Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 250/237/170

Height: 5'8"

Just a tidbit......it seems you are a little worried about gaining weight after having it removed, but just imagine what a toll it will take on your weight loss efforts if you are in pain and uncomfortable all the time. I will pray for you and wish you the best!!
abreezies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #17  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I actually lost weight after having my gallbladder removed. I think part of it was that it kinda forced me to adopt better eating habits--certain foods started to go right through me after the surgery (fatty foods, fried foods, etc). Because I didn't like the oh-my-gosh-I-have-to-go-right-now feeling, I started avoiding trouble foods and only eat them sparingly now. From a girl who hasn't met a cheese she didn't like, this really helped me lower my dairy intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwomin View Post
Thanks, Jojo. If I knew that I wasn't going to have an attack again or that my gallbladder wasn't going to be infected then I definitely wouldn't get it removed. What I am grappling with right now is that fact that I've had four attacks in a span of a couple of weeks and this last one has knocked me on my tush. I've also been studying my eating plan and I can't find the exact trigger. This last time it could have been caffeine and the one nasty seven gram of fat cookie I had. The other times I hadn't had caffeine, eaten a lot of food, had a lot of fat... I'm not really sure what my trigger is.

I'm definitely worried about the possibility of another attack or a gallbladder infection that would call for a more invasive surgery. I've also been reading that some people gain weight after having their gall bladder removed. Has this happened to anyone? I really want to go into this decision with my eyes open.

Last edited by BluCypressLily; 05-25-2010 at 11:01 AM.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

I feel so sick right now. Exhausted, nauseous, aching pain that is getting worse and moved to my back. I called the doctor's office and they said that it might be like this until I get it taken out. She thought my breakfast might have been too heavy for me right now.

I ate two small multigrain (soy, flaxseed) pancakes that had been cooked with minimal oil in a non-stick pan. A tablespoon non-fat yogurt and some agave nectar. It didn't seem like a high fat or heavy breakfast to me. At this point I'm not sure what I need to be eating. Does anyone have any suggestions of what sort of foods I need to eat or not eat?

If this continues much longer I'm not going to care about what happens after it comes out, I'm just going to want it removed. ASAP.

Last edited by Renwomin; 05-25-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #19  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Renwomin - sorry you're experiencing so much discomfort.

Why don't you try instant oatmeal (they come in a variety of flavors and are pretty reasonably priced at Walmart) for breakfast? I usually have instant oatmeal and a glass of skim milk (with cocoa powder). Seems to do the trick. Another option is fruit. Have an orange and a banana or any combination of fruits. These are low on fat, but will keep you full.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #20  

I called my doctor earlier today and told them how ill I was feeling. The surgeon fit me in for a consultation this afternoon. With how horrible I am feeling I am totally beyond debating about the surgery. My gallbladder needs to come out. I feel like my body is very toxic right now. Even though I'm not at the emergency gallbladder surgery point yet I'm scheduled to have surgery tomorrow.

I've never had surgery before and I'm pretty scared/worried. This is all happening so fast!

Does anyone have any post surgery advice?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #21  
Happy Member

Hi, Renwomin:

It sounds like you really do need the surgery. And I wish you the very best with it and sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.

As I mentioned, my DH had that surgery a couple of years ago. His recovery was uneventful.

In his case they gave him all the post surgery advice he needed. I do remember that he was not put on any dietary restrictions, in fact he was told to eat anything he wanted to. Also he had absolutely no weight gain after his surgery.

You are doing the right thing for yourself. You'll be just fine. Check back in whenever you can.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #22  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Renwomin, just think how much easier your recovery will be than it would have been 33 pounds ago! Focus on the positive, and healing well! I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #23  

The surgery went well all considering. They were able to do a laparoscopic procedure. I'm in a fair amount of pain from the incision sites and still dealing with some nausea, but I am hoping/sure that will get better in time. Thank you all for the support so far. This has been a really scary process for me. Any post-surgery advice?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #24  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Stay away from greasy foods for awhile, as in, months! I ate some barbecue ribs about 3 months after my gall bladder removal, and it made me sooooo sick! Couldn't handle the fat... took hours to feel better.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #25  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I hope you're not as sore today!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #26  

Thanks for the advice, everyone. My incision sites have been really sore for days and I'm still on pain meds, but I believe this is normal. I am getting better every day though. I'll just have to deal with any other problems stemming from this as they come up!

C'est la vie.