Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #16  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

You know what two things I noticed about your post? That you referred to yourself as a "disgusting mess" and that you're "lazy." Mindset is crucial on this journey. Tell yourself you're beautiful and strong and worthy! You'd be surprised what a difference it makes.

Also (and this is something I say all the time)...you don't hate exercise, you hate the exercise you've tried. Keep experimenting until you find something you enjoy and look forward to. There is something you would like, honest!

When I was at my highest weight (280) I did water aerobics. And I took the class at the time of day when all the little old ladies were there. I wasn't self-conscious about what I looked like, the workout was easy but effective, and I had a dozen grannies cheering me on!

Good luck!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #17  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
1. Try different things. Don't just stay miserable until you quit completely.

2. At a high weight, food restriction makes up a MUCH larger portion of a calorie deficit than exercise does. If you really, really hate exercise--if it's making you sick of the whole process, makes you want to throw in the towel completely, I'd scale it way back or even quit it for 30 days and just work on staying perfectly on plan, food wise, until then. Then start adding exercise in gradually....snip
I so TOTALLY agree with the bolded. When you are morbidly obese, just lifting your body is strenuous exercise. At this point, you are burning more calories than a 140 pound person who exercises 2 hours a day just by breathing. Why feel like a failure when you are sticking to your food plan? I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breannaj1215 View Post
Thanks ladies. I cant really afford a trainer. Here there very expensive. Im ok with my diet. the problem is without excersize you tend to lose more slowly. The one thing that motivates me is seeing the weight come off. Ive been walking with my dog for 20 minutes aday.
I really have to disagree with the bolded in your statement. I could barely excercise for the first several months. I started out just cleaning my house and purging all the crap that was cluttering my home and my life...I lost almost 60 pounds in the first 3 months by DIET alone. Ironically once I started more "regular" excercise is when my weight loss slowed WAY down. So, no, I'm not buying it.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #18  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well they do say weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I totally agree with this because I can eat very well and exercise moderately and lose more than working out daily but not being as careful with my diet.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #19  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breannaj1215 View Post
The one thing that motivates me is seeing the weight come off.
I hope you find a way to change this mentality. It's a major stumbling block for most people. The scale not cooperating is THE number one reason I have given up in the past. But look at what seven months of not giving up has done for me!

Because I found that the scale was so highly motivating and also demotivating, I had to give myself a one year commitment to my plan. Every day for one year I am plan, no matter what. That way, no matter what the scale does, I will still lose weight because I will not be giving up.

The scale stinks...it really does. It does NOT accurately reflect what we do, especially those of use who exercise. Exercise does wild and crazy things to the scale, but it also tones and strengthens the body beautifully.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #20  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
2. At a high weight, food restriction makes up a MUCH larger portion of a calorie deficit than exercise does. If you really, really hate exercise--if it's making you sick of the whole process, makes you want to throw in the towel completely, I'd scale it way back or even quit it for 30 days and just work on staying perfectly on plan, food wise, until then. Then start adding exercise in gradually.
I was going to say this, too. It's possible, in the beginning, to do it without excercise. You need to start at some point, because I don't think I've ever heard of a long term maintainer who didn't excercise regularly, but if it's too hard in the begining, if it's getting you down, don't do it. Save it for later.

We have similar starting weights, and I didn't even think about trying to excercise until I lost 30 lbs or so. Before that, excercise exhausted me, and and an exhausted me didn't feel like cooking or meal planning, or any of that. When I had lost 30 lbs or so, I started excercising by walking only (either "real" walks, or Walk Away the Pounds dvds). Unfortunately, right as I was starting to excercise, I herniated a disk in my back (completely unrelated to excercising) and it took four months and another 30 lbs before I could do anything but gentle physical therapy excercise. I essentially lost 60 lbs with no excercise - and starting to excercising now is like night and day from excercising almost 70 lbs ago. It's not always easy, but it's so much easier. It's only been a couple of weeks, and I'm seeing amazing results in my body - everyday I feel stronger, and everyday i feel motivation that I have never felt before.

Last edited by eclipse; 06-08-2010 at 08:08 PM.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #21  
over and over again

S/C/G: 336.1/328.7/160

Height: 5'6

I dreaded the thought of having to workout when I first started losing weight. I was 285lbs when I decided it was time to hit the gym. I started out riding the bike and just plain ol walking on the treadmill. What really helped me was working out on the treadmill in front of the big wall mirror at the gym.lol. I got to see everything jiggle with each step I took and that DEFINITELY motivated me to walk a lil faster and up the incline. I wear pants just below the knees so I can watch the fat on my legs and muscles move.lol. And if I don't have music with me while I exercise then I just can't workout. I need music to keep me going.
Start off at your own pace. Walking the dog is good exercise. Just do things that will keep u interested. Because trust me, when u notice that your body is getting slimmer or things that were once hard for u to do r now becoming a lil bit easier for u, u r gonna want to jump on the ball and see more results. Just don't give, it will become easier. Look at the weightloss stories and goal pics. Those always help give u a lil push.
sarcruze is offline   Reply With Quote