Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Default Weight Loss Journey and Life Lessons

About a month ago, I started working out with a trainer, set some goals for myself and started exercising a lot. I recently found out that I didn't meet one of my goals, felt devastated and started to sabotage myself. I think the life lesson for me here is that I have to learn to live my life for myself, no one else. While I think it is great to have goals, I have to set them for me and when I set them this time, I was setting them with the trainer, and in a way I was trying to please him. I find that working with a trainer is awesome, but I have to be responsible to myself and happy for me when I accomplish something, not trying to please anyone else. I used to try to lose weight because my family wanted me to do but this time I am doing it for me.

I need motivation though- what helps you with motivation?
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #2  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

hey

i guess my biggest motivation is that i've finally realized that it's not about messing up but about recovering, getting up and finishing the race that makes you a winner in the end. I always used 2 quit the minute I overate one day or didn't workout enough. But now I just focus on staying on track even if I mess up sometimes ---- I made my only goal to work out for a certain number of hours/days in a week and to make sure I stay on plan 90% of the time. My motivation is I try to talk 2 other people who have gone through the journey already, people who have succeeded, people who are on track at the gym and thats what keeps me going.
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #3  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I think caliyah's words are right on.

I've learned to keep committing to my plan daily even if I binge 5 days in a row, which I did recently. You don't have to work the plan perfectly for it to work.

I fight this battle on two fronts: eating and exercise. When I binge, I still try to exercise. And when I don't exercise I try to eat right. But I feel really great when I exercise and eat right. I have come to appreciate the benefits of physical fitness. Even if I don't lose another pound, I would be happy if I got in better shape.

I've found that other people distract me from my goals, so I generally keep my exercise and eating private from others. I take their compliments, of course, but I consider this a solo journey (with help from 3FC)
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #4  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Motivated,
I like everything you said above. It sums up my recent experiences. Looks like we are on a similar path -- but you are ahead of me. How long have you been working your plan?
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivated chickie View Post
I think caliyah's words are right on.
me too. people are at different places mentally and physically when it comes to weight loss. for me, the process of learning how to get back on program after changes or messing up or lapsing is HUGE, and it's enabled me to not gain back large amounts of weight that I've already lost (something I've done in the past). Learning to set and keep goals is important to me too, but I've found that I can't afford to let making or not making them be everything. I'm in it for the long haul.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 05-22-2010 at 02:30 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Motivation? Well I want to LIVE, I want to be the best me - settling is no longer an option, I want to have the highest quality of life and not an inferior one, I want great doctors visits, I want self respect, self confidence, self worth, I want to give myself the best chance at having a disease free life. I want an incredible wardrobe. I want choices. There are plenty of REASONS to lose/maintain weight. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking or not. But..

That motivation is not always around when the pizza, french fries and ice cream are. So, I don't rely on it - ever.

I rely on the COMMITMENT to do this - no matter what. I made the decision to lose the weight and then the commitment to lose the weight and keep it off and I intend to see it through. I am committed to doing this and therefore I do it - no matter what, whether I feel like it or not, whether the circumstances are right or not. That's it.

I made the commitment to good health/good eating and for me to do otherwise is no longer an option.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #7  
over and over again

S/C/G: 336.1/328.7/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Motivation? Well I want to LIVE, I want to be the best me - settling is no longer an option, I want to have the highest quality of life and not an inferior one, I want great doctors visits, I want self respect, self confidence, self worth, I want to give myself the best chance at having a disease free life. I want an incredible wardrobe. I want choices. There are plenty of REASONS to lose/maintain weight. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking or not. But..

That motivation is not always around when the pizza, french fries and ice cream are. So, I don't rely on it - ever.

I rely on the COMMITMENT to do this - no matter what. I made the decision to lose the weight and then the commitment to lose the weight and keep it off and I intend to see it through. I am committed to doing this and therefore I do it - no matter what, whether I feel like it or not, whether the circumstances are right or not. That's it.

I made the commitment to good health/good eating and for me to do otherwise is no longer an option.

Rockinrobin......what u said here is so right on the money. I want all of those things and when there r times that I make a bad food choice, I try not to beat myself up over it and quit. I work out a lil extra harder and eat better the rest of the day. I can't give up cos I want to have and feel all of those things u stated above. Thanx for posting that.
sarcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #8  
Happy as a clam..........

S/C/G: 268/178/165

Height: 5'8"

Robin........I could not have said it any better than that so I will just say
"Ditto"
downsizer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #9  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

This time around, I have had some "slip ups" (for lack of a better why to describe them) but I don't let that get me down. I keep getting back up and trying again. If I have a weekend of drinking and eating, I look at it and think about what I could have done differently and think about how I will use that to have a better plan for next time.

If I have a week where I don't get around to exercising, I don't just throw in the towel and give up the gym - I get right back tot he gym the following week.

The fact that I keep "plugging away" (as my mom would say) has really made me feel good about myself. This has really been an on-going learning process for me. It is going to take me some time to undo all the bad habits I have learned the last 31 years. And so, each time I only eat 2 pieces of pizza when I am at someone's house and we order pizza - that is a tremendous victory for me. When I eat a bazillion serving of veggies in one day - that is another huge victory. And I know the more and more I do these things, the easier it will all get.

Sometimes I tell myself, "Today is the hardest it will ever be. Once I get through today, tomorrow will be a little easier. If I can get through today, then I can accomplish my goals one day at a time". Because the more I exercise, the easier it will be. The more I stay "on plan", the closer I get to making it all a habit.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote