Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Default Doc says "no more weight loss"

So I needed a physical for a new job. I haven't had a physical since I was 17. So it's been about 4 years and, to be honest, I didn't miss it. Anyway, I finally got up the courage to go and a couple of funny things happened:

1) My doctor figured I was starving myself or taking some diet pills or something lol. When I told her what I had been doing, she kept trying to poke holes in my plan. For instance, she told me I don't get enough fats. Well, I monitor not just calories, but fat, fiber, sodium, carbs, and vitamins. I tried telling her this but I'm not sure she believed me. Oh man, when I told her I eat 1200 calories a day, she told me that not even super models eat that little blah blah blah. Now, my doctor is old school, so I figured I would get this reaction, but my plan is VERY healthy, much healthier than my diet was before I decided to lose weight, so I'm not ashamed of it. I could have lied and said a higher number but I refuse to be manipulated like that.

2) The second thing that happened was, for the first time IN MY LIFE, not only did a doctor not tell me I have to lose weight, but she actually told me to stop losing weight. I'm not sure she realizes that there is a large range for healthy weights (like I said, VERY old school). When I told her I wanted to lose 10 more (and I'm actually thinking it will be more like 15 or so more), she was like, "absolutely not."

In other news, my blood pressure was 110/70 and she seemed impressed. I don't know the numbers too well, I remember learning in a biology class that 120/90 is good lol but that's all the info I've got up my sleeve. So yeah, now I'm just waiting on the cholesterol and thyroid test (I had borderline thyroid issues last check up).

So have YOU ever had a doctor tell you to STOP losing weight? It just feels so ironic. Every doctor my entire life has wanted me to lose weight. Now that I have, my plan is somehow unhealthy and I've taken it too far lol.

Last edited by jkinboston89; 05-11-2010 at 04:43 PM.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5

hehehehe! i wish such a day will come for me too!!!!
Sameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/167/150

great news congratulations!
carolinainfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #4  

Hahah! That day will come! Sooner than you think- if you have a doctor like mine! lol
Old 05-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #5  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Lucky, every doctor I have been to in the last 7 years has either been happy i've lost a few pounds or warning me that I am on the road to health problems because of my weight..
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I am totally inspired by you - seriously. You started in September and you have lost 103 pounds. That is incredible and you look fantastic. I really need some inspiration right now too.

I just want to ask - you are eating 1200 calories a day - are you exercising at all? Just trying to work on a new plan for myself. Would love some more details or a link if you have posted it somewhere before.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #7  

sotypical, I'm going to PM you
Old 05-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #8  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

YOU know your body better than anyone, so I would keep doing what you are doing. If you want to change, change, if not, don't!

120/80 is the "normal" BP last time I heard...

Now go find a doctor that you like & can comfortably talk to... you deserve a doctor that listens to you & your story... she shouldn't put you into some textbook graph & not listen. We are all individuals that vary ALOT no matter how much we like to think we are all "the same".
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #9  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

That is insane. What a weird doctor. But you know, I guess I can kind of understand, because really, there are VERY few people who try to go about losing weight in a healthy manner. Look at all the ads on TV for "quick weight loss!" and stuff like that. Most people don't want to take the time or effort to learn how to do it right, and keep it off. Developing healthy habits can be hard. It's just too bad your doc didn't praise you more for your efforts.

Well, now that my spiel is over, great job. I'm very impressed. I wish I'd started when you did, I'd probably be at goal now lol.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #10  

LOL!!! I should mention that my doctor is quite overweight so I don't know if that played into it. She really is a nice old woman, she's just stubborn and stuck in her own (kinda uninformed/updated) beliefs. She did end up praising my hard work in the end, all the while cautioning me about going ANY further haha.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #11  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
I am totally inspired by you - seriously. You started in September and you have lost 103 pounds. That is incredible and you look fantastic. I really need some inspiration right now too.

I just want to ask - you are eating 1200 calories a day - are you exercising at all? Just trying to work on a new plan for myself. Would love some more details or a link if you have posted it somewhere before.
Can I get the info too??? I am stalling and would love to know

I pray for the day someone says "Terre, you really have to quit losing weight" lol I love it. I will try to get someone to say that.

Last edited by Terre; 05-11-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Terre....I'd like more info on your success also!! It's very inspiring!! You've lost so much in just 8-9months, it's awesome!! Too bad you're doctor is not praising you for becoming Healthy AND encouraging you to keep up the good work!!!
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

i'm like sotypical i'm curious what your plan of action was!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations on a great loss ! Many doctors have no clue about healthy dieting.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I look forward to the day when my doctors harass me on the OTHER side of weight loss, not for needing to lose more!

Congratulations on a good physical, less the bad information
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote