOOD fitting...), and then I'll try the run again at 8 PM if my stomach has forgiven me my errors by that point.

But yeah... did I mention... I'm a genius.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

i'm sorry that sounds so rough. I CAN NOT run in hot weather period. i hope you feel better!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Oh god, I know exactly how you feel! I'm so excited, and sad, to hear that you ALSO have CU! I'm not actually diagnosed, but I'm 110% sure I have it, and I know how horrible it can be. Even after my allergy pill today, I exercised and could feel my neck burning and prickling, and I could feel the welts starting. But I peddled on, and eventually they were forgotten. Mine seem to come with no rhyme or reason, weather doesn't really control them, but I get them in the shower, and when I exercise.

Sorry that happene to you though, sounds like you had a really rough night. :[
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #4  

It's odd... because I'm just laughing about it. I was stupid... and I paid for it. It annoyed me... because I love my runs... and I couldn't finish it.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #5  
Graceful Loser

I hate that you can't just let loose and run. But I hope you don't end up hurting yourself anymore to just push through. I understand how the accomplishment of running the entire way enticed you, but I definitely don't think it's worth putting yourself at risk. Congrats to even getting out there and trying - that is the commendable thing.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

I have crappy ankles so I can't run at all. Way to go by trying to push yourself even after throwing up. I would have turned around right after the first time.
Do you like Gatoraid or anything with Electrolites in it? That might be easier when you run than Crystal Light. That or plain water.
You'll do better next time.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Yeah...Texas is rough. Not sure where you are, but here it's humid and warm even in the mornings. I've been running a couple of days a week at the track here in town - 5:15 or 5:30 a.m. is when I start to get done before the sun (and heat) come up...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Well, sorry to hear about your trouble about the heat.

I was mountain biking for exercise and I took some major falls and actually wound up with a cellulitis in my knee., I later found a rock in my knee, but I had to go to the ER and it was 10 days before I healed, but hey I was showing some muscle tone! I told my doctor and she said people who exercise are still more mobile and fit, even if conditions are less than ideal.
rosemarie0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #9  

Yeah... thanks guys. I think it was mainly the mixture of the heat with the fact that I didn't wait long enough for dinner to settle.

I'm usually fine around 8 PM to 8:30 PM. I've tried early mornings... I just can't stand it... Doesn't work with me... evenings... I feel amazing. And wake up feeling amazing. So... yeah. I guess that's why I love 'em... but... last night... ehh... didn't quite turn out how I wanted it to.

I'm not a fan of most gatorades... they tend to have the same effect as the crystal light. For some reason my stomach doesn't really like those really sweet tasting juice things... and for me... those two are rather sweet tasting. Now... I did have a couple of those vitamin water things before and after I went horseback riding... and they didn't upset my stomach... but... I dunno. I don't NEED it... water's fine... I just wanted to mix up dinner a bit and have a different drink besides water.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #10  
Healthy Chick in Training

S/C/G: 243.8/ticker/179

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
OK... so... today's run... well... disastrous.

First... this is Texas... so some evenings get warmer than others... And... as soon as I stepped outside, my cholinergic urticaria flared up really bad.
You are the first person I've "met" with urticaria other than my child. Her problem is the opposite. Her allergy is to the cold temps and she gets welts/hives below a certain temperature.

We always tease her that we know when it's safe to swim because we just throw her in and if she comes back out with a rash, that water is too cold for us old folk.

Last edited by jennett; 06-12-2010 at 05:29 PM.
jennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennett View Post
You are the first person I've "met" with urticaria other than my child. Her problem is the opposite. Her allergy is to the cold temps and she gets welts/hives below a certain temperature.

We always tease her that we know when it's safe to swim because we just throw her in and if she comes back out with a rash, that water is too cold for us old folk.

Same here. I have it, but heat seems to get it going. Not too sure about cold. I don't think the temp really matters, when I'm in the water, anyway.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #12  

I get it when I get cold too... sometimes it's worse in the cold... sometimes it's not. Always depends. It was HORRIBLE in Orlando when I spent thirty minutes at the beach. (I don't like the beach) It wasn't the sun or the heat at that time... but the quick changes between FREEZING COLD water and the hot air.