The Things I Avoided Today...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I suppose I am just wanting some pats on the back. I really avoided giving in to temptation today.

Background: I work in a doctor's office where food is frequently brought in by pharmaceutical reps. Sometimes it's sandwiches or pizza. Other times it's a full dinner spread from a caterer. I had gained up to 191 and counting, on a course for my all time high of 230, when I decided I couldn't eat like that anymore.

Back to today: I avoided chicken breast wrapped in bacon in a cream/wine sauce (how unhealthy can you make a chicken breast??), garlic mashed potatoes, rolls, and a huge plate of brownies and cookies w/ chocolate cream to dip them in. The brownies were the hardest. I did let myself have a few pieces of the "steamed" asparagus that came with the dinner, but even that was swimming in butter and/or oil, so I just ate the tips.

After that, a patient brought in her once-or-twice weekly pans of brownies fresh from the oven (she does this in appreciation and means well).

It's tough being around that kind of stuff for me.
  • Good for you
  • Great job! That's a very challenging food environment.
  • Way to stay STRONG!!! You deserve the pats on the back!
  • Annie! Totally cool way to go!!! I'm so proud for you!!!!
  • Thanks ladies! I'm feeling better already!
  • Great job
  • Yeeaaahh!!!!!
  • on resisting the office goodies. I like your strong willpower and strength..Much luck of your continue efforts like today!
  • Wow Annie, kudos and a big hi-5! Just ate the tips of asparagus? I'm so impressed with your control. I would not have really even thought about just eating the tips. (I'm going to remember that one when I'm in that situation) You have not only great control, but superior strategy!
  • I really appreciate all the kind support.

LOL! As I was checking out at Walgreen's today, the lady asked if I wanted a brownie to go with my purchase (when did they start selling brownies at Walgreens). So I resisted brownies thrice today! Must have been some kind of test or something.
  • Brownies? Walgreens? Great... something else my little brother can get there. >.<

(he goes and buys the m&m bags... those giant ones... there... and then eats two or three in less than two days)

ETA: Whoops... forgot to add... congrats on resisting temptation!
  • I totally understand your office food situation. In my last job at a hospital,
    our office put on social events for seniors complete with food. After the event,our office would end up with all the left over muffins, birthday cake, cheese cubes,cookies, etc. etc. It would usually be placed very near my desk so that I had to look at it all day! It was extremely challenging to pass it up!
    You did great today! Pat self on back several times!
  • Great job!! Practice those resisting temptation "muscles". The more you resist, the easier it will be. (At least that's what I keep telling myself....)
  • I too work in that kind of environment. Its very hard. especially cause food is all around. I actually just talk myself out of it. It takes a lot of will power to say no!