3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   My Mom... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/202527-my-mom.html)

Serbrider 05-22-2010 08:06 PM

My Mom...

Ok... my mom is extremely judgemental. And I really don't know why.

She is constantly critiquing everything around me. Even a lot with me myself. I watch a movie... that has ONE bad word in it, and maybe an implied sex scene (one that was NEVER shown), and she goes on and on about the evilness in the movie.

I had a choir spring show a few weeks ago. She said "your thing was nice", but then she went ON AND ON about one guy who danced kind of... well... not how he should have (we were all upset about it, even if it was kind of funny), and then about one girl who, as she claimed, had "too short of a skirt" on. The skirt was literally two inches above the knee. And this is a small asian girl. The skirt had so many ruffles that you couldn't have seen up it from the seats below the stage, etc. But she went on and on about that too.

And then today... I was SO proud of myself. I had to go to Randalls to get money out (I needed $150 to pay for my riding lessons), and instead of going for the donette things, I grabbed a Seventeen magazine. Something I could enjoy, without having to worry about something I shouldn't have eaten. I brought it home... and my mom began to tell me that I should "be careful" when reading it because it promotes all these "bad things". Ok... so yes... they have a section about teen sex. So? It's a teen magazine... and, despite what people wish and desire... teens will always be doing it. No... doesn't make it right, but Seventeen has never encouraged girls to do it... they've just told them how to be safe, actually even encouraged girls to WAIT. How is that wrong?

I don't know. I'm just tired of things I'm happy and excited about to constantly be shot down because my mom sees evil in it.

HoneyMustard 05-22-2010 08:22 PM

I know exactly how you feel!
I grew up in a "proper" home. My mother especially was always nagging me about how cunning evil is. I'm older now and have found that if I re-assure her, and that she brought me up right, and to trust that I can make the right decision(s)...She backed off me, a little.
Just remember, that you are her baby, and no god fearing mother wants anything to harm her baby!
Keep up the good work!

tiffany0809 05-22-2010 08:57 PM

Unfortunately I don't have any words of advice, because I grew up in a similar way. To this day, my parents both find negativity in EVERYTHING. It's hard but I do my best to ignore it, or just not tell them certain things that I know they'll express their negative opinions about.

Arctic Mama 05-22-2010 10:01 PM

I can't say I disagree with your mother one bit on her views, and I'm only 23. That said, maybe you could ask her to make her delivery a bit more kind? But you have to make the distinction of whether there is something really 'wrong' with her disagreeing with things or if you are just hypersensitive to her and thus it seems like a bigger problem than the actual issue would imply.