Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #1  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Default Give me strength

Every month the place I work gets an order from the foodbank. It helps us stretch our tiny food budget a lot and allows me (the food shopper) to spend more on fruit, veggies, and healthy stuff.

One thing I always order when I can is the "miscellaneous snack box" which is a banana box full of various out dated or slightly shmushed snacks - chips, granola bars, pudding packs, cookies. You never know what you'll get but it is nearly always something we can use.

This month we got two banana boxes full of candy. Including some of my faves like Skor bars and Whoppers. Lots and lots of whoppers. Kit Kats, Hershey Special Dark, Reeces, really, pretty much you name it it's in the box. With more in the other box.

My clients (6 kids between the ages of 6 and 12) won't get much of this, we really limit the candy here. And even my co-workers, voracious as all get out, will be hard pressed to eat this much in the next month.

I am going to have to be strong through 12 hour nights when it's just me, 6 sleeping children, and two giant boxes of candy bars all trapped together.

I am just not sure I have it in me.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #2  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

Put it somewhere you can't see it! Out of sight, out of mind. Well, at least it works for me some of the time. Good luck! If you can't resist.... pick the one you like best, eat it, SAVOR it, and don't feel guilty. One candy bar for less that 300 pounds will not cause you to gain back the 38.8 lbs lost so far. Great job on the weight lost already!
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

We have a candy jar in our office and I used to frequent it. When I really committed to this I gave myself no choice when it came to the candy jar, no if ands or buts. The more time that passed the easier it became. Now I just remind myself of the sugar coma that will insue and how awful i'd feel after eating. Most days I never think about it. Be sure to bring yourself an acceptable sweet alternative that fits into your plan. And if no one is going to eat the candy give it away or back to the foodbank.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #4  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Hi Vladadog!

Hrm....What I would do...I would put all the candy quickly into a bag, knot it up and take it to my neighbor or a friend to remove the temptation. Or..what I would do as a second option, which I like better, I would put them all in a bag, knot it up, toss it on the floor and jump up and down on it with all of my frustration from having been weak to it in the past and crush all of the candy from here to Kingdom Come.

Problem solved.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #5  
Shifty Werewolf

Legally I can't give it away; it's part of the agreement we have with foodbank. And I'm sure I'd have upset co-workers if I threw it away (which I also can't legally do I don't think.) It will get eaten here, but just not as quickly as I'd like. I want that much temptation gone as quickly as possible.

I like Volleyballsis's idea of picking something special to savor but I don't trust myself to have just one. I'm usually pretty good with "just say no" but not so hot with "well, maybe just one".

I'm going to box them up and put them on a shelf in the garage and try to pretend I don't know they are there. Then I'll work out on the Wii and have some chocolate milk (that's my treat and I know I can handle it.)

I just wish the snack box had been granola bars, fig newtons, and wheat thins like last month... I wasn't at all tempted by any of those.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I have the same problem when there is a family dinner, each family member loads me up with chocolate as a random gift. I was the only kid in the family for the longest time, I'm now 23 and they still do it.

Luckily I have my fiance to eat most of it, but when I see him eating it, I want it too! Then I catch myself binging and saying it's okay because then the candy is gone sooner so it can't tempt me.

Stay strong! Don't let it grab you! Keep it out of sight and do other things until it's gone and you don't have to think about it anymore.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

Right now I feel like a drug pusher. Every co-worker I see I say "Oh! Don't forget to stock up on candy from the big box on top of the freezer in the garage!"

But I did good last night. I didn't eat anything. It was hard but I'm telling myself every night it'll be easier until my co-workers manage to eat all the temptation and save me from myself.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
Legally I can't give it away; it's part of the agreement we have with foodbank. And I'm sure I'd have upset co-workers if I threw it away (which I also can't legally do I don't think.)

Can you look at it as something you can't legally eat? Think of it - if it isn't yours to do as please, let throw it away or give it away, then think of it as not yours to eat!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote