3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   so I'm plateau-ing... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/203608-so-im-plateau-ing.html)

Cally Callahan 06-03-2010 11:23 AM

so I'm plateau-ing...

and I need some advice :^:. It has been about 3 weeks that I am stuck at 161-162 lbs. I will not give up and I am going to be persistant and stay on plan, but just thought I'd ask for some input because it's always nice to get others perspectives!

Here is a bit of my background.

I started my "journey" around the beginning of the year. I have lost 50 lbs so far, in pretty consistant increments per week, slowing up a bit each month in. Started in the beginning with rough counting calories (around 1200-1500 day) and doing 1 step aerobic class per week. I am an equestrian as well so I try and ride for at least an hour anywhere from 3-6x a week.

I have been gradually cutting out carbohydrates from my diet over the past 4 months and increased the protein. I have also been stepping up my exercise, so that I now run for about 30 min 3x a week, do weight training maybe 2x a week, try and fit in a step class when I can, and try and ride my horse still 3-6x a week. Also started being more active on weekends, play tennis with the boy or go for walks.

I haven't changed too much with my diet since I started, except for cutting out the majority of carbs, and increasing protein. Truthfully, I don't think I can sustain this "lifestyle" on less than I am eating now, and that is why this plateau has me so worried. If I knew I just had to stick it out and stay on plan, well luckily, I am a hyperorganized freak that thrives on routine, so that comes easy. But I'm more worried that my diet needs some serious tweaking to break this plateau and I'm not sure what more I can do.

Here is a sample day of my meals for you all to scrutinize ;)

Breakfast
1 cup cottage cheese
1 hardboiled egg
2 cups coffee w/ skim milk

Snack
Yogurt cup or Sugarfree jello cup

Lunch
2 cups Salad w/ dried cranberries, mandarin oranges and almonds, dressing
chicken breast

Snack
1.5 cups sliced strawberries or 1 can peaches in water

Dinner
Asparagus with margarine, 2 mini turkey/veggie meatloaves, 1 cup salad w/ croutons, light feta and dressing

So, based alllll that info, does anyone have any ideas of what I can tweak to get through this? I should also add that I am now at the highest range of normal BMI for my height, so I knew that it would be harder to lose. Didn't think I would completely stall though.

ThicknPretty 06-03-2010 11:49 AM

Look at us…we’re almost twins! You’ve come farther than me and my goal is a little higher than yours, but that’s kind of neat.

I don’t know if this is an option for you or even something you’ve considered, but I recently became vegetarian and it has really made a difference for me. It could just be the initial weight loss whoosh that comes with drastic lifestyle change, but the scale has been moving quite a bit lately. Even if you just cut out the meat one or two days a week, it can make a difference.

But there are always lots of angles and options to consider, little things that can be tweaked. That’s why these plateaus are so tricky…the key is just doing something different that you can tolerate and that you’re body will respond to!

mandalinn82 06-03-2010 12:22 PM

3 weeks, especially when you're as close as you are to your goal, isn't really that much of a plateau. I'd personally give it a little more time, or increase your exercise intensity a bit (adding some walking or other cardio on riding days, for example) to get things moving.

gardenerjoy 06-03-2010 12:24 PM

I plateaued for a couple of months over the winter, but I wasn't anywhere near normal weight, so I'm not sure what worked for me will work for you. It helped me to measure everything I ate for a few days and throw it into SparkPeople (or any other online food database). Then I could identify what would help -- for me it was diligently measuring my high-density calorie items and reducing a carb at lunch.

Any thoughts in the direction of declaring yourself done and going into maintenance? My goal is 150, too, but I'm going to rethink that around 160. If my body seems to like that weight, I may decide that's it. I've seen that some people still gradually lose a little -- in the half pound to a pound a month range -- even after declaring themselves in maintenance. Maybe that would work for you.

Natalia 06-03-2010 01:08 PM

have you ever tried zig-zagging? I know many girls on here have done so to break a stall- it seems to keep your body guessing and not to hold onto fat due to the low calories.
You might try one day a week with higher cals, maybe up your snack calories? your snacks now look decidedly low cal.

Lori Bell 06-03-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenerjoy (Post 3322384)
Any thoughts in the direction of declaring yourself done and going into maintenance? My goal is 150, too, but I'm going to rethink that around 160. If my body seems to like that weight, I may decide that's it. I've seen that some people still gradually lose a little -- in the half pound to a pound a month range -- even after declaring themselves in maintenance. Maybe that would work for you.

I'm thinking the same thing. When I reached the upper end of a normal BMI, (158 for my height) I declared goal. I always knew I wanted be be lower, but I thought it was a good time to start practicing maintaince. Well, once I called goal, it took me several months to find my happy place...the sweet spot when it came to calories in. Over the course of the next 5 months I lost another 18 pounds and reached 140 on Christmas Eve day, I've managed to stay there, (within a few pounds of normal weight fluctuation) every since. I still declare July 3rd the day I reached goal though, because it was the day I became "normal" lol :) Just don't give up, whatever you decide! Congrats on your weight loss.

ETA: I also agree with Amanda, 3 weeks at your weight really isn't a plateau. If you kick things up a notch, things will probably start moving again.