Lack Of Motivation

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Ive failed on every diet possible. Im going to be reaching 300 in no time if i dont stop and get a hold of my eating. its actually disgusting the amount i eat. theres nothing wrong with me besides my weight as far as injuries, high cholesterol, or high blood pressure. anyone have any advice please.
  • Figure out why did the diets failed YOU? (You don't fail a diet, but a diet may not be sustainable or right for you for many reasons.)

Was it too low in calories? Or cut out too much too soon? Was it not filling? Were you limited with choices of food? Did it require too much prep work? Not allow dining out? Too much dining out? Was it too demanding in exercise? Not enough exercise? Were you trying to rush results?

Do you know what you eat now? Keep a food log for 2 weeks with no changes at all.

Then try to cut 10% only via diet AND exercise. For example, if you eat 2000, then -10% would be -200 calories. You could trim 100 from diet and burn 100 in exercise to get it to the daily -200.

Make it doable. When you get comfortable there and fitter, you can go for -300, then -400, -500 for a nice, neat -1 lb a week.

You only get down the stairs one step at a time. Try to skip too many steps, and you will fall down.

A.
  • I am in the same boat, was calorie counting this month and fell off the wagon.. Just hang in there..Do it for health reason.. and taking day by day.. Good luck!
  • You've most likely failed on every diet because, not necessarily that you weren't motivated to lose the weight, but because you haven't been committed to it.

It really is about choice. You don't have to be fat if you don't want to be. You DO have the ability to lose each and every excess pound on you. You've got the power, you hold the key. You've got to DECIDE *to do this* once and for all, no matter what and permanently.

You've got to stop dieting and come to the realization and accept the fact that you can't go off and on diets, but that you must change the way you eat - forever.

For me, that couldn't happen until my desire to be thin outweighed, overtook and overpowered the desires for the high calorie/high quantity food. It was time. A change had to occur. The food TASTED good, but left me miserable. And that was no longer acceptable to me. I stopped settling for the short lived pleasure that the food gave me and instead opted for the all day high/good feelings that I get from being slim, trim, healthy and active.

DECIDE to do this, commit to do this, than map out a plan, a mode of attack - and do it. And remember it CAN be done - if you decide to, if you choose to.

I do hope that you choose to, because it turns our adhering to a healthy lifestyle is not the burden I always feared it would be, but it is a joy and a blessing.
  • And for me, it has been about commitment. I made a commitment to see this one through. Weight loss doesn't happen on my time schedule, unfortunately. I get frustrated with the pace and I quit. So this time I've committed myself to doing this for one year, no matter what the scale says. Yes, I've made a lifetime change! Some people take that one day at a time...I'm taking it one YEAR at a time.

That has been THE number one key to my success this time.
  • Eliana, I never, ever get tired of hearing about your 1 year commitment. Love it!!!
  • Eliana and Rockinrobin your posts have sure motivated ME this morning! Thanks for sharing!

Donna D., Hemet, CA
  • Quote: Eliana and Rockinrobin your posts have sure motivated ME this morning! Thanks for sharing!

Donna D., Hemet, CA
    Great - we've motivated ya!! - ummmm, but have we gotcha to COMMIT ????

I'll just mention one more important factor - yup, DECIDE to do this, COMMIT to it - but you've got to be WILLING to WORK for it. You've got to be WILLING to do what's necessary to MAKE it happen.

Wanting to lose weight very, very, very badly, very, very, very desperately is not enough - it's the willingness... Are you willing to do what it takes???

That's what we must ask ourselves.

The good thing is, is that good eating begets more good eating. If you allow yourself to work past the initial, temporary discomfort of saying no to yourself (avoiding temptation, NOT giving into cravings, NOT being influenced by your surroundings, stress, boredom, anger, etc), this good eating DOES become habitual and automatic. But you must, must, must work through the discomfort stage. Push yourself and push yourself, further than you think is possible - and suddenly you'll be doing the impossible!!!
  • You have made several similar posts.

Have you considered any kind of therapy or counseling to figure out your relationship with food?
  • I actually started reading this book that seems to be helping me. Ive been doing really well these past couple days. I actually got my butt to the gym.
  • I sympathize, I really do. You sound so much like myself. I too tried to diet time and again, and always ended up getting heavier when it fell through. In fact, 280 was also my starting weight. I was certain I could never really do it, lose that weight, because it was so hard. And exercise? Couldn't stand it, refused to do it. I felt like the quicksand was closing over my head.

But one day I decided enough was enough, and I've been fighting my weigh down ever since. My advice to you is, don't give up. Also, a few things that have helped me :

- Be very aware of your calories. Keep track of everything, even the tiny things. Study up on restaurants, and pay close attention to serving sizes, they're sneaky.
    - Knowledge is power. Research every aspect of calorie loss. 3 Chicks is great for this.
    - Get at least a tiny bit of exercise, even a small walk. It keeps the weightloss moving smoothly. Don't fret if it starts out slow.
    - Be patient. Those pounds will not come off fast... you're looking at months, probably years. And the second week is going to be ****. But if you keeping swimming against the tide, eventually it'll shift your way.

And most importantly, hang out with us here on Three Chicks! We want to support you!
  • Quote: I actually started reading this book that seems to be helping me. Ive been doing really well these past couple days. I actually got my butt to the gym.
    YAY!!!!! Getting thy butt to the gym is a good thing. But weight loss is according to many 80% FOOD/20% exercise - so how's that been going???? Sounds as if it's been good.

Now keep at it. No stopping - just continuing - work past the discomfort of not giving into your old eating/exercise habits as you try to establish new and healthy ones.

Keep at it. Keep at it. KEEP AT IT!!!!

You CAN do this.
  • Eat enough. At 280 lbs, you burn through a bunch of calories just breathing (I know. I was there, too). I was raised on the idea that a diet is 1200 calories. Period. That's reasonable if you are 140 and want to be 130. 280 is different. Don't be afraid to eat 2200-2400 at first. You will lose weight. You can and will cut that down as you lose.

For me, at least, nothing destroys motivation like constant, grinding hunger day after day.
  • Quote: Eliana, I never, ever get tired of hearing about your 1 year commitment. Love it!!!
    I agree! A very simple, but doable idea! Eliana, you have given yourself, and your family, an awesome gift.
  • For me, three things were crucial for starting and sticking with weight loss.

1) Hitting rock bottom, I had to have the moment of realization that "yes, unless I do something now, I'm just going to keep getting bigger. I need to change my life this moment." It was a pretty insignificant moment for me, my boyfriend is in the Army and I overheard some soldiers talking before the deployment. One said to the other "all girlfriends and wives either get skinny or fat during the deployment, and we all know which way most of them go." I knew that if I didn't change, it was simple fact, I'd get fatter. I did not want to get fatter anymore.

2) Second, I got the initial motivated high after my first success. I set a few very small mini goals. The thought of losing 50 pounds was terrifying, but losing the first 5 seemed achievable. I knew I couldn't promise myself that I'd go to the gym everyday for the next year, but I could say "I'm going to go for a 15 minute walk everyday this week," and not be afraid of failing. Small exercise goals, small eating goals, small behavior goals, etc. Meeting each of these goals sent me over the moon, I was so proud of myself. And it made me want to set bigger goals.

3) Realizing and accepting that motivation fades and then finding dedication to replace it. When I'm faced with the choice between pizza for dinner or a salad, I am NOT motivated to choose the salad. I have to remember my dedication to having a healthy weight to make the right decision.

I wish you the best in getting started. It really is a matter of being truly ready to find what works with you and stick with it.